Voilamart 250w kit

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
9 fet Sinewave, the controller has the standard 6 wire J7061 hall connector.

Armadillo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
Does anyone know the gear ratio of a voilamart 250w hub, & the number of magnets?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does anyone know the gear ratio of a voilamart 250w hub, & the number of magnets?
If it is to ascertain the P1 value simply use GPS to calibrate P1 by matching the speed read outs.
Set lcd to 25km/h and P1 to 87 to begin with. If it under reads the GPS raise the P1 value, it it over reads lower the P1 value unti it is nearly spot on.

Armadillo

Jul 23, 2019
Voilamart 250w hub, KT 20A controller & LCD3.
System works fine but I can't get my speedometer to work accurately.
I already have an old speedo on the front wheel for reference.
I have adjusted the P1 value to 88 which seems to coincide with the old speedo up to 18.5 mph while pedaling.
If I go - say 22mph( old speedo ) the speed on the LCD reads 18.5 mph & won't go above it (while pedaling )
If I stop pedaling, then the LCD coincides with the old speedo. They both seem to coincide up to 18.5 mph.
Why does the PAS interfere with the speedometer at all ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Earlier, you said your motor has 8 wires, so no white speed sensor wire. Did you buy the external speed sensor like I suggested? If not, the speed read-out will always be internal motor speed, not bike speed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In #11 you said you had an 8 pin wire motor so speed is roughly calculated by cadence from PAS sensing/motor speed.
Have you or did you fit and external speed sensor with spoke magnet at all for a real world speed reading ?

Armadillo

Jul 23, 2019
I have a very old spoke magnet speed sensor on the front wheel. It transmits to a small screen on the handlebars. Is there a speed sensor that will plug into my controller & register on my LCD3 ?

Armadillo

Jul 23, 2019
There are altogether 9 wires going to rear hub. 3 motor phase! & a six pin plug - red black white yellow green blue.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
White is the speed signal. All you have to do is tell your controller to use it - set P2=1.
If the controller doesn't receive a signal from that wire, it'll default to the motor hall sensors for the speed signal where P1 takes effect, so you should check that the 5v on the white wire is in fact pulsing when the wheel turns.

If the motor's speed sensor is faulty (quite common and caused by the magnet detatching), you can use the speed sensor from your cycle computer. Cut off the sensor and join one wire to the white going into the controller and the other to either the red 5v or black ground to see which of the two works. Which one it is depends on whether the controller uses a pull-up or pull-down resistor on the sensor wire. No harm will be done if you try it on the wrong wire, but make sure that the red wire is 5v and not battery voltage for lights, accessories, etc.

Armadillo

Jul 23, 2019
White is the speed signal. All you have to do is tell your controller to use it - set P2=1.
If the controller doesn't receive a signal from that wire, it'll default to the motor hall sensors for the speed signal where P1 takes effect, so you should check that the 5v on the white wire is in fact pulsing when the wheel turns.

If the motor's speed sensor is faulty (quite common and caused by the magnet detatching), you can use the speed sensor from your cycle computer. Cut off the sensor and join one wire to the white going into the controller and the other to either the red 5v or black ground to see which of the two works. Which one it is depends on whether the controller uses a pull-up or pull-down resistor on the sensor wire. No harm will be done if you try it on the wrong wire, but make sure that the red wire is 5v and not battery voltage for lights, accessories, etc.
P2 = 1 works really well. Now LCD speed matches bike speed sensor all the time. Thanks