White Hall sensor issue... desperate for help!

jabmesen

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2020
Hello any help on this matter would be so much appreciated....

I have two Chinese bikes; pretty much identical. One is throwing up an E07 error (motor error).
so on the advice of this really helpful forum, I have replaced the middle hall sensor with a ss41 hall sensor on the motor after I found the original white one to be giving an aprox 2.47v reading in all positions. ( the other two fluctuate between 4.95v and 0.02v depending if they are next to the red or blue magnets)

When I have tested the working bike , the middle hall sensor is giving the low voltage when the other two are high and vice versa- So I’m thinking that the white hall sensor is an inverse of the black one (makes sense I ‘spose: all sensors are next to blue magnets at the same time and also next to red at the same time.)

So after replacing with a black ss41 hall sensor, my next step would be to order a white hall sensor. However, I haven’t been able to track down a part number or find out any info about them. Can anyone throw any light on this matter for me.

I’ll include a couple of pics to help understanding...many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So if your thinking is correct the two Black ones are bipolar Halls requiring a + magnet pole to work and the white one could be a unipolar Hall requiring a - magnet pole to switch !!!!!

Though not White the unipolar SS41A requires the opposite pole to a bipolar SS41F

Most hubs use the same 3 pole halls of the bipolar type as do throttles and speed sensor.

jabmesen

May 28, 2020
Thanks for your help on this Nealh, I really do appreciate your time...That could be the answer, it seemed obvious to me at the outset that they aren't all the same- otherwise why would one be white? (probably a very easy way for factory workers to check the difference?)

The ss41 sensors on the motor are high with the red magnet and low with the blue. I assume the unipolar with swing from high (4.95v) with a blue magnet to 0v with a red and so on?

Only one other thing worth mentioning...As you can probably work out from the photo the blue cable is for the middle hall sensor.
When I test the working bike, at the bunch connector it is the green cable that is throwing opposite. The bikes are basically the same but badged differently and I'd rather not strip down to the motor, but if my suspicions are right the green is for the middle sensor on the working bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As with most ebike halls the source leg (RHS) is + and the latching leg (LHS) is -, leaving the middle leg as the drain leg and connection for the coloured hall.
Green, Blue &Yellow halls are generally marked a,b or c as indicated on the hub pcb though I have seen 1,2 & 3 used. Double check the controller pcb hall and continuity check the cable run to make sure nothing has been crossed during assembly as the White hall is clearly the Blue b hall at the hub pcb.

jabmesen

May 28, 2020
Again Nealh, I appreciate your help.... I have ordered one of the honeywell ss441a sensors you advised. So the acid test is probably next Thursday when it arrives.
I would rather order, or at least consider ordering other sensors that might work rather than have more disappointment and wait If the one I ordered doesn't work.
so I have looked closely at the pcb and tried to decipher the letters that are next to the control wires that go off to the motor controller just in case it means anything to you or anyone else. (seems quite an arbitrary code to me- but worth a shot!?) the photo seems to show c , q and d? though probably printed on the other side?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are a, b & c, the a & b as can be ciphered from the face of the hall pcb in the previous pics quite easily with c obscured on the face buy the ties.

jabmesen

May 28, 2020
Thanks- I can see you're absolutely right! I don't know why I didn't see that straight away, duhh.

jabmesen

May 28, 2020
well, I've had the ss441a delivered, added it to the circuit and no luck- the new hall sensor is reading the same values as the others at the same time- have you any ideas/ thoughts? thanks in anticipation

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No, if they aren't doing the job and with no hall id on them they could be anything as there are so many others hall designations.

jabmesen

May 28, 2020
thanks Neilh, I am trying to contact the manufacturer -sameway samebike, but the havent replied to my post from their website and I don't seem to be able to find any contact / support / suppliers in the uk.

Advertisers