Help! Which Lightweight electric folding bike for a senior motorhomer?

TerriDT6

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2019
I am a senior woman and want to buy a lightweight folding e-bike. The bike will need to fit into an awkward garage space in my motorhome. I will have to lift it and turn it on its side to fit into the space. I tried a 22kg e-bike - but too heavy and when folded the wheels flapped about. I'm in UK and would prefer to see/try before buying. I prefer 20" wheels, will mount a basket on the front, a 'step through' preferably with suspension. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help - I'm exhausted searching the internet. Should I consider the 'Wallet'? I'm new to biking so please keep it simple. o_O All help much appreciated. :)

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012

TerriDT6

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks for suggestion. Have just contacted Woosh. Gallego has been discontinued and no longer available. Freego is also discontinued and have been warned off re no after support or parts. I'll keep looking.:)

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Ebikes Direct carries all the FreeGo spares and many of the parts are generic in any case. Any local bike shop can deal with it.
Extract:
Warranty - 12 Months on all Electrical, Frame Set, Group Set, Wheels and Components.
(Warranty Support and Service offered by E-Bikes Direct. We have a full catalogue of FreeGo Spare Parts to enable us to support new and old FreeGo customers for years to come.)

I don't know whether Woosh has any Zephyrs in stock:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2018

You might like to try a new Wisper:
https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/806-se-folding-bike/

or Bickerton Portables:
https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927/Categories/9

or Dahon:
https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7665e38c-067c-4fa0-9037-afac2266f927/Categories/ed36e2a7eb6e43e1cf1af5e0100416de

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any bike shop won't have much clue on the electrics side just the normal mechanical parts.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your requirements are going to make it difficult. I can't see it working with a basket unless you can find a quick release one that you can remove for folding. Suspension normally adds a lot of weight. You need to tell us how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

Last edited:

TerriDT6

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Your requirements are going to make it difficult. I can't see it working with a basket unless you can find a quick release one that you can remove for folding. Suspension normally adds a lot of weight. You beed to tell us how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.
Hi,
I have a wire basket which has a quick release and would be removed before folding. I expect to spend around £1200. I would be using the bike to visit nearby villages away from campsite. Re suspension, I want a cushioned ride because of an occasional back problem.

TerriDT6

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Hi Everyone,
Sorry I've been absent, but I've been on a big e-bike search and now success! I've bought a Juicy Compact Plus. Removing battery and seat together with post, I can get it down just below 16 kg. which I can lift into the motorhome garage. It has disc brakes and fork suspension. I've invested in the better battery giving me 40 miles ( so that I can get help with hills etc if I need). My basket fits perfectly with a quick release fitting on the handlebar and my Yorkie can sit comfortable inside, secured with a strap which goes from one side, through her harness to the other side. I'm giving you all this information in case its helpful to another OAP! Bike is completed with a small luggage bag that fits on the rear luggage rack with velcro. I had a practice ride around the carpark and even using Level 1 assistance zipped me along! Thanks again for all your suggestions. :)

Reactions: marc4242 and D C