Where is the Queen Ant ?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
An amusing video posted on the 50Cycles blog of Cambridge rush hour:

50cycles World of Electric Bikes

Try not to focus your vision when watching the video and you can imagine you are peeking at a swarm of worker ants!:D

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
well i counted 253 cyclists what's the prize again for the first correct answer a new torq mike:D :rolleyes:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

WOW
so cambridge is a mini china its great to see so many bikes of all kind:D PS did i see some of them overtaking on the outside tut tut hope at least they were electric bikes. well done great vid:) NIGEL.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Much more of this kind of thing and people will buy cars just to be different! :)

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Amusing video of Cambridge Cyclists

Try not to focus your vision when watching the video and you can imagine you are peeking at a swarm of worker ants!:D
I noticed one of the vans given minimum space to a cyclist -
BUT I also noticed (as I do in other towns) how cyclists have scant regard for junctions believing they either have room or that the law "Give Way" somehow does not apply to them because they are so narrow (except that they are about twice as wide as they think they are in terms of safety margin),
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Amusing video of Cambridge Cyclists

I noticed one of the vans giving minimum space to a cyclist -
BUT I also noticed (as I do in other towns) how cyclists have scant regard for junctions believing they either have room or that the law "Give Way" somehow does not apply to them because they are so narrow (except that they are about twice as wide as they think they are in terms of safety margin),
Peter

deesee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Senior/Junior

Having only recently 'signed on' to pedelecs I find, with great pleasure that I am a 'junior' member. I see that Pete in Mere <itspeteinit> (great name!) was 77 when he signed on - though he's now 78. He is, as I would expect, a senior member.

However I suspect that one's status is not age-dependent. If it is, I at 67 am perhaps an imposter!

David

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
well try these ideas

flecc pedelec guru

under 100 posts newbie

100-200 posts a choice to describe your type of cycling ie commuter,leisure rider,and at the discretion of the administrator award 3 titles of technical advisor(we have at least 3 members who could lighten fleccs load for him with knowledgeable answers) these could be changed every 12 months if the administrator wished.

over 200 posts put the word experienced before the 100-200 title.

mike:D

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi deesee, mike & russ

deesee said:
I suspect that one's status is not age-dependent
I have the opposite situation: agewise my status should be middle/junior, and I feel to have been prematurely promoted to senior :D

It's a minor matter I think, but I agree with Russ that we could use alternative classifications; could be fun too!

I've never been a fan of the term "newbie", sorry mike! I think some others may find it unappealing & possibly offputting: I suppose that may encourage some to quickly make 100+ posts for promotion to the next level, but that could result in many uninformative posts!

The only alternative springs to mind is "novice", but I think many may join who have plenty of experience of ebikes already, so that's out too in my mind.

I suppose the only widely applicable & fair criterion by which to classify would have to avoid reference to age & experience of ebikes, but be purely based on length of experience on pedelecs itself: new & existing members can easily see how established others are by the extent of their membership & number of posts, and indeed members are classified by number of posts so being labelled junior/senior is currently just a verbal indicator of that.

I like your idea mike of members choosing a name to reflect their type of cycling: maybe this could apply to all members from the start, not just "seniors" and is helpful to see people's usage at a glance; what about those of us who don't fall easily into categories or boxes though? - special categories for those? :D;)

How about simply "new member" up to so many posts (less than 100 if possible) or a specified length of membership, then "established" or "longstanding member" or somesuch better term for beyond that time/no. of posts with the addition of the option to choose cycling type for all - including a "prospective ebiker" type category for members looking to buy their first electric bike?

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
What about a facility to award points to a post. If a member posts something that has helped you then you can give points to that member. Those members who post helpful information will accumulate a good rating and this would help new members identify trusted / knowledgeable advice.

Paul

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
coops

I've never been a fan of the term "newbie", sorry mike! I think some others may find it unappealing & possibly offputting: I suppose that may encourage some to quickly make 100+ posts for promotion to the next level, but that could result in many uninformative posts!
must admit i had changed my mind on newbie after a nights sleep.

mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
mike said:
must admit i had changed my mind on newbie after a nights sleep.
Glad to hear that mike :D I respect your better (senior) judgement ;) what do you think of my "new member" suggestion? Its simple & unambiguous: very specific to the current classification system based on length & activity of pedelecs membership, rather than age, experience with electrics or anything else, but is it too dull/boring/simple?! (lets keep it simple, eh?! ;))

I love the idea of a points system, Paul, that sounds very useful as a system to boost the amount of good information available via an extra incentive for giving good advice, aswell as benefitting newcomers to the quagmire of electric transport! Sadly however, I think that may be beyond the current remit, and require some reprogramming of the website or at least the system of naming under discussion... still, what do you say Russ, or RichardB? :D

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
coops

as you say new member is simple and a very true description, and if descriptions are kept it would gain my support,perhaps changing to member after 50 posts, is there any need for anything else after that, we are a community of ebikers and apart from moderator and guru we could all be equals.
well i must have had a good nights sleep that's a complete change for me.

mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Nicely put mike :D I agree. Join date & number of posts are shown by default & show the duration & amount of "experience" at the pedelecs site; location can be optionally shown & any other info members want to share, including cyclist "type" for example, can be put in personal profiles, or "signatures" (never used one!) I suppose.

On a related issue, I'm quite sure there are many functions of the control panel or "user CP" (top left of page on toolbar when logged in) I've never thought of, let alone used, and which might facilitate use of the pedelecs site! :D

Keep up the good sleep mike ;)

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
coops

or "signatures" (never used one!) I suppose.
i used to belong a shooting forum and i found that if the posters rifle was named it gave me more insight into what they where saying.

this thread is going to be renamed the coops and electric.mike thread:rolleyes:

mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
mike said:
this thread is going to be renamed the coops and electric.mike thread
Or the best concealed thread - do you think anyone else knows its here? :D

Ok, so its nothing earth shattering this name issue, but still worth a look. By the way, I notice Tim (director at 50cycles) is shown as simply "member", and maybe others are too but I've not noticed, so it must be possible to change the "default" naming although probably it can only be done by the site administrator? Anyway, nothing major as I said, but just an interesting little aside :)

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I will create a seperate thread for the title naming ideas. Yes, it is something myself or Richard needs to configure in the forum software.

cheers
Russ.
Russell Scott
Pedelecs UK

Advertisers