Viking MT Tobin controller problem

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Try greenbikekit.com they have a pin out diagram of a lcd8 and just join the same coloured wires together and blank off the rest.
I connected all the wires but nothing works apart from the screen which only stays on the first screen. Someone said the controller is not compatible as it is digital.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No, only if it was brushed motor as they only have a pair of phase wires and not three, then it would only be for testing purposes.
You would have no way of controlling the power/amps draw from any battery so would draw max power all the time.

Reactions: Quantums

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The two controllers are different size.
The first link is for a normal std Hailong case , it is 15a rated and 6 mosfets.
The second link is for their large big case, it is 22a rated and 9 mosfets so the controller is longer. As already said they are different size so not compatible with each other.
In operation they carry out the exact same functions, both are signwave for 9 wire motor wire.

What you need to do is take stock of the parts you already have, esp the exact battery you have.
Show us a link or pic of every item you have bought along with connectors to save cutting any wires as this isn't always necessary.
So that you don't waste more money on buying wrong items, we can advise and give you a link to but the correct items if any are needed.
Impatience and inability to listen/read advice will get you know where bar wasting money and make you angry, possibly becoming disillusioned.

Many of us have made up individual kits from components without issues, just a case of selecting and buying compatible items.

Last edited:

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
The two controllers are different size.
The first link is for a normal std Hailong case , it is 15a rated and 6 mosfets.
The second link is for their large big case, it is 22a rated and 9 mosfets so the controller is longer. As already said they are different size so not compatible with each other.
In operation they carry out the exact same functions, both are signwave for 9 wire motor wire.

What you need to do is take stock of the parts you already have, esp the exact battery you have.
Show us a link or pic of every item you have bought along with connectors to save cutting any wires as this isn't always necessary.
So that you don't waste more money on buying wrong items, we can advise and give you a link to but the correct items if any are needed.
Impatience and inability to listen/read advice will get you know where bar wasting money and make you angry, possibly becoming disillusioned.

Many of us have made up individual kits from components without issues, just a case of selecting and buying compatible items.
This is my original controller

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KWYXPRL/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

Hooked the wires up red, black, blue, green yellow. But there was a brown which did not match the white on the controller. Everything lit up and worked when I pressed the buttons but the battery did not kick in when I tried it.
Brown is for lamp/ligth negative .
The led 790 display is analogue and not digital so not KT compatible AFAICT, it is a Kingmeter display and they are Luishi compatible.

Last edited:

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Brown is for lamp/ligth negative .
The led 790 display is analogue and not digital so not KT compatible AFAICT, it is a Kingmeter display and they are Luishi compatible.
Well, I was just desperate and it was cheap and was also recommended here in earlier post by Wheeliepete so. Actually, you know more than the God damn kit shop in Hong Kong. If you look on Amazon seller info page it says fits most ebikes. OF course they would say that to make sales

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 790 will fit all my bikes and every other bike on the forum, but won't work on the vast majority unless they have a compatible controller.

If you controller is KT then you have to use a KT lcd/led fir it to work correctly, we all like cheap but if cheap means not compatible then it is money wasted. In the end you pay 2 or 3 X the value of the original dearer item by having to buy twice or thrice.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
These things are very straight forward and easy to sort out. The only thing we need is the right information on what you started with. After 4 pages of discussion, I'm still totally confused and don't have a clue what you have. Fuzzy photos are OK for you because you can see what you have, but they don't help us.

If you want it sorted quickly and efficiently, give us some clear photos that show the connector and wires on your original LED control panel plus clear photos of all the connectors and wires coming out of your controller.

Is there any writing on the controllers circuit board?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Cheekyink

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2020
Is the PAS wired up in the correct sequnce ?
Hi I kept the original PAS it has the same 3 wire orange plug so I was hoping that it would work with the new controller, I am thinking that I should have bought a new PAS as well but should I buy a thumb throttle as well or will it work without the throttle ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thumb throttle is separate programming so independent.
Tell us the three wire colours from the controller and PAS or show us a pic of the connection, likely the wire sequence is wrong. 5v to 5v, Gnd to Gnd & Sig to Sig.

Cheekyink

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2020
Thumb throttle is separate programming so independent.
Tell us the three wire colours from the controller and PAS or show us a pic of the connection, likely the wire sequence is wrong. 5v to 5v, Gnd to Gnd & Sig to Sig.
Hi sorry for the delay but the wiring is the same on both controllers black red and white going to the same position in the julie waterproof connector are you sure it doesn't need a thumb throttle to complete the circuit ? I guess it could be a faulty PAS ? As the new controller is KT do I need to change the PAS to a KT compatible one ?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi sorry for the delay but the wiring is the same on both controllers black red and white going to the same position in the julie waterproof connector are you sure it doesn't need a thumb throttle to complete the circuit ? I guess it could be a faulty PAS ? As the new controller is KT do I need to change the PAS to a KT compatible one ?
The throttles always work independently from the pedal sensor, and are optional. Try pedalling backwards to see if that works.

It's possible that you've bought the wrong control panel. Which one did you have before? Which controller did you buy?

Advertisers