What do we think?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't get it.
why some members are fascinated by the Mosso frame?
it looks ordninary to me.
the motor seems to be put at the worst place for offroad.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It's ok if you don't want to do the work yourself. I don't know why they haven't rotated the motor right up to the down tube though - there's plenty of room for it :-/

You could do it cheaper by buying a similar spec bike and the 8fun BBS kit + battery seperately. The BBS kits are very easy to fit.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't get it.
why some members are fascinated by the Mosso frame?
it looks ordninary to me.
the motor seems to be put at the worst place for offroad.
I don't think anybody is particularly fascinated with the Mosso frame, are they? What's more interesting is the total package and the price. That's the first tidy 48v 750w bike I've seen on Ebay, and the price is reasonable. You could build one yourself for a bit less. The kit would cost about £700 with that battery, and you'd still have to sort out brake switches and run the risk of strange software. also,you know what price you'll pay because no duty. A new donor bike like that would cost about £400 upwards, so to me the price seems fair. I would expect that they'll sell well. Compare it with this one , which costs £100 more:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bike-Electric-Mountain-Bike-Lifepo4-30-60amp-BMS-1000w-48v-Fast-32mph-/151257920121?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2337acb279

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Ah, I missed it being a 48v750w bike - in that case it does seem a good deal. It'd be dead easy to whip a crank off and rotate the motor to where it should be.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
Thank you d8veh,that is just the sort of information I was looking for. I currently have a BS10 ,would this crank drive be considerably more powerful than that for climbing? Also I noticed that in the advert headline it says "48V 12Ah Li-ion Battery" but in the technical specs in the main body of the ad it says "36V 12AH black water kettle Li-ion Battery" together with a "36V 2A Charger" is this a typo or should it be 48v? sorry if this is a stupid question but, like many on here, I have no experience in this field and rely on kind members on here to shed light on what to a beginner can be a total minefield. Cheers.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how about this: get this £411 Felt bike from Tredz:

buy a BBS01 kit from Woosh for £320 and buy a 48V battery if you like. Cheaper and better warranty.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd ask the vendor to confirm the battery spec. The 750w BSS01 is definitely 48v, so I'm pretty sure that's a typo, which is very common with Chinese vendors, when they cut and paste stuff from one listing to another.

I would expect it to have a lot more power than a BS10. It should be 48v x 25 amps = 1200w compared with the BS10 36v x 18 amps (guess) = 650w

Reactions: rippedupno1
D

Deleted member 4366

how about this: get this £411 Felt bike from Tredz:

buy a BBS01 kit from Woosh for £320 and buy a 48V battery if you like. Cheaper and better warranty.
(note to self: must remember, nobody likes beancounters).
I don't think Woosh do the BBS01 anymore. The Mosso is the 750w version (48v 25 amps), for which you need a decent battery. I woould think that in the frame pod type, that would set you back about £350 from China. The motor kit would be about £350, so to convert that bike would cost £1100, and you still have to sort out brake switches. Nice bike though. If you wanted one like that and have the skills, it would make a nice conversion. The Mosso is ready-made for those that just want to swap their pound notes for a big ebike smile.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I wonder how well the chain and sprockets will cope with that kind of power? It does also limit the gearing, but then you shouldn't need any low gears with that power.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Artstu, that's a sensible question. Anything higher than 25mph should be propelled by direct drive motors.

Reactions: flecc

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Chain and sprockets are good up to about 2000watts - just don't shift under power. On my BBS kit I've fashioned a micro switch and spliced it into the ebrake line to cut power when shifting.

Artstu, that's a sensible question. Anything higher than 25mph should be propelled by direct drive motors.
Don't know about that - my 500w BBS-02 tops out at 30mph with a 46t front chainring and 11t rear. Climbs great when in the 32t rear gear.

My geared Mac used to easily top 40mph without breaking a sweat - but that was pushing 2000 watts.

D

Deleted member 4366

I wonder how well the chain and sprockets will cope with that kind of power? It does also limit the gearing, but then you shouldn't need any low gears with that power.
Chain and sprockets will take a hammering on any crank-drive bike. Obviously, the higher the power, the more chance you have of smashing something when you mess up your gear-change going up a hill. Derailleurs and cassettes don't cost that much though, especially if you get used ones from Ebay. Personally, I prefer a hub-motor for that reason, but that's another discussion. I don't think that there'll be anything to worry about on that Mosso. You always have to compromise between power, speed, reliability, comfort, weight, cost, complexity, convenience and other factors on any bike. At the moment, you can''t have it all.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you want 30mph, there are a few good DD motors to choose from and a lot cheaper than the BBS

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Personally, I prefer a hub-motor for that reason, but that's another discussion.
I quite agree, once the power gets above what is considered legal, crank drive is going to be a liability.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I imagine they're very hard on chains and sprockets, high wear rate and possible chain failure. and some brutal gear changes if you need to change gear on a very steep hill.

I know my bike is hard on chains, and mine doesn't have anything like that sort of power.

Reactions: rippedupno1

Advertisers