WANTED : Geared Hub - Any...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello all,
Some of you may know about my BPM killing a bearing. On waiting for this to be fixed I thought it would be a good oppertunity to see if anyone has a spare motor they would like to sell me.

Preferably geared.
RPM's don't really matter, I have enough Lipo and controllers to match the motor with my pedalling speed.

180w - 250w or anything above not particuly fussy about it.
Cash waiting... An its January...

Doesn't need to be laced in a wheel either. I can do all of that.
PM me or send me a text.

Regards
Scott

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Nope I haven't, which is a shame.
I still have my BPM running at the moment. Its not as quiet as it used to be as the cage bearing is probably on its way out. However the motor itself works as normal.

The clutch is locked on it though and I've regreased it all and it has made a difference. I'm not sure how long it will last now. I've also tried to waterproof the motor as much as possible. Will just have to see how it goes. I'll be running it into the ground anyway.

might go this week. might go in a year. all depends on those bearings...

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I was exchanging texts with you on Friday, but heard nothing more off you, so assumed you were sorted out. You're welcome to try my bafang out. What I really want is too understand how its performance compares with other motors, I only have the Tongxins for comparison.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello GT3,
Thanks for the above. You are the one with the Bafang Swxk Front 250w Motor then?
On the lipo I have it should pull about 20mph and be quite quick.

Probably be pushing the little motor but what do you need to compare it exactly?

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Yes. I wanted to know how it compares with the motor you have and then I can ascertain whether there is a limitation in my electronics.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello GT3,
It will be less than the BPM becasue of the size of the Stators and Magnets. It will be naturally less. The copper fill will also be less. So the amount of power / current you can safely push through it will be less.

The standard motors are generally ok up to 600 - 700 watt without failure.
Large long inclines would probably fry the hall sensors (Is its sensored) though.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks, that's useful. I'm on the verge of ordering a 350W BPM as the best replacement for my Tongxin performance.

In the meanwhile,the SWXK is here if you need it.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
To be honest with the way prices are on the Bafangs you may as well order a Mac from Cell_man as there similar prices currently... Least that way you get more support and you get to choose exactly what you want.

The Bafang BPM a year ago cost roughly $150 USD for an entire kit with the motor built into a wheel. Now they are about $180 for the motor only.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Scotty, thanks for that, I've emailed emission-free. Never heard of him before.

Bob, I would much prefer to buy my kit over here, but your link is exactly what frustrates me. I know there are numerous bafang variants, yet your page does not tell me what you're selling, what performance it will achieve or who it is suitable for.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
If you want to have a go on the BPM before you make a purchase let me know and you can have a go on it.
I'm based in the center of Birmingham.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks, that's a kind offer. I have a few emails out at the moment, I'll see what comes back to me and take it from there.