Website update

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
It isn't quite finished yet, I believe, but the appearance and layout of the site has been improved considerably by the update. I like it!

Tom
Ah see I’m not a fan but I will obviously get used to it
I do hope the ignore thing comes back soon thou even for whole pieces of the site like ignoring speed pedelec section which I have no interest in as I did before amongst other bits
I’m sure there’s a lot involved all together so will take some time to iron out

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's horrendous. There was nothing wrong with the old layout.
But as Russ has said, more than half are now viewing on phones or tablets and their needs are different, the old version not as suitable. I think we'll see these changes more and more as viewing becomes increasingly mobile.

I only visit on my PC so the former versions were fine for me too, but I'm quickly getting used to this one.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I too only view on laptop or pc. Starting to find my way around.
There are two things that I would ask to be tweaked.
The flashing adverts on the left side are very agressive, almost strobe like. Could they be toned down, slower less intense flash?
The difference between the bold font (for new posts) and the standard font is not noticeable enough I am finding.

One of the things I like about this forum is the ease and clarity of reading, good to see that has been maintained. Bearing in mind the age range of most of us old gits on here;)

• Agree
Reactions: russ18uk and D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All tinkering/change takes time to get used to and the new look looks fresh and good to me.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The flashing adverts on the left side are very agressive, almost strobe like. Could they be toned down, slower less intense flash?
The difference between the bold font (for new posts) and the standard font is not noticeable enough I am finding.
Exactly my thoughts, I don't add block on this site as yet so please can we have none flashing adds.
Keep up the good work:)
Dave

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
I too only view on laptop or pc. Starting to find my way around.
There are two things that I would ask to be tweaked.

One of the things I like about this forum is the ease and clarity of reading, good to see that has been maintained. Bearing in mind the age range of most of us old gits on here;)
I ended up blocking them in uBlock. Static ones would be better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't see any ads on the left, just a single four part ad. on on the right with two parts flipping the message. But that doesn't disturb, I had to go looking since I'd been so unaware of any ads.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, m struggling finding edit function for previously posted items.???
Think a better selection policy would have been good.(ban remainers) . And a more robust attempt at stopping insults... Tom is still at it, could have been a new start for us all.
Ps. Found edit...

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I don't see any ads on the left, just a single four part ad. on on the right with two parts flipping the message. But that doesn't disturb, I had to go looking since I'd been so unaware of any ads.
There's a vertical string of 9 Ads on the left (they used to be on the right). The Electric Bike Sales one is the worst, with the Juicy one a close second. I think part of it is that they 'flash' at different frequences, so they are out of time with each other. As a drummer it drives me nuts. If the changes could somehow be faded instead of flashed, it would be OK.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's a vertical string of 9 Ads on the left (they used to be on the right). The Electric Bike Sales one is the worst, with the Juicy one a close second. I think part of it is that they 'flash' at different frequences, so they are out of time with each other. As a drummer it drives me nuts. If the changes could somehow be faded instead of flashed, it would be OK.
I don't see any of that in Firefox on my PC. The photo below is of my desktop:

Clipboard01.jpg

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Flecc,

I haven't finished tweaking the layout yet, but basically there is a left column that appears on wider displays which has a number of the button banners that used to appear on the right.

What will happen is they will move around depending upon the screen size and device being used.

This is why the old template could not be used when we upgraded the site, everything is about responsive design now and catering for the many different screen sizes, layouts and devices.

Thanks
Russ.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I will have a look at that and edit the animations to see if that offers any improvement.

Thanks
Russ.

Reactions: Fingers

Advertisers