What is reasonable price for nipping up bike disc rotor?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
A nice smile from one of my reception ladies and a cup of coffee.
I can guarantee top quality workmanship from my highly skilled technicians,we ensure retention of our labour by putting them on the latest employment contracts....that is minimum wage and zero hours. Please make an appointment because some of them are on the job testers....deliveroo riders.
Make it quick because post Brexit our super competitive rates might have to rise if we lose the Polish guys.
KudosDave
Ahh, ok,,,

Thanks but No Thanks,

I can get all that service at my local Tescos

for nuthin`!

Reactions: Xdrive

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
To be serious for a minute....if someone comes up to my warehouse on a Kudos bike or any bike and we can help them one of my guys will break away from his job and help them,if it's a quick job we don't normally charge,it happens rarely so I accept it.
But I am respectful of the local bike shop,often a one or two man operation...even the most modest premises with rip-off business rates,rent,insurance and reasonable wage,that equates to £300 per day expenses,working a 10 hour shift that's £30 per hour. It would not be unreasonable to charge £50 per hour.
I am sure these LBS's constantly get the 'couldn't just look at my bike,the brakes are squealing,won't take you a minute'....if that happens 10 times a day,taking the guy away from a paying job,it would not be unfair to charge minimum 30 mins,£25.00.
Many don't and many are scratching to make a living,they seem to open and close regularly in my local town.
KudosDave

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
£53.00 plus vat....that's our minimum charge.
Compare to a BMW dealer,minimum charge now £128.00 plus vat.
KudosDave
Two years ago the national average charge was over £84 and South West London's almost £141.

Three BMW dealers in the capital had been charging over £200, one in Chiswick the highest in Britain at £215.

Highest was a garage at West Byfleet, Surrey charging £240, and lowest a garage at Smethwick, Birmingham charging £36. For a larger job money might be saved by having a car carried on a transporter to Smethwick and back!

• Informative
Reactions: Kudoscycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am sure these LBS's constantly get the 'couldn't just look at my bike,the brakes are squealing,won't take you a minute'....if that happens 10 times a day,taking the guy away from a paying job,it would not be unfair to charge minimum 30 mins,£25.00.
Many don't and many are scratching to make a living,they seem to open and close regularly in my local town.
KudosDave
Yes, as far back as 1950 it was like this in the cycle trade, and scratching a living was a struggle. The business I worked for then was, like a few others post war, combining cycle with motorcycle, but 20 years later they gave up that two business struggle and became motorcycle only and have never looked back.

The numbers of bike shops I've known close over the years in various areas is a multiple of the number that exist, and it's trade I got out of at 18 after four years in it.

The trade has a fundamental problem, it's possible to buy a new bike for £50, less than a fair business labour charge for an hour.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
kudosdave good job i didn't bring my bike to your shop then! I think you have changed your tone because you know it's not the way to deal with customers. You are rambling on about overheads and rates/hour and that your "technicians" are the mutz nutz when all we are talking about is a simple 2 min job.

Infact you can charge whatever you like but as long as the customer is made aware of the charges before any work is carried out.

Also I would have spent more money at the shop on other bits and bobs even if it meant paying a bit more had they done a 2 minute adjustment like this FOC. A kind gesture goes a long way. :)

• Agree
Reactions: StewC

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
kudosdave good job i didn't bring my bike to your shop then! I think you have changed your tone because you know it's not the way to deal with customers. You are rambling on about overheads and rates/hour and that your "technicians" are the mutz nutz when all we are talking about is a simple 2 min job.

Infact you can charge whatever you like but as long as the customer is made aware of the charges before any work is carried out.

Also I would have spent more money at the shop on other bits and bobs even if it meant paying a bit more had they done a 2 minute adjustment like this FOC. A kind gesture goes a long way. :)
I am not a bike shop,I am a mail order warehouse,the last thing we want is customers bringing bikes to us to repair,that is the job of a LBS.
I changed my tone because I moved away from jest to telling it as it really is....sadly times have changed,rent/rates/insurance have risen so much that the little LBS cannot really afford the 'kind gesture' but many still do.
We and our parent company are not in the business of repairing or maintaining product,i long ago realised that selling things is much more lucrative than making or repairing things.
I noticed in my boat marina the repair shop had a sign 'minimum charge to come to the boat 100 euros'....seems unfair but it reflects the times we live in,he is still very busy.
KudosDave

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

A kind gesture goes a long way, but doesn't pay wages, or overheads. Were you a charity case? If not then why expect charity.
I came accross a maxim some years ago.. no good deed goes unpunished...
At the risk of reigniting the Sunday times / Kevin Myer story of last week, that was the core of his argument. That members of a particular religion have a reputation for valuing their expertise, and expect others to pay for using their expertise....

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
A kind gesture goes a long way, but doesn't pay wages, or overheads. Were you a charity case? If not then why expect charity.
I came accross a maxim some years ago.. no good deed goes unpunished...
At the risk of reigniting the Sunday times / Kevin Myer story of last week, that was the core of his argument. That members of a particular religion have a reputation for valuing their expertise, and expect others to pay for using their expertise....
I'm not expecting charity but if there is a charge then price before hand would be courteous. Don't touch my bike then pluck a figure from thin air.

Their are many other shops that will look at my bike for FOC so will take else where.

f rate is £60/hr then a 2 min job equals £2 and not £10. Oh yes forgot about the £8 for using brain cells for a few seconds. Hehe

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
They have made a tenner but lost far more. I had a small family run business and many times did small favours for folk which didn't take long and quite honestly weren't worth invoicing for the time it took.
I was paid back many times with repeat custom, recommendations and even small presents in gratitude.
What paid most of all to me was the thanks and the feeling of having made someones day that little bit better.
They where stupid to charge you as you will now vote with your feet and tell all your friends.
Dave.

• Agree
Reactions: StewC

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
They have made a tenner but lost far more. I had a small family run business and many times did small favours for folk which didn't take long and quite honestly weren't worth invoicing for the time it took.
I was paid back many times with repeat custom, recommendations and even small presents in gratitude.
What paid most of all to me was the thanks and the feeling of having made someones day that little bit better.
They where stupid to charge you as you will now vote with your feet and tell all your friends.
Dave.
Absolutely. The shop is not scraping it in fact the shop has huge stock and looks very sharp and also have online shop.

In all honesty the mechanic is awesome guy. With my e-bike he went far and beyond to sort it (with in warranty) and also most of the sales staff.

I will probably use them again but maybe not as frequent. The halfords close by are really good and have taken a look at my bike FOC few times with helpful advice.

Reactions: Peter Thornton

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In all honesty the mechanic is awesome guy.
I think you have answered your own question.
Is he worth the £10 charge? Yes. No doubt about it.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and flecc

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont

You did realise he was just at the wind up didn't you?

• :D
Reactions: Wicky and flecc

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
sorry kudos dave. i see you were only having a laugh. I will recommend you to all my buddies at the nursing home. Could do with your e-bikes. :p

I've got the tools at home for most maintenance bike work and a nice bike stand from aldi (it's actually exceptional value for money, dead impressed).

I'm quite handy with a set so will use youtube to do the odd jobs from now on. I inspected front hub bearings and adjusted cones. front wheel feels a lot better. Also degreased front brake pads and lightly sanded. Also adjusted my front derailleur as it was rubbing.

Next thing to do will be headset bearings as long as i don't need any clamps.

if any of you guys want any work doing it's £60/hr & £10 minimum charge. I have rent to pay, as well kids nappies and gas bills. ;)

thanks to everyone who commented positively and also to the sad few hehe. have a great week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudoscycles and D C

Advertisers