Which car brands are worst for close passing?

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Hi,
Here's a random musing from the morning commute:

Has anyone else noticed that drivers of certain car brands tend to overtake closer than others? Audis and white vans seem about equal worst, followed by BMWs and then Volkswagens.

That said an Audi gave me plenty of space this morning; the Citroen following him didn't but that one had minicab plates so doesn't count...

Roy

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Hmmm. I kind of think it's driver type rather than the car brand. There again certain types buy certain cars so maybe that carries through to the brand.. :confused:

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
At one time it was Mercedes Benz that were the arrogant & inhospitable cars on the road.
These days, not so bad.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hands down winner while on my bike or in my car is BMW. Followed by Audi, white vans and, very suprisingly, small buses. The small buses are usually the type used for transporting vulnerable adults. I have taken one organization to task with video evidence. I see Mercedes drivers speeding a lot but behaving themselves other wise. Large buses and taxis rarely give me grief, yet another suprise.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Cars with apprentice driver stickers driven by young girls who have never ridden a bike in their life. Expensive cars driven by retired men who should very probably be breathalyser tested (even at 10 a.m.) and (drum roll) white vans. :D

Reactions: Emo Rider

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Hertfordshire and Chilterns, the weapon of choice seems to be a Range Rover Evoque or Mini (BMW)... they ain't as small as they think they are!

Reactions: Artstu

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
New absolute worst tonight: a marked police car! I suppose it was a BMW but you'd expect the boys (and girls) in blue to set an example.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Did nine miles today 2 where can drivers one was a fiesta. police are dealing with a van driver at moment as he threaten to run me down when he sees me again. bikes shouldnt be on road cause we dont pay tax. Defo van drivers the most offenders. But most are good. Shame you cant get 1 metre folding warning arms

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
I had an odd one last night. My normal cycle path is closed so had to travel the long way round on the road and the van drivers waited patiently and pulled wide when going round me. It was quite off-putting as the vast majority of vehicles around Portsmouth amd Hayling seem to try and peel paint off the bike with each pass.

John

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
You do meet all sorts of drivers, two mini roundabouts, first one a car was already at the roundabout opposite direction to my right so he had right of way, I slowed down but the gentlemen waved me across first, (I put my hand up to say thanks), second had a bollard in the centre of the road at the roundabout, a blue ford hatchback (sorry ladies it was a woman) behind me decided not to wait and went between me and the bollard leaving only about 6 inches between us, look like she decided it was better to get really closer to me than the bollard.

Last edited:

Advertisers