What is a complete chain link?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I know this might sound like super noob question, but what is considered to be one chain link.

Is it the inner and outer part as shown in the picture below?

Chain.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
F-u-l your diagram shows a linked pair which I would call 2 links,
If counting chain length then you count each individual link so my 700c is 118 links. If removing links then you remove a pair which some may incorrectly call ( one link ). if you were to fit a snap link to a chain you would only take out the outer link ( one link ). However I'm sure there will be disagreement on this but if you buy a bog standard chain it will have 114/116 individual links.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know this might sound like super noob question, but what is considered to be one chain link.

Is it the inner and outer part as shown in the picture below?

View attachment 14932
Yes, this is a chain link. Sorry Neal but what you are calling a link is a half link. Indeed one can buy half links, these having stepped sides to enable shortening a chain by a half link. You can see one on this link.

You can even buy chains entirely made of half links, once again proving the point. A half link chain can be seen on this link.

The fact that some chain makers count differently by half-links is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, this is a chain link. Sorry Neal but what you are calling a link is a half link. Indeed one can buy half links, these having stepped sides to enable shortening a chain by a half link. You can see one on this link.

You can even but chains entirely made of half links, once again proving the point. A half link chain can be seen on this link.

The fact that some chain makers count differently by half-links is irrelevant.
This is where the problem/confusion lies, retailers selling with different descriptions. In theory a standard chain should be sold as 57 or 58 link chain but nearly always described as a 114/116 link chain.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
So what's a pair of hinges?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A hange? :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: Croxden

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Clue, a door is either hung on a pair or a pair & a half (three).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is where the problem/confusion lies, retailers selling with different descriptions. In theory a standard chain should be sold as 57 or 58 link chain but nearly always described as a 114/116 link chain.
What makes the manufacturers description method wrong is that the sections are two different things:

Two part link.jpg

A above is a pair of sideplates joined by two rivets, while B is a narrower spaced pair of side plates joined by sleeved rollers.

As two different things they cannot both have the same identity.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I would class a 50 plate chain as 100 links, as does DID etc in the motorcycle industry. A link is classed as a "pin" and you never buy odd link chains.

The "half link" seems to be more prevalent in old motorcycles and bicycles, you'd never fit a half link to a GSXR etc..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The "half link" seems to be more prevalent in old motorcycles and bicycles, you'd never fit a half link to a GSXR etc..
Indeed, and it's bicycles we are speaking of, where a link has always been an inner and outer section. It has been ever since I joined the trade in 1950.

I think the more recent habit of numbering to match the number of teeth positions probabably arose to cope with public confusion about the issue.

Advertisers