Why driving isn't fun anymore :(

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I get stressed by all the camera's watching me/drivers every move nowadays.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I actively despise driving anywhere now in the car, standard of driving has diminished year on year.

I cycle to work and roadtest motorbikes daily, I would say at least once a day I have to take avoiding action to prevent being knocked into or off buy bus/ car drivers not paying any attention to their surroundings.

People staring into their phones while crossing the road is also far too common, as it the pushchair/ pram being pushed into the road while the parent is safely out of harms way..

Common sense seems to be long forgotten!.

Mar 9, 2016
My god, isn't negativity fun...
I still love driving. Cars are best they,ve ever been. Road deaths and serious injury lowest they have ever been.
Drove back from days sailing today, enjoyed drive as much as sail. Car did 52 mpg, goes great when asked. Handles brilliant, for a big bus ( mondei diesel estate 2 2 ) Carries all windsurf gear inside and bike on back. Cheap to buy, cheap to run. Cruised through France last month at 100 mph. Testament to modern cars. Cant fault it. Goes like a sport car from 80,s but still economical , quiet and comfortable.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My god, isn't negativity fun...
I still love driving. Cars are best they,ve ever been. Road deaths and serious injury lowest they have ever been.
Drove back from days sailing today, enjoyed drive as much as sail. Car did 52 mpg, goes great when asked. Handles brilliant, for a big bus ( mondei diesel estate 2 2 ) Carries all windsurf gear inside and bike on back. Cheap to buy, cheap to run. Cruised through France last month at 100 mph. Testament to modern cars. Cant fault it. Goes like a sport car from 80,s but still economical , quiet and comfortable.
I second every word Flud, driving is indeed still great, even the least of today's cars being infinitely better than those of yesteryear.

The only downside is the UK roads, both condition and congestion, but at least we are in considerable climate controlled comfort while enduring them.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Speed bumps really annoy me ! There must be a better way to slow down traffic in built up areas,between them the speed bumps and pot holes don't half give the suspension a hard time.Another thing I think is crazy is the plan to do away with the hard shoulder on some sections of the motorway!!!!!

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
recent two week holiday in North Norfolk and only used car to tow caravan down, then parked it up for almost two weeks - only one day on hliday to transport bikes to Holt - and then used it to drive home...2 weeks of cycling...didnt miss the car !!

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I much prefer cycling to taking the car out wherever possible.

York is normally gridlocked in rush hours..

Used to have a drive down to the coast on a Sunday but even that had become a chore due to being stuck in traffic jams.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Must say that I am fortunate living in Wales. I drove around the M25 last week, horrendous and somewhat frightening.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Must say that I am fortunate living in Wales. I drove around the M25 last week, horrendous and somewhat frightening.
Yes indeed, the M25 is strictly only suitable for the regulars and locals. It can be a very dangerous place for the unfamiliar. At its best I quite like it, but those occasions are when the unfamiliar would find it the most frightening.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I like the way that the highways agency, or whoever, have decided that every journey should be a mystery drive.

Out yesterday and I would say that probably 95% of road signs and directions were totally obscured by foliage and I am not talking about just country lanes but also major dual carriage ways.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I like the way that the highways agency, or whoever, have decided that every journey should be a mystery drive.

Out yesterday and I would say that probably 95% of road signs and directions were totally obscured by foliage and I am not talking about just country lanes but also major dual carriage ways.
I think they are using SATNAVs as an excuse to save money, just assuming people don't need signage so much now.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I just had the most fantastic drive from Nabouwalu to Savusavu - beautiful new road, almost no other traffic and no speed cameras or police. Best drive since about 1978 from the centre of Edinburgh to Glenborrodale in the early hours of a summer day in an old shape Alfa GTV.

Although, despite the thin traffic they still manage to hit each other

Here's one of Savusavu harbour

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers