What battery? (to replace swytch)

jcaira

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2023
So I have the remains of a Swytch Kit, basically just the hub and the battery. I replaced the controller with a KT controller and all the wiring to make it work. Recently the battery isn't quite lasting long enough for my commute. I've had it for quite a few years so it's had a lot of use.

What would be a good replacement for the swytch battery, preferably one that will fit in the same case?
Thanks

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have one of them, which I stopped using.

The battery inside is nothing I ever saw as 'standard' although you can probably have one custom built to fit, maybe £250+ ish ........

jcaira

Sep 14, 2023
Could you recommend anything else if I did ditch the case. I would probably need to be able to mount it on the handlebars as this is on a bmx so I have limited options to where it goes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Look on ebay for 36v softpack battery, one may be able to find one that fits .
You will of course make sure you measure the size correctly .

You don't give us much at all to go on , no dimensions or even a pic of the battery or inside the case/bag.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Chuck that stupid Swytch bag and get any 36v battery you want. Maybe show a picture of the bike if you want advice on which options there are.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I would like to see some pictures too. I don't quite understand what is the point of installing electric kit on BMX bike.

Last edited:

jcaira

Sep 14, 2023
Thanks for the advice so far and apologies for the lack of photos. I will try and take some today.

It's not quite a standard Bmx, I have raised the seat post and the handlebars to make it a bit more comfortable. The point of installing the kit is to make my commute a bit easier, it's quite a hilly ride. I am not doing tricks on it. It's really fun too, I love it everytime I go out on it.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Thanks for the advice so far and apologies for the lack of photos. I will try and take some today.

It's not quite a standard Bmx, I have raised the seat post and the handlebars to make it a bit more comfortable. The point of installing the kit is to make my commute a bit easier, it's quite a hilly ride. I am not doing tricks on it. It's really fun too, I love it everytime I go out on it.
That is very surprising to hear about BMX used as commuter. Simply because they are not designed for that purpose. I am looking forward to see pictures of your bike.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019

I've got something like that (a Mk 1 Swytch) which I modified to reduce the bag profile and relocated a battery to a rear pannier (a Yose 36V). I like it - it is a different feel from the heavier Decathlon 500s I also have. I can also use it for shorter journeys with Bosch 36V batteries. See a previous posts ( here is an example but there are pictures somewhere). Peter

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So I have the remains of a Swytch Kit, basically just the hub and the battery. I replaced the controller with a KT controller and all the wiring to make it work. Recently the battery isn't quite lasting long enough for my commute.
Can you stop fast enough when you need to? If not, is there any way to install a front brake?

Is your commute fairly flat? You've got the wheeled advantage for climbing hills, but with limited ease for your battery and you, because of course your BMX is a fixie. I imagine steep hill climbs could be difficult.