Who was right?

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3720403/Who-wrong-Furious-row-erupts-undertaking-cyclist-taxi-collide-car-driver-makes-right-turn-without-indicating.html

For what it's worth, my memory of the Highway Code says that you're allowed to be on the outside of the dotted line whilst overtaking (as long as it's safe - which this was), and that under no circumstance can you turn without indicating and checking that it's clear to do so.

It would have been better if the Daily Wail had actually asked the local Chief Inspector to clarify that law rather than click-baiting.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It's pretty simple and clear. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre.

Had the car driver done either of the first two the accident could have been avoided.

The pedestrian has no idea what he's talking about, and does not know the difference between outside and inside.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, driver completely in the wrong, legally and morally. That pedestrian was probably just another of the anti-cycling brigade who are so common in Britain.

Saw a similar situation happen ahead of me many years ago, so I stopped my car, got out and crossed into the side road where the car driver and cyclist were similarly arguing. I offered to be a witness for the cyclist, gave him my card and left. He later wrote to me to say I'd killed off the car drivers claim and said he was surprised but pleased to have a car driver like me support him in that way.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
This sort of accident happens daily.
Don't overtake or pass at a junction.
I would say that the cyclist was daft to do so.
A bit of defensive riding and this incident would not have occurred.
Then nobody would be to blame for anything.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
When filtering keep your speed down.You should be able to stop if a car in front opens a door or turns in front of you.Highway code suggests you do not filter at junctions.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This sort of accident happens daily.
Don't overtake or pass at a junction.
I would say that the cyclist was daft to do so.
A bit of defensive riding and this incident would not have occurred.
Then nobody would be to blame for anything.
Yes, as you and Craiggor say, it was avoidable with defensive riding and why I've never been caught that way. However, the car driver should have used mirror and signal to make that manouvre, even a signal alone before the turn would have given the cyclist a better chance to stop in time.

• Agree
Reactions: SRS

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Not saying the driver was not at fault,just that its best to use defensive riding.Lots of silly cyclists on you tube.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: SRS

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
They are both wrong, and equally to blame. The taxi should have looked then indicated, the cyclist should have been on the left of the road, not in the middle, that is just suicidal behaviour. To say it's ok for a cycle because it's ok for a motorcycle is rubbish. Motorcycles have vastly superior acceleration and brakes and all motorcycle riders should ride slightly to the left of the centre line avoiding the oil slick in the centre of that lane. Motorcycles keep up with all the other vehicles, usually outpacing most, cycles cannot hope to do this and shouldn't try.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: chris_n and Gringo

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
They are both wrong, and equally to blame. The taxi should have looked then indicated, the cyclist should have been on the left of the road, not in the middle, that is just suicidal behaviour. To say it's ok for a cycle because it's ok for a motorcycle is rubbish. Motorcycles have vastly superior acceleration and brakes and all motorcycle riders should ride slightly to the left of the centre line avoiding the oil slick in the centre of that lane. Motorcycles keep up with all the other vehicles, usually outpacing most, cycles cannot hope to do this and shouldn't try.
Nonsense. The cyclist has every right to be on the outside when overtaking.

I agree that you need to be extremely careful when going so, but that doesn't mean you have to always stay on the left.

One could argue that the cyclist was just cautious enough. He avoided injury to himself despite others poor driving.

If that cab driver had complained to me about scratched paint I'd have become unnecessarily unpleasant.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: vidtek and chris_n

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Filtering down the left side is the main cause for mainly female cyclist deaths in London! The reason it is mainly female is being generally more risk averse they think it is safer to filter left than overtake on the right facing oncoming traffic. Drivers have a far larger blind spot on the left side of their vehicle too.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and vidtek

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Filtering down the left side is the main cause for mainly female cyclist deaths in London! The reason it is mainly female is being generally more risk averse they think it is safer to filter left than overtake on the right facing oncoming traffic. Drivers have a far larger blind spot on the left side of their vehicle too.
Chris-
That makes sense, but this was a suicidal testosterone fuelled male.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Nonsense. The cyclist has every right to be on the outside when overtaking.

I agree that you need to be extremely careful when going so, but that doesn't mean you have to always stay on the left.

One could argue that the cyclist was just cautious enough. He avoided injury to himself despite others poor driving.

If that cab driver had complained to me about scratched paint I'd have become unnecessarily unpleasant.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The only time a cyclist should venture to the outside of the lane is when they intend to turn right, anything else is just dangerous, it happens all the time, one bunch of cyclists sauntering along on the left of a queue of traffic, and the one or two wallys belting up the outside between the stationary queue and the traffic coming the other way, as I said suicidal behaviour.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The only time a cyclist should venture to the outside of the lane is when they intend to turn right, anything else is just dangerous, it happens all the time, one bunch of cyclists sauntering along on the left of a queue of traffic, and the one or two wallys belting up the outside between the stationary queue and the traffic coming the other way, as I said suicidal behaviour.
You might want to brush up on your cycling skills here.

All advice I have ever read advises filtering on the right as a preference.

Here's an example, from Cycle scheme:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/filtering

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Chris-
That makes sense, but this was a suicidal testosterone fuelled male.
Yes I agree that was the point of my post, females generally think that it is only testosterone fuelled lunatics that overtake on the right so they creep down the kerb and get left hooked into a barrier by someone who can't see them. Always overtake on the right unless there is a good cycle lanes on the left but in either case be very aware of all other road users, pedestrians can be a hazard too as they will step out without looking to cross in between stopped cars.
Treat all other road users as idiots is the best piece of driving/cycling advice I have ever been given.

Reactions: vidtek

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
You might want to brush up on your cycling skills here.

All advice I have ever read advises filtering on the right as a preference.

Here's an example, from Cycle scheme:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/filtering
OK, all my instincts on this I confess are pretty much out of date from the '60's and tainted by 33 years of Perth drivers. You would never attempt these sorts of manoeuvrings in downtown Perth, it would be absolute suicide. Drivers there have one aim, to get there before everyone else and stuff as many other people up while doing it as possible. I kid you not, if you are in the middle lane of the freeway and need to exit, after you indicate left, every single driver in the left lane will deliberately close up to stop you moving over, that's how bloody-minded they are.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
OK, all my instincts on this I confess are pretty much out of date from the '60's and tainted by 33 years of Perth drivers. You would never attempt these sorts of manoeuvrings in downtown Perth, it would be absolute suicide. Drivers there have one aim, to get there before everyone else and stuff as many other people up while doing it as possible. I kid you not, if you are in the middle lane of the freeway and need to exit, after you indicate left, every single driver in the left lane will deliberately close up to stop you moving over, that's how bloody-minded they are.
Sounds just like the wife.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
The driver was a tool for not checking mirrors or signalling
But the cyclist also shouldnt of been overtaking by a junction
Both are too blame in there own way
I suggest they both read the highway code .

Advertisers