Where can I get a compatible replacement handlebar display for a Pendleton Somerby ebike? (King Meter 790 LED)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The main issue is compatibility with your existing controller. Obviously the 790 is made by company A and it is then made available to many 3rd party sellers. Each variant will have pcb which is programmed and installed at a central factory for the customer or the customer might buy the 790's in and install the pcb on their own production lines.
As I mentioned 8fun, Lishui, KT and many others use the generic 790 style but none or very few will work with each other. A basic analogue (4 wire ) should but once one has the 5th uart/digital wire compatibility raises it's head.

Reactions: ron1234

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generically the one system that is 99.9% bullet proof is/are KT uart systems, many many sellers supply the items and apart from making sure the correct connectors are fitted, any KT listed item will work.
One can buy any KT display of at least 11 different models and they will work with any KT controller. KT make their stuff widely available on the open market.
Bafang are quite good as well and there stuff can also be bought in many places.
Lishui are mainly an OEM supplier only so finding 3rd party components to buy is very hard.

Only two parts need matching for compatibility controller and display, most will use generic sm or Julet connectors except Bafang who use Higo. Although Higo fit Julet's the wire sequence is different so can't be mixed and matched with out chopping and changing wires over.
Most generic stuff will use any throttle, speed & pas sensor as they are analogue simple 3 wire set ups.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let's get one thing clear, before you can buy a replacement 790, you must figure out whether it's analogue or digital. 4 wres in the cable would have made analogue certain, but 5 can be either.

As your display is now scrap, you need to open it up to see if all the wires are connected to the circuit board inside and look at any markings on the board where the two wires that aren't red, blue or black are soldered.

Most of the 790s for sale on the internet are analogue versions.

As Neal says, you can replace the controller and the display for KT ones, which costs about £80 and improves the control of you bike a bit.

I can imagine that a replacement from Halford would be very expensive.

ron1234

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2021
As I mentioned 8fun, Lishui, KT and many others use the generic 790 style but none or very few will work with each other.
What a nightmare. I guess ebikes are new and it's just the wild west as far as standards and compatibility goes!

Is there any way to tell from the outside what model controller is installed in the bike? There seems to be no obvious way to open the housing to access the controller itself. I wish Halfords would publish technical specifications somewhere.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I guess ebikes are new and it's just the wild west as far as standards and compatibility goes!
It's not that weird. Early Somerby's - being the age they are - probably used Analogue comms. I'd guess Halfords transitioned to UART digital comms as that became more fashionable. My guess is that the latest Somerby's probably use CanBus, 2-wire digital which is de-rigour for any e-bike today - especially for ease of dealer servicing.

Trouble is, you've given us no clue as to how old your version of your Pendleton Somerby is.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Halfords changed a lot of things in 2018/2019 with most of their range - likely due to the ridiculous import tariffs the EU introduced on Chinese made bikes at that time. They certainly changed a considerable amount in terms of electrics - for example their battery supplier. I'd wager the Pendleton is now made in a totally different country!

At that age though, it's likely digital, but is it UART or CanBus?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What a nightmare. I guess ebikes are new and it's just the wild west as far as standards and compatibility goes!

Is there any way to tell from the outside what model controller is installed in the bike? There seems to be no obvious way to open the housing to access the controller itself. I wish Halfords would publish technical specifications somewhere.
It's no different to the automotive world of car manufacturer's, no one wants compatibility software/programming wise with a competitor.
With ebikes the only thing we know that is mostly standard is the hub Julet wire connector so any hub can be used with any branded component.
It's no different with all the mid drives which most are made in China, none use a standard mount system so another mid drive cannot be fitted to another bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

I am 99.9% that as you have a KM790, your controller will be Lishui. It does though need 100% confirming, I assume the controller is located in the compartment of the rack battery ?
Also as vfr has said, if the 790 is scrap then open it up and take pics of the wires attached to the pcb to see where they go. Most boards have letters/numerals on the pcb board and often they can be cyphered to know where/what the wires do.
The obvious two wires are Gnd & V+.

ron1234

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2021
I tried pretty hard to crack open the old display, but even with a hammer and pliers it was surprisingly resistant!

For anyone else coming to this thread with the same problem: In the end, I gave up and dragged the whole bike over to Halfords. They had a box of random spares, and after a slow process of trial and error we found one that works and seems equivalent to the original failed unit. They sold it to me for £25 and didn't charge for time or labour, so I consider that a pretty satisfactory result.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions! I do think this thread demonstrates how confusing and non-standardised ebike hardware is, but maybe that will change in the future as the industry matures.

Reactions: Tony1951

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I have the original Pendleton controller in the bike shed somewhere after I upgraded the controller (see this link for details).

Drop me a private message if you want me to dig it out/have any questions.

Reactions: ron1234

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Not sure where to put these pics, or if they are of any use. Everyone seems to be ditching their 790 for newer, better alternatives :) .

There is a screw under the label on front if you are opening it *non-destructively*! (Mine is already faulty) :-0 ( it is 6 wire, with light switch type from 2014/5 ).

Wonder if the Red to Blue hot-wire method works for this?
If it does, maybe I'll just put a switch on the cable, and see if there's any life on pas or throttle16559956612147954084671413464354.jpg20220623_152051.jpg20220623_153556.jpg20220623_153253.jpg.
Cheers

Reactions: Bonzo Banana

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Everyone seems to be ditching their 790 for newer, better alternatives :) .
Wonder if the Red to Blue hot-wire method works for this?
If it does, maybe I'll just put a switch on the cable, and see if there's any life on pas or throttle
Cheers
Yes, it does work, even with dead display still attached. So controller still working, and pas (in default medium), and throttle. So thanks to d8veh? And vfr400? and anyone else I've left out

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, it does work, even with dead display still attached. So controller still working, and pas (in default medium), and throttle. So thanks to d8veh? And vfr400? and anyone else I've left out
d8veh and vfr are the same persona.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I have the original Pendleton display in the bike shed somewhere after I upgraded the controller (see this link for details).

Drop me a private message if you want me to dig it out/have any questions.
View attachment 43378
Good Grief - whilst sorting out the bike shed today, I have actually found my old 790 display from my old Pendleton - if it's of any use to anyone, drop me a PM - just pay for the postage and it's yours. I've also got the original Pendleton controller as well if you want it?

Noiseyv

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2022
My daughter's display from her Pendleton Somerby has been stolen. When I called Halfords and resisted the pressure to bring it in (it is VERY hard for me to get there, especially with a non operative bike - and when the bike last went there they tried to return it with bent forks then lost the paperwork and it took me going down there and 3 months to get it back) they quoted £135 + VAT + fitting for a replacement. The bike is less than a year old. So my questions are this:
1) Can anyone make a guess at a cheap (ebay?) replacement that I can take a punt at ?
2) Can anyone guess at/tell me what the other connectors are ?

I would also like to say what a relief/pleasure it is to find such an helpful forum
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-28 at 11.09.53 PM.jpeg

Advertisers