When, Where, Why, What

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
When did you first become aware of electric bicycles?
Around 1977 my father had what must have been one of the first electric motor kits fitted to his Moulton. I remember having a ride on it. It was friction drive and pretty rubbish. The local paper did an article on it as it was a bit of a novelty.

Where did you see an electric bike for the first time?
See above.

Why did you become interested in electric bikes?
After years of motorcycles I took up cycling again a few years ago. Loved the freedom and fresh air but found some of my local hills a real pain.

What did you do about this interest?
Started searching the Internet for electric bikes and found Pedelecs which gave me the knowledge that led to me buying my present bike which Has been a great purchase.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Right, you are reading the Pedelec Forum, hopefully you don't need me to tell you that;). So it is to be assumed you have an electric bike, or are interested in them, or got here quite by accident.

I would be grateful if you would take a minute, or as long as you want to answer a few questions. Your answer can be as brief or as long as you like. Indeed, you do not have to answer at all if you don't feel like it.
  1. When did you first become aware of electric bicycles?
  2. Where did you see an electric bike for the first time?
  3. Why did you become interested in electric bikes?
  4. What did you do about this interest?
Thank you for reading this;)
1. Dunno really - always vaguely knew they existed but only seriously investigated about 3 years ago.

2. Knowingly, 3 years ago.

3. Bad leg due to road smash (on bike!); back on bike but wanted to be able to commute without arriving a melting wreck.

4. Hunted around, read reviews, joined here, bought s/h Izip and ran for a year before getting current Pro Connect S new.

Pabs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2010

About 11 years ago

Had a test ride on a Powabyke

Was looking at cycling to work over 8 mles one way. Had a test ride on a Giant Lafree and Kalkhoff Pro-Connect - but the cost involved made me question this especially locking the bike outside without secure place.

Ended up getting a Brompton Bike as my work place was now in the City and enabled me to have a multi-form of transport i.e. a lift in a car with my beloved brompton, a bus ride. However from April, my place of work will be changed and this will mean cyclying around 16 miles each day. Looked at conversion of the Brompton but cannot afford the finance involved. However last week have recently managed to acquire a secondhand (only 3 month old) Alien Aurora (with a donation of funds from a friend). The Alien Auroa is a superb bike and used it today to work and so far no problems - apart from the cycle storage locker at work (the bike will not fit in - not the fault of the bike but the cycle storage locker, seems like nobody checked out if bikes can actually fit).

Pabs

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
When did you first become aware of electric bicycles?

In China during a business trip in 2004.

Where did you see an electric bike for the first time?

At the same time.

Why did you become interested in electric bikes?

They seemed miraculous, I tried one and could not believe how wonderful they were.

Sold my exhibition business and my house and set up Wisper! :cool:

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury

Sold my exhibition business and my house and set up Wisper! :cool:
Its hard to follow that!

Early 2007. Shortly afterwards there was a feature in the local paper from a reporter who used an electric bike to work for a week. The bikes were supplied by a local retailer who had just opened a shop selling only electric bikes.
Being ridden past my house.
Knew I wasn’t getting enough exercise. I would run a mile to avoid a gym, but sadly only metaphorically. I thought it would be a good way of getting some enjoyable exercise, provide a useful means of transport and be a way of using the car less. Oh and I do like being a bit quirky and different.
Started saving. Researched online. Quickly found the AtoB website and subsequently pedelecs forum. Went to Green Fair in Ludlow & tried some bikes. Saved some more. Went to Tour de Presteigne in 2009 - tried some more bikes and had great fun. Convinced husband that this wasn’t a passing fancy. Bought Agattu in Sep 2009