What size bike, hybrid or mtb

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
Ok, I am thinking of either a conversion or a new bike.
I am 53, well 54 tomorrow, 5' 11" , 14st10lb, sort of fit.
I currently have a Hybrid bike and if I buy a new one as opposed to conversion then I will keep the old one for commuting once my leg muscles get stronger.
I have looked at the woosh bikes, the Karoo looks similar to my bike and is a great price , the kreiger and big bear look good also and might be better suited to my height and weight.They are very similar to what I have at the moment.
The rio mtb and the rio fat boy look like great fun and are different from what I have.
I tried to get a trial of the crossfire from Halfords, which can be bought for £1160 on occasions, but was let down by staff on on day I went for trial.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
davie150,
You probably had a fortunate escape with the Carrera Crossfire-E.
Just do a search on here and elsewhere for Crossfire problems.
Discuss your exact requirements with Mr Woosh.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A good job Halfrauds let you down, over all you would have been disappointed with the Crossfire and it would eventually let you down with it's cut out fault.

Often the case is you will never go back to a push bike after a leccy job.

Reactions: davie150

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
I made a mistake, it was the crossfuse I was looking at, as it is supposed to have a better battery and motor, is is down to £1280 on a regular basis and I was going to join the cycling club that gets you a further 10% off lol.
They had 6 bikes and not one battery was charged.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In that case then the Crossfuse would/should have been a pretty good buy for a Bosch drive.

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
I will have a go again, but will phone in advance before going down for a trial.
There is a guy near my house that has a folding e bike that he bought from eBay and he offered me a go on it, he put in to top assistance and I could not get the grin off of my face.

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
I phoned up Halfords today and they have still not charged up a battery for their demo e bikes, they can't find their chargers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I phoned up Halfords today and they have still not charged up a battery for their demo e bikes, they can't find their chargers.
the staff prob stole them all ;)

Reactions: davie150

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
Just had a demo of crossfuse from another store.
I liked it, not as fast as the one I tried the other week, that one flew you up the hill on highest level whilst hardly pedalling at all, this one feels more like a small help in the background.
I still felt my thigh muscles working whilst going up a steep hill, but in gear 4 I was going 13mph according to the display and that is a lot more than I manage on my manual bike
I am going to go for an e bike, maybe this one when it goes down to £1280 again or one from woosh maybe. The Karoo 15AH £959 looks ok, the big bear £1169 as well

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
So Halfords have now introduced a 20% trade in offer on their bikes, but have increased the price of the Crossfuse from £1600 to £1800.
What a shock lol.
So it is now down to £1440, which is exactly 10% off the £1600 price that it was yesterday.
This is sort of helping me make up my mind, I was thinking of buying when it went down to £1280 again and get bc discount, but a guy at work has converted a couple of bikes to electric and with his help I think I am going to do the same

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks, I would go with China, Can't afford £600. The price is pretty high.
you can start with an XF07 kit, £469, neat and tidy with 13AH Samsung cell battery and good support.
If you add up the cost of freight, duty, VAT to the cost of buying from China, the saving is less attractive. If something like a battery goes wrong, you'd have to send it back to China.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-192-xf07kit-13ah/xf07-front-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
you can start with an XF07 kit, £469, neat and tidy with 13AH Samsung cell battery and good support.
If you add up the cost of freight, duty, VAT to the cost of buying from China, the saving is less attractive. If something like a battery goes wrong, you'd have to send it back to China.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-192-xf07kit-13ah/xf07-front-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery
I have not discounted the xf07 as I have not made my mind up about front or rear.
I think the price of yosepowers's eBay kit is the price you pay, as they are based in Austria.

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
Thanks, I would go with China, Can't afford £600. The price is pretty high.
Have you joined with a view to converting your bike to electric?
I have done the same, but cannot make up my mind, rear kit is supposed to be better, but is more awkward to fit for the first timer like me. Front kit is easier to fit, but some people say that you can loose the front wheel on gravel wet etc
The yosepower kits only seem to be rear wheels, and are over the legal limit for the UK and have a throttle as well

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

harryjosh

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2019
You're right about that. But isn't that I can I buy this from Alibaba or Aliexpress? I heard there is a pretty cheap supplier available. And even if it goes wrong how about the dispute?