What ever happened to...

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
While I was looking the other way, cassette tape recorders vanished. They were cheap, functional and almost idiot proof. They were very useful to people who play musical instruments. They enabled you to really listen to your playing. Is there a modern equivalent, that is as easy to operate, and is as affordable?

D

Deleted member 4366

Just about all laptop and PC have simple stereo sound recording function, which is a program called Sound Recorder in Windows Accessories folder. It works just like a cassette recorder - record and play. That's probably what wiped out the need for recorders. Non Windows systems have equivalents. The proper studio recorders like Audacity and Reaper are better because you can record multi-tracks and you can record several takes, then make a master with the best bits from each, so you don't have to get the whole thing right in one go.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Most smartphones will have a simple recording and playback function and used just like a dictaphone. These should (unless you are recording very high noise levels) work perfectly well for recording acoustic music. You should be able to save the recorded file as an mp3.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. My immediate needs have been met by a mate giving me his cassette recorder that he never uses now. I will in the future be looking at other solutions, as the ability to make multi track recordings is something I would like to have a play with.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. My immediate needs have been met by a mate giving me his cassette recorder that he never uses now. I will in the future be looking at other solutions, as the ability to make multi track recordings is something I would like to have a play with.
The cheapest way to multitrack with at least some semblance good quality is to get an audio interface and use your computer and some software.

For a two track portable for not really a lot of money, the Zoom Hn4 is hard to beat. It's simply not going to give you Apogee quality but I know a few people that use and love them.

Guitar inputs as well as effects and what is supposedly a surprisingly reasonable x/y mic set up (if you don't know the x/y mic technique then it's worth a read) it all seems like quite an amazing deal for the money.

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Zoom-H4n-SP-Handheld-Digital-Recorder-and-FREE-Power-Supply-and-SD-Card/14Y6?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA Shop - Zoom&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=2 - Brand Level - Zoom&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=53070d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=118372845679&gclid=CJuAnpnQhMUCFWfItAodF34AoQ

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The cassette will probably sound better. I have some recordings on cassette taken thirty years ago from my then deck which still bounce and syncopate and sound better than the digital versions.

Reactions: neptune

Advertisers