Which 11 Speed Chain?

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Having done over 400 miles on my Trek, primarily in sloppy conditions, I’m gearing up for the inevitable chain replacement. The hard part is choosing which one...

it came with a Shimano SLX chain, is it worth spending more on an XT chain or a KMC chain?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My bike came with KMC e11 and I'm onto 5th chain. No breakages which is saying something as CX motor can very hard on chains.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How bloody much??? :eek:

That would need to last over 1000 miles to be viable...
They do if you ride on the road. I don't use the e-bike version but the ordinary 8 speed one and it has 2200 + km on it. The Truvativ steel chainring has certainly worn a little I can imagine an aluminum narrow/wide one might be ripe for changing along with the chain about now. Wippremann make quality 8 speed chains for 13€ and e-bike chains for 38€ (bikediscount.com prices) so I don't mind swapping my chain more often for less money.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
My Ebike came with a non ebike chain which lasted 500 miles to .5 wear (11 speed) so I replaced it with a similar one.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Ive just ordered a KMC E11 EPT ebike chain having snapped a couple of Sram chains in the last year. Not cheap at about £30, but whats even more expensive are the KMC gold reusable missing links to join the chain together at over £10 a set!!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Ive just ordered a KMC E11 EPT ebike chain having snapped a couple of Sram chains in the last year. Not cheap at about £30, but whats even more expensive are the KMC gold reusable missing links to join the chain together at over £10 a set!!!

DSC_0093.JPG

yeah those things are not really reusable after the fist install tbh

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I’m not entirely sure what they mean by reusable/non reusable. Do they mean as soon as you’ve clicked it into position you shouldn’t ever reuse it, even if you take it straight off again straight away? Or do they mean after your chain gets replaced?

Also, having a supposedly stronger ebike specific chain is all well and good, but if the quick link used to join it isn’t as strong as the chain itself then what’s the point?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I use a Wipperman Connex link with a KTM chain, reusable without tools as I like to remove the chain for cleaning. I've never had any issues with this set up, you need to make sure you use it the right way up.
Dave.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I’m not entirely sure what they mean by reusable/non reusable. Do they mean as soon as you’ve clicked it into position you shouldn’t ever reuse it, even if you take it straight off again straight away? Or do they mean after your chain gets replaced?

Also, having a supposedly stronger ebike specific chain is all well and good, but if the quick link used to join it isn’t as strong as the chain itself then what’s the point?

its the same for the mtb ones as well i even have the tool to remove them and mine still broke after reusing it.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks

its the same for the mtb ones as well i even have the tool to remove them and mine still broke after reusing it.
Interesting report, but why are they so expensive, especially the 11 speed links for some reason. In some cases more expensive than the chain itself. This one is £22

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Whats the difference between a 12 speed and an 11 speed chain? Is it the thickness of the chain? Would an 11 speed chain be too wide to fit between the cogs of a 12 speed cassette?

Related Articles

Advertisers