Which hub motor for a tandem ?

Lyrick

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 30, 2023
Hi all, recently joined so hello to everyone.

As per the title I have a folding tandem with 20 inch wheels and I'm looking to fit a front hub motor to it.

Looking at a 48v 500w motor but should I go for a Direct Drive or Geared hub ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Definitely not a direct drive one unless you know why you'd want one.

We need a lot more info to give suitable advice:
Which country are you in and are you planning on sticking to the legal requirements.
Do you already use the tandem? If so, please tell us about your rides and why you want to electrify it.
Can we some photos of the bike, in particular the hubs, forks and drop-outs, front and rear?

Lyrick

Nov 30, 2023
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
I don't have access to the bike at the moment to take photos.
It's an Ecosmo folding tandem with a 7 speed freewheel rear hub and 20 inch wheels. Drop outs are 100 mm front and 135mm rear.

The wife isn't good an a conventional bike ( she has a tendency to fall off) so we thought a tandem would be a good idea.

We haven't used it yet but planning to take it to Spain with us , we spend a quarter of the year there. Lots of our friends use electric bikes and it would be useful to be able to keep up with them.

The terrain is mainly flat with the occasional short , low rise hills, so nothing heavy.
Not worried too much about local regulations, there are all sorts of bikes in use out there.

I keep seeing different opinions about Direct Drive v Geared hubs mainly with reference to low DD torque and GH longevity ( or lack of it)

I'm no stranger to electric bikes but the one I have is a mid drive and would prefer the easier conversion of a hub drive on this tandem.

Patrick

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I keep seeing different opinions about Direct Drive v Geared hubs mainly with reference to low DD torque and GH longevity ( or lack of it).
Most of that is BS by people, who have never actually ridden an electric bike.

Generally, DD motors are better suited to constant higher speed. The average ones that you find on Ebay and Amazon are all too fast to be efficient in UK, and they're not legal. The only one I know that's legal now is the Heinzmann that's very expensive.

Why do you want to put the motor in the front, when a back one is so much better?

• Informative
Reactions: throwawaychap

Lyrick

Nov 30, 2023
Most of that is BS by people, who have never actually ridden an electric bike.

Generally, DD motors are better suited to constant higher speed. The average ones that you find on Ebay and Amazon are all too fast to be efficient in UK, and they're not legal. The only one I know that's legal now is the Heinzmann that's very expensive.

Why do you want to put the motor in the front, when a back one is so much better?
Main reason is ease of conversion , and I'm told that ,with the weight distribution of a tandem , traction wouldn't be a problem with a powered front hub.

It's unlikely to be ridden in the UK

I've been looking at a Mxus XF15 hub, which is geared, do you think it would be suitable ?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I sold a few XF07 front hub kit in 20" rim for the ecosmo tandem.
You find prices and details by following the links below
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/category/uid-8/front-hub-conversion-kits
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf07kit
We've got a Woosh XF07 on a 700c wheel tandem. Works well, but definitely low on torque for bigger hills. I think it would work really well on an Ecosmo or other 20" wheel tandem.

It's getting more and more difficult to get over the crossbar on our conventional (Viking) tandem. We tried a Circe (easy local rental) and didn't really like it; we felt too compressed. My wife's view had even more of my back and even less of the countryside than on our Viking. The Ecosmo looks good, but also as if it probably would have the same issue of pushing us too close together. That may or may not be an issue for you; I'd be interested to hear any other people's thoughts on that. Maybe one day we'll splash out on a Van Raam; even lower step and looks as if it's got lots of space.

Reactions: Woosh and Lyrick

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
I don't have access to the bike at the moment to take photos.
It's an Ecosmo folding tandem with a 7 speed freewheel rear hub and 20 inch wheels. Drop outs are 100 mm front and 135mm rear.

The wife isn't good an a conventional bike ( she has a tendency to fall off) so we thought a tandem would be a good idea.

We haven't used it yet but planning to take it to Spain with us , we spend a quarter of the year there. Lots of our friends use electric bikes and it would be useful to be able to keep up with them.

The terrain is mainly flat with the occasional short , low rise hills, so nothing heavy.
Not worried too much about local regulations, there are all sorts of bikes in use out there.

I keep seeing different opinions about Direct Drive v Geared hubs mainly with reference to low DD torque and GH longevity ( or lack of it)

I'm no stranger to electric bikes but the one I have is a mid drive and would prefer the easier conversion of a hub drive on this tandem.

Patrick

Which country do you LIVE in ?

UK then 25w is legal

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Main reason is ease of conversion , and I'm told that ,with the weight distribution of a tandem , traction wouldn't be a problem with a powered front hub.

It's unlikely to be ridden in the UK

I've been looking at a Mxus XF15 hub, which is geared, do you think it would be suitable ?
The thing about easier installation is that you save a few minutes work, but then have any disadvantages for hundreds of hours every time you ride the bike. personally, I'd rather spend a bit more time installing if it's going to give me a better ride.

Assuming that you have steel forks and drop-outs that avoid the worst problems, the main downsides of front installation are:
  • Noisier
  • Steering can go a bit weird depending on the geometry
  • Lack of traction on steep hills.
The most important thing when choosing a motor is to get the right speed. It needs to max out at about 1.3 times your modal riding speed, so if your modal speed was 15 mph, it needs to spin to about 2o mph, which would be around 330 rpm in a 20" wheel.

I'd go with 48v for the extra weight of a tandem. It'll give 30% more torque than at 36v and the same current. I'd be looking at 17amps minimum unless your crew can pedal as hard as you.

You can get a nice 20AH 48b battery from Greenlance for less than £300 if you don't want to buy a complete kit from someone like Woosh.

My favourite system is a Q128 (AKM128) motor from BMSBattery, A KT controller with LCD3 that you can get from anywhere, and any decent 48v battery. That arrangement is very smoothe and quiet, immense torque when you need it, and nice power algorithms from its current control that you don't get on the more common speed control controllers.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
  • Lack of traction on steep hills.
I agree with a lot of what saneagle says, but ... I've never found lack of traction on steep hills an issue on a tandem with it's different weight distribution. I have frequently found the two wheel drive (front motor, back our pushing) helpful; especially slightly uphill on slippy grass, with the back wheel spinning out and the front wheel keeping traction.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Spain you will need to be 250w and legal unless you like the inside of their jails. Fines are far more severe than here.

Reactions: Lyrick

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Agreed. There used to be a forum member who lived on the French/Spanish border. He regularly cycled into Spain and told us many time how strict the spanish police are.
So it's 250w motor with 25kph max speed if you want to keep your bike.

Reactions: Lyrick

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
tandem riders usually need help only with hills so 15mph speed capability is not a top issue, you don't need 48V.
On the ecosmo, the XF07 45NM torque on 20" rim with 36V 17A controller is enough. You do need a good battery, 17AH or 20AH to minimize voltage sag.
Front geared hub is also a popular choice. It's uncomplicated, more serviceable than rear hub.