What is This!

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I know this is a bit stupid but I found a little tool in the bag my Giant eBike provided with the instructions and paper work. I have definately used it once but for the life of me can't remember what it was used for. Any thoughts?Ebike Tool.jpgAs an aside I found it better to scan little pieces like this rather than try to use a camera as the result is a nice sharp focus and a much smaller file!

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I know this is a bit stupid but I found a little tool in the bag my Giant eBike provided with the instructions and paper work. I have definately used it once but for the life of me can't remember what it was used for. Any thoughts?View attachment 36248As an aside I found it better to scan little pieces like this rather than try to use a camera as the result is a nice sharp focus and a much smaller file!
Its a valve core removal tool

Reactions: argoose

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Its a valve core removal tool
Of Course! I tried it and the centre square cut out fits the valve head. Next time I replace the tyre sealant, as I did yesterday, I will do it through the valve rather than the sidewall. One tyre pumped up OK but had to remove rear wheel and take it to local garage to use their airline. What a performance to remount the wheel single handed. Found it easier to remove the gears first. At one time I would have upturned the bike to make things easier, but more stuff on the handlebar makes this awkward now! Need to work out a way of sucking out old tyre sealant which was still liquid otherwise I will mix old with new. Probably a syringe with tubing small enough to go down the presta valve body.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Of Course! I tried it and the centre square cut out fits the valve head. Next time I replace the tyre sealant, as I did yesterday, I will do it through the valve rather than the sidewall. One tyre pumped up OK but had to remove rear wheel and take it to local garage to use their airline. What a performance to remount the wheel single handed. Found it easier to remove the gears first. At one time I would have upturned the bike to make things easier, but more stuff on the handlebar makes this awkward now! Need to work out a way of sucking out old tyre sealant which was still liquid otherwise I will mix old with new. Probably a syringe with tubing small enough to go down the presta valve body.
comes with filler tube

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats all i do every 3 months just remove the valve and syringe in more sealant so a 2min job.

i use a thin cocktail stick to check the level in the tyre and add whats needed but pretty much all gone after 3 months.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
thats all i do every 3 months just remove the valve and syringe in more sealant so a 2min job.

i use a thin cocktail stick to check the level in the tyre and add whats needed but pretty much all gone after 3 months.
Orangeseal comes with a dipstick too. last longer than three months.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i use this after the stans no tube disaster lol.

Reactions: Steve A and argoose

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness

But if you add new sealant topping up the remaining old stuff, will the result be less effective than all new. A friend gave me an unwanted bottle of the stuff, a couple of years old and it was like water, no stickiness at all! Has the old stuff nearly all gone or turned to solid latex on the tyres insides? I suspect a tyre off inspection every 4 doses at least to check the insides are not getting cludged up? I like the cocktail stick though!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i did use stans no tubes and that did leave gunk in the tyre but eddie pj has been using the caffellatex for years and leaves no gunk in the tyres and i also use a dip stick to check the levels.DSC_0384.JPG
if you dont shake it up now and then thats what happens.

Related Articles

Advertisers