Viking MT Tobin controller problem

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If you only have 4 wires on your old analog LED display connector, then the LCD you linked to on post #34 is not going to work as it is 5 wire and digital. Having said that, it will work with the new KT controller you bought, but you will need the new 4 to 1 cable to connect them together.

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
There should be four wires in the connector. Red is from the battery. Black is from the battery. They power the control panel. When you operate the switch on the panel, it switches on a blue wire that provides power to the controller. The fourth wire is green and is the pedal assist power wire. Again, if yours is not like this, please say how it is.
Yes there is red, green, yellow, and blue wire on the display- But there are 7 wires coming from the main controller unit

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
KT LCD8 is not compatible with the controller you show at the beginning of the thread. Why did you buy it? It seems a bit irrational after forum members told you what to buy. Are you in discussion with someone else?

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
I just tried attaching the battery and pressed the display and the display came on. However the weird thing is that there is a green wire from the handlebar display but at the bottom where the wired trails down inside the tube there is no green wire but at the top the wires split three ways and I guess the other two are the cadence sensor wires for the brakes? It must be the 3 model then

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do not try to connect that control panel to the controller that you showed at the beginning of the thread. It's not compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quantums

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Problem is OP's ask for help and then don't read advice given.
Compatibility issues then arise when they buy anything that takes their fancy.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I just tried attaching the battery and pressed the display and the display came on. However the weird thing is that there is a green wire from the handlebar display but at the bottom where the wired trails down inside the tube there is no green wire but at the top the wires split three ways and I guess the other two are the cadence sensor wires for the brakes? It must be the 3 model then
The display may switch on but all or some other functions won't work.

LCD displays are 5 wire (uart comms ) and communicate with more info via a paired compatible controller, extra functions and parameters are available that can be adjusted by the end user.

LED are 4 wire (analog) and don't have these extra functions they are basic on/off switches with battery led indicator and 3 power levels. They don't have the extra GREEN comms wire which you are mentioning that the LCD has.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi Quantums. Don't go cutting wires just yet! Am I right you have already bought a new controller and display ? They are both compatible except you are missing the main wiring loom that connects them together, try and contact vendor of you're controller and get the 4 in 1 lead for £6.90 it has 2 x red 1 x green and the 1 x yellow display connection you need as mentioned by wheeliepete! The one on the controller is orange and is for pas. I use the same system myself. looks like the same as on the new Viking mt tobin system. Could you post pictures of the motor/battery connections you have on you're bike?

Last edited:

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Hi Quantums. Don't go cutting wires just yet! Am I right you have already bought a new controller and display ? They are both compatible except you are missing the main wiring loom that connects them together, try and contact vendor of you're controller and get the 4 in 1 lead for £6.90 it has 2 x red 1 x green and the 1 x yellow display connection you need as mentioned by wheeliepete! The one on the controller is orange and is for pas. I use the same system myself. looks like the same as on the new Viking mt tobin system. Could you post pictures of the motor/battery connections you have on you're bike?
Thanks but too late. Wires are cut.

IT was Topbikekit sales that posted the parts links to me to buy, and I asked them if they would fit together and I posted pictures of my bike old controller etc., OK, and they said yes. But they sent 2 female connectors at the handlebar display and 1 too large connector at the controller. How do I know it is actually not the hub motor at fault? Looks like I am going to have to buy the whole kit again. Also not sure if I have to buy a compatible magnet too? TO be honest I don't like the LCD displays I liked the simple controller I had that came with the bike. This is my bike here but its out of warranty. e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/viking/viking-mt-tobin-electric-mountain-bike

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
O WELL put it down to experience then;) or you could get a pas for £5.35 and £6.90 for 4 in 1 cable, and solder all the cut wires together.

Last edited:

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Looks like I am going to have to buy the whole kit again and not sure about having to buy a magnet also? Are you talking about this one? topbikekit.com/1electric-bike-waterproof-cable-connector-for-meterbrake-and-throttle-p-523.html

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
They even have a diagram of all the wire identifications. PS: yes electric-bike-waterproof-cable-connector-for-meter brake-and-throttle. meter is display, aka 4 in 1 cable. It connects to the medium size connection out of the three available.

Last edited:

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
The display may switch on but all or some other functions won't work.

LCD displays are 5 wire (uart comms ) and communicate with more info via a paired compatible controller, extra functions and parameters are available that can be adjusted by the end user.

LED are 4 wire (analog) and don't have these extra functions they are basic on/off switches with battery led indicator and 3 power levels. They don't have the extra GREEN comms wire which you are mentioning that the LCD has.
Actually my handlebar display the original one had 5 power levels. See picture in earlier posts

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
You were lucky, most have 2 or 3, but your new LCD8 has 5, so happy days:D. Lets try and salvage something from this mess and start again:) Have you removed any connectors from your new controller?
no I just cut the plug off to access all the wires on the display and also the controller lead which goes I think to the display as people said here

Advertisers