Which touring bike, confused newbie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Why not? In general or for touring?
More so now with the state of the roads in the UK these days. Probably fair better in Europe though.
Sus forks, even on a £2K+ ebike, tend to be of relatively poor quality.

They add weight, maintenance complication and very little else.

A quality rigid fork is just as comfortable, if not more so.

But the general public don't know/can't accept that, so they insist on the bike having a pogo stick on the from end.

The customer is always right, so the majority of makers bounce along with the herd.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Sus forks, even on a £2K+ ebike, tend to be of relatively poor quality.

They add weight, maintenance complication and very little else.

A quality rigid fork is just as comfortable, if not more so.

But the general public don't know/can't accept that, so they insist on the bike having a pogo stick on the from end.

The customer is always right, so the majority of makers bounce along with the herd.
I have to agree. While I've never had any really good sus forks (Fox & Suntour mostly) I much prefer the ride of a rigid fork, both on ebike and manual.

I'm sure they have a place off road, but on road they are a waste of time.

If you want comfort go with rigid forks and balloon tyres.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
I have to agree. While I've never had any really good sus forks (Fox & Suntour mostly) I much prefer the ride of a rigid fork, both on ebike and manual.

I'm sure they have a place off road, but on road they are a waste of time.

If you want comfort go with rigid forks and balloon tyres.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
You can always lock the sus forks and thus converting them to rigid and getting the best of both worlds, albeit with the extra weight at the front.

Reactions: Emo Rider

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm going to try for myself, I rode my friends full sus Decathlon bike and it was lovely. Today my forearms started pumping up at around the 50 km mark I'm hoping the "pogo stick" will push that pain threshold back a bit.

Depends which European roads KevinMull, here they ain't so hot. Chain jumped off twice today for the first time in months, sure was a deep pot hole! Would a front sus have prevented that? It would have saved my poor old bones I bet.