Why driving isn't fun anymore :(

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A recent 600 mile round trip to the South of England, confirmed my reasons why I just don't enjoy driving my car much these days. It was mostly A1(M) and M25. Last time I did a trip like this was a few years ago.

Here are a few of the observations I made during the trip.
  1. The usual middle lane hoggers on the motorways, going no faster than traffic in the slow lane. I realise this has been going on for decades, but I don't remember it ever being this bad.
  2. Motorcyclists squeezing between two vehicles travelling at 60+ on dual carriageways. Utter madness :eek:
  3. Motorists thinking that because you are sticking religiously to the 50mph average speed camera sections of road, that they have the right to tailgate bully you into going a little faster.
  4. Not slowing down when the heavens open and the roads become slippy.
  5. One section of the M25 had 4 lanes condense into 1, the fast lane. There were plenty of signs warning drivers that this was occurring up ahead. A vast number of knobheads decided that the sign didn't apply to them, and carried on zooming down the other 3 lanes to pull in at the last moment. They obviously thought they were being clever and shaving some time off their journey, but they actual created more congestion.
These are just a few of the things I saw. I travelled late at night both ways, so I can't imagine what it would be like doing this trip during the day.

Does anyone else feel that driving has become a necessity, and not an enjoyment of freedom like it used to be?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I still enjoy it in the South East most of the time, but timing and choice of roads is everything. Get either of those wrong and it's hell, so local knowledge is vital for each journey.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I get fed up with people that dont understand motorways.... There is no such thing as a slow lane, or a fast lane.
There are lanes 1,2 & 3.... lanes 2 & 3 are overtaking lanes, nothing more.
Impractical though. When the nearside lane is full of heavies it's necessary to stay in the middle lane for very protracted periods. And when that's also clogged and locked at 60 mph or so by those who won't drive faster, the faster traffic fills the outside lane.

That's the reality most of the time in the South East, all lanes full.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Impractical though. When the nearside lane is full of heavies it's necessary to stay in the middle lane for very protracted periods. And when that's also clogged and locked at 60 mph or so by those who won't drive faster, the faster traffic fills the outside lane.

That's the reality most of the time in the South East, all lanes full.
Congestion doesn't matter, the rules of motorways are still the same. If you cant move over to lane 1, then obviously you're not going to if something is there. But you should return to lane 1 whenever its appropriate.
Some people cant be bothered, because they think they'll have to move out again in 3 or 4 hundred yards. Then you have the clueless that believe its perfectly ok to stay in lane 2 whatever.

Reactions: Fordulike

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I'm down South also. I used to get wound up all the time by the others.

It's what it is down here and it's not going to get any better.

Changed my frame of mind years ago. Chuck in a flask of coffee and cup. Turn up the music and just go with the flow. Get there when I get there.

No stress nowadays.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congestion doesn't matter, the rules of motorways are still the same. If you cant move over to lane 1, then obviously you're not going to if something is there. But you should return to lane 1 whenever its appropriate.
Some people cant be bothered, because they think they'll have to move out again in 3 or 4 hundred yards. Then you have the clueless that believe its perfectly ok to stay in lane 2 whatever.
I don't disagree and drive predomominantly in the n/s lane when I can. But in the South East on the M1, M2, M20, M25, M23, and M3 it's impossible most of the time between early morning and very late evening. That's why some of those have lane speed cameras, coping with the congestion by holding all the lanes to fixed identical speeds. That's the authorities accepting and wanting all lanes used the whole width of the motorway. Indeed that even includes the hard shoulder as well in places.

Driving the way you prescribe is historic and now largely theoretical in many parts with today's congested conditions. Indeed it can even be dangerous at times.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I'm down South also. I used to get wound up all the time by the others.

It's what it is down here and it's not going to get any better.

Changed my frame of mind years ago. Chuck in a flask of coffee and cup. Turn up the music and just go with the flow. Get there when I get there.

No stress nowadays.
Yup true..... we just have to put up with it. Our roads are so congested there's not much we can do about it.
Working as a trucker most of my life, i could write a book about what other drivers do that have wound me up..... but whats the point. No one cares and everyone thinks they're a perfect driver anyway.

Reactions: SRS and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No one cares and everyone thinks they're a perfect driver anyway.
Almost everyone! I insist I'm a learner driver, despite my 64 years with a licence, simply because there's always something new to learn and by doing that it stops me being complacent.

