Which e-bike for powerful/fast unassisted use and towing a luggage trailer?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The "el-cycle" from Austria is supplied in two versions.
First version is the "street legal" version which is speed limited/governed to 30kph.
Second version is what the manufacturer calls the "off road" version which is speed limited/governed to 60kph.
Both models are programmed not to exceed the maximum speed through the programmable motor controller.
End of 2009 the el-cycle will have the option of being fitted with the latest model "high energy density (HED)" LiFePO4 battery which will increase battery capacity and range per charge by 20%-40% for the same phsical size battery pack. This battery is in the final testing stages now.
As mentioned with no motor speed limiting and allowing full battery voltage to reach the modified 5kW Crystalite motor the bike will reach speeds of up to 97kph.
So what is the range of the high powered version as I can't see it anywhere?

BMI

Finding my (electric) wheels
There are a few different battery packs/configurations available for the el-cycle. I understand the main one is a 20Ah pack. I am sure if you email the manufacturer of this bike directly they will get back to you with the battery pack specifications and range per charge with the relevant batteries.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
There are a few different battery packs/configurations available for the el-cycle. I understand the main one is a 20Ah pack. I am sure if you email the manufacturer of this bike directly they will get back to you with the battery pack specifications and range per charge with the relevant batteries.
Your posts on this thread sounded like a sales pitch talking about how great the product was with no downside. I see now from your introduction that you provide the batteries that power el-cycles, so it is an advert.
Suppliers do offer information on their products on here and that's not a problem but your connection wasn't very clear.

BMI

Mussels,

I supply loose cells to many companies and individuals all around the world. How the manufacturer in Austria of the el-cycle uses them in their own custom assembled battery packs with their own wholly designed battery management system is their busuiness and I had no input into. They are an independant manufacturer and are free to choose any brand of cells they like. I can only report on what I have heard back from this manufacturer. If the batteries were junk and were of poor quality then obviously reports would not be good and they would not want to use BMI cells. I have NEVER heard a negative report with regard to the performance of a BMI cell.

As you quite rightly point out there are always positive points as well as negative points about any product. The only negative point concerning the BMI cells and batteries is the higher initial purchase price. I am sure most people understand that any product (no matter what it is) will cost more if it is the highest quality in the market it serves. "Quality costs extra".
For example would anyone really expect a Rolls Royce to cost the same as a Toyota or a Ford?

Richdog

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Hey guys sorry for the dela in replying to this... had a mixture of nightmares ranging from computer issues to not having an time to do a gazillion things I want to do.

Thanks for the replies but I am not looking to tow a garden shed plus my mates overweight mother plus her seven cats... it will literally just be shopping as and when I need it, and not much in the way of hills either! The rest of the time it would be used as a "normal" assisted bike with the joy of being able to ferry me around Lake Zurich without much fuss if its a roasting summers day and I cant be arsed to exert myself (wouldnt think im in my late 20's would you). Thats why I was also looking at the Wisper 905 Sport as its capable of good assited or non-assisted travel. :)

walterd

Mar 26, 2009
to see this in english just put velocity dolphin in your browser and you get the choice of english
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there anywhere on this site to switch it to english ?...hard to take a shine to something if i cant read anything it does..:eek: