What is your experience of the KTM Macina Action?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I recently mentioned on another thread that my beloved Ave XH3 (2012) has been written off, following a road accident. The third party insurer is offering to supply a Macina Action 27 2014, the spec of which looks good (low weight thanks to alu frame, nice RLO Rockshox forks when many brands are going to Suntour, central Bosch crank).

The insurer has a preferential relationship with a large bike supplier in Swansea called Wheelies, who offer 17% discount to insurers. Thus they will offer a £2150 bike or the same cash sum minus that discount. That puts me in a difficult position, as £1784 isn't enough to get a MTB of this quality that is also local to me (Birmingham, UK). I've been looking at crank drive MTBs from Scott, Ave, KTM, Moustache etc.

Availability of Bosch central crank systems is limited anyway, due to production issues with Bosch.

Now the Macina Action looks like a great bike on paper, but I am cautious about accepting a bike they won't let me test-ride first, and I'm worried about losing local support. Wheelies are somewhat reassuring - they are a large firm and courier hundreds of bikes a week, which may mean they'll be happy to return the bike to base for repair if a problem crops up.

I should be interested here to hear from any Macina Action owners, or dealers who have experience of them. Are you happy with the ride? What is your view of component quality? Have you had to return to base to get tweaks shortly after buying?

I'd prefer to go with a 2014 XH-3, since Ave is a proven brand for me, but that option may incur significant extra delay and expense (both due to long lead times and inadequate insurance settlement) and I'd be without a bike in the meantime for three months anyway. So the KTM may be worth a go - your reflections on that model would therefore be valuable.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I test rode a Macina Action 29 at the London Leccy Bike event at Redbridge in London last week and it was top notch.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/redbridge-2014-may-18-afternoon.17580/page-3

The motor does what it says on the tin and it handled all the inclines and off road sections with consummate ease. Power assistance came from the motor all the way to an indicated 17mph. Compared to all the other bikes it did have wide handlebars - so depending on what you're used to might feel odd at first, but come into their own when hustling along offroad.

As for test ride yourself why not ask London Leccy Bike guys for a go before committing? After the opportunity provided it was enough to convince me to purchase the bargain ex-demo KTM eRace 29 P offered last week here by Colin from FLi Distribution.

Reactions: EddiePJ

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Like Wicky, above, tried the KTMs at Redbridge, I agree wholeheartedly, KTMs are very well made bikes with quality components. The torque from both bikes coped with the test track with ease. I bought the eRace P demo bike on the evidence on the day, from London Electric Bike Shop.
Both the Bosch and Panasonic powered models are a brilliant ride, you wont be disappointed.

Reactions: LEBC Tom

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Halfer,

The third party insurer is only obliged to put you back in the position you were the moment before the accident - riding a 2012 AVE XH3.

The offer of a new KTM looks very fair to me.

I doubt there's much to choose between the two, both are quality bicycles.

The KTM will be a bit different being a 29er and having the later Bosch motor.

Are you happy with it being a 29er?

They tend to sit higher than 26" wheel bikes, so generally don't suit shorter riders.

Are you happy with it being a 29er?

They tend to sit higher than 26" wheel bikes, so generally don't suit shorter riders.
Should just highlight its a 27.5" wheel bike that he's been offered.

They could have stock because they have bought some off us.

The two dealers I spoke to recently who had ordered these bikes both sold them with 24 hours of them coming into stock.

If you want some independent advice, atmosphere eBike in Bristol, eMotion in Swindon and Cyclijg Made Easy in London have all sold their stock of these bikes and wanted more, but we've sold out now.

Very popular bike this one.

If you have any specific questions or concerns ill try to help.

Regards
Col

Reactions: halfer and RobF

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
The third party insurer is only obliged to put you back in the position you were the moment before the accident
Indeed, that's my point - prior to the accident I had local bike support I could rely on. I get a bike with nicer components, but I can't try it and lose the local support - so I don't feel like I'm in the same position.

They initially said they could get one within a week, but given sourcing difficulties I suspect they'll find out they can't anyway! I'll give them a buzz Monday to see if they have stock.

I believe the bike is this one - alu frame too, nice! Does anyone know if the frame sizes are standard? That link references 17, 19, 21, but doesn't say what they are.

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
Have had mine since Feb & love it. Top notch components & a great ride, copes well on the hills. No hesitation in recommending.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes, I believe it's the 27.5" - I've never ridden a MTB of that wheel size, but can't imagine it's much different to the 26" on the Ave. My main reason for wanting to try it is to appreciate the handling, and see if I'd be happy with it every day.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks kinega, the one in your avatar looks pretty nice! I'm rather a fan of forest riding, as it happens :)

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Col, do you have any other KTM MTBs at a similar price point? Ideally Bosch crank drive.

My insurer has found they cannot source the above bike, and since the cash settlement is not nearly as good, it might be worth seeing what Wheelies can be asked to obtain from you.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
How tall are you? and I'll see if there are any options at all for you.

Cheers
Col.
Thanks Col. I'm 6'1" with a ~33" inside leg. I tend to take larger bikes, and recently was recommended an extra large Scott MTB.

If it helps, it seems Wheelies are willing to authorise up to £2150 (though of course the insurance company gets a discount, 17% in this case).