Result, clean licence and full NCD since the year dot, so it pays to be a learner. :)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I don't disagree and drive predomominantly in the n/s lane when I can. But in the South East on the M1, M2, M20, M25, M23, and M3 it's impossible most of the time between early morning and very late evening. That's why some of those have lane speed cameras, coping with the congestion by holding all the lanes to fixed identical speeds. That's the authorities accepting and wanting all lanes used the whole width of the motorway. Indeed that even includes the hard shoulder as well in places.

Driving the way you prescribe is historic and now largely theoretical in many parts with today's congested conditions. Indeed it can even be dangerous at times.
Well i live in the south west, just off the M5, we can have horrendous congestion down here, especially in holiday season.... but its not always like that. Then i can drive to the usual motorways rules fine.... others simply cant or wont comprehend these simple rules of lane 1, 2 & 3.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well i live in the south west, just off the M5, we can have horrendous congestion down here, especially in holiday season.... but its not always like that. Then i can drive to the usual motorways rules fine.... others simply cant or wont comprehend these simple rules of lane 1, 2 & 3.
I know that's true and I've seen it for myself closer to you. I occasionally drive down to Dorset, using the M27 westbound in the later stages, and on that it's usually clear enough to use with the correct lane discipline. But as you say, theres always some middle lane hoggers and even the odd fast lane ones, and they irritate me just as much.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
A few years back, the police were given powers to fine drivers for lane hogging in lanes 2 & 3. I was all for it.
Has anyone ever been fined ? ..... it doesn't seem to be enforced at all !

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I get fed up with people that dont understand motorways.... There is no such thing as a slow lane, or a fast lane.
There are lanes 1,2 & 3.... lanes 2 & 3 are overtaking lanes, nothing more.
Whoops, I did ponder over whether to correctly describe the lanes, but thought I would quote an old fashioned description.

I do understand motorways... honest :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Nearly forgot. I did have a motorcyclist at one stage, riding at 65mph literally feet from my rear bumper. I was overtaking at the time, and passing a lorry ready to pull back into the first lane as soon as I safely could. They were a good 300 metres back when I carried out the manoeuvre, so must have been bombing it.

The point is, if I had to brake for whatever reason, they would have been history. I have absolutely nothing against motorcyclists, but it's utter lunacy to play with one's life like that :eek:

Reactions: flecc

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Whoops, I did ponder over whether to correctly describe the lanes, but thought I would quote an old fashioned description.

I do understand motorways... honest :D
Its the continual use of calling motorway lanes 'the slow lane' and 'the fast lane' that makes some people ignorant of how motorway lanes should be used.
I've actually heard some of these people talking about fast & slow lanes in a literal sense. Like.... "I'm going too fast to be in the slow lane".... said when lane 1 is empty.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I realise I'm very privileged to live where I do as for me, driving is still an absolute pleasure.
On the whole folk are very courteous, the scenery is fantastic and no motorways to raise my blood pressure.
The roads could do with a few less potholes but I guess that's pretty well a country wide problem.
Sympathies to you guys, I know what it's like having spent many years driving around Manchester and would never ever want to go back to that again.
Dave.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Its the continual use of calling motorway lanes 'the slow lane' and 'the fast lane' that makes some people ignorant of how motorway lanes should be used.
I've actually heard some of these people talking about fast & slow lanes in a literal sense. Like.... "I'm going too fast to be in the slow lane".... said when lane 1 is empty.
I know it's not politically correct, but you'd be surprised how many people still use the terms fast and slow lane. You are totally correct about some drivers just not understanding the rules of the motorway, maybe due to hearing these terms and taking them too literally.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
When riding my motorcycle, i avoid motorways as much as possible.... not only are they boring as f***, but they square my tyres as well.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's really American naming originally, and commonly heard down here since it is how we've adapted to our congestion. We drive in the lane for our speed when all the lanes are full up since it's the only way that makes sense.

Early morning and late evening on the M25 south the lanes divide up into 55ish near side mainly of trucks, the next one or two lanes at around 60 and 70ish mph and the outside lane at 80 to 90 or more. I'm often on the outside lane at around that but move over from time to time for the odd 100 plus car coming up fast. But that's the only time I change lanes when they are all very full of traffic since it's safer that way, and all the regular and local drivers do the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I know it's not politically correct, but you'd be surprised how many people still use the terms fast and slow lane. You are totally correct about some drivers just not understanding the rules of the motorway, maybe due to hearing these terms and taking them too literally.
I can be driving down lane 1 and getting closer & closer to a slower driver sitting in lane 2.... so when i reach them, i have to pull out into lane 2, then lane 3 to overtake them.
As i pass i usually give them some sort of sign of what i think of them..... many times these people will look at me with no comprehension whatsoever that they've done anything wrong.
These are the sort of people that believe in slow lanes & fast lanes.

Advertisers