Where do I buy spokes?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hello another technical question.

I used the Grin Tech spoke simulator to simulate spokes for a Bafang motor. Then I went looking for spokes online and only found spokes that are far too long.

Do I have to buy long spokes and cut them and rethread them myself? Or is there a source for shorter spokes required by hub motors?

Cheers

Tony

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You should be able to get them on Fleabay what length are you after?
Try derekscyclesonline,

D

Deleted member 4366

Use 14g. There's loads of Ebay suppliers for them.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Use 14g. There's loads of Ebay suppliers for them.
apologies for a related question - for some reason i find spoke length calculation a complete find muck - i just can't do it (when it come sto unequal lengths and flanges i end up gettig visions of brulee and completely loose the plot). i'm hoping to build teh 350w oxydrive motor into a 26 rim (from a 28) because i want to get a cheap suspension mountainbike (and go greenlaning etc!). does anyone know teh spoke lengths? many many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

First you have to get your rim. Hopefully, the supplier can give you the ERD. If you can't find out the official ERD, you just measure the inside diameter and add 5mm. You should do that anyway to check that the ERD that you've been given is correct. Every different 26" rim has a different ERD.

You don't need different length spokes. You won't get any the exact size that you calculate, anyway, so choose the size that's the nearest whole number to both of the two caculated sizes. It doesn't matter, normally, if you're 2mm out. Spokes that are too long are better than too shoort. You'll probably be OK with spokes 5mm too long if you have a normal double-walled mtb rim.

When you get your rim, let us know the ERD or inside diameter and I'll tell you what length spokes to get.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks d8veh for your science. I was looking at spokes on bikediscount.com and the lengths they stock work with standard hubs but are either too long or too short for hub motors. Apparantly no one is building their own Rohloff or nexus wheels because those would require a similar length I am guessing.

I have found suppliers of Sapin 14g stainless spokes on ebay that are within the millimetre of what the calculator said I needed. But reading above about double walled rims has eased my mind a lot thanks much!

This has opened the path to importing hub motors from China. I am still very iffy about batteries. A Google search on French import duties says 0% but I am taking that with a pinch of salt. Freight is exhorbitant and on top I have to put 20% VAT. And no guarantee (other than having to pay return freight) if something does not work.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
I bought a pack from China when living in France about 5 yrs ago. I forget what I had to pay but it was def above 50euros. Won't bore you with the details, other than it went back and forth a few times for repair and each time I had it returned, i got stung again for taxes and duty.
I think Chinese prebuilt packs have better quality control now, if purchased from a good store.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
First you have to get your rim. Hopefully, the supplier can give you the ERD. If you can't find out the official ERD, you just measure the inside diameter and add 5mm. You should do that anyway to check that the ERD that you've been given is correct. Every different 26" rim has a different ERD.

You don't need different length spokes. You won't get any the exact size that you calculate, anyway, so choose the size that's the nearest whole number to both of the two caculated sizes. It doesn't matter, normally, if you're 2mm out. Spokes that are too long are better than too shoort. You'll probably be OK with spokes 5mm too long if you have a normal double-walled mtb rim.

When you get your rim, let us know the ERD or inside diameter and I'll tell you what length spokes to get.
many thanks for this and apologies for the delay: I will go and measure the ERD this weekend on an old MTB that came my way for free (Dahon espresso - flimsy, without disc brakes or suspension and largely complete rubbish, BUT it was free, the budget is tight, and it does have an upright geometry, and some unusually fat marathon plus'). Once one has measured the ERD or inside diameter - apologies (english second language) but i gather meaning straight line through center with endpoints on the circle? - and add 5mm, what then? is teh spoke length simply half of this length? Again many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

No. First, measure the diameter directly accross the rim from inside to inside. That's the inside diameter. Next, add 5mm to that measurement. That's approximately the ERD. Finally, you go to an online spoke calculator and enter the required dimensions: ERD, motor spoke hole pitch circle diameter (164mm), motor distance from centre to spoke flange left side, motor centre to spoke flange right side (for those two measurements, measure the distance between the flanges and divide it by 2 = 18.6), number of crosses (use 2), number of spokes (36). The calculator will then tell you the spoke length.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
There are numerous sellers on ali express who will make spokes to exact size and normally despatch them pretty fast.
or pay the extra for express delivery. I've never had a problem using them...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
St Johns Cycles have two extended ranges of 14 gauge spokes. This first range in 2mm steps I've successfully used with hub motors, but unfortunately currently out of stock until October:

120 to 194 mm

180 to 314 mm

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Advertisers