Why so few hub geared bikes with belts ? Looking at Kalkhoff

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've built a Nuvinci hubbed mid drive bike with a chain but my GTECH has me sold on the Gates Carbon Drive (8,000 mile and 5 winters with no maintenance at all).

Geared hub, Carbon Belt and mid drive are the Holy Grail imho.

Richard Newton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2021
I've built a Nuvinci hubbed mid drive bike with a chain but my GTECH has me sold on the Gates Carbon Drive (8,000 mile and 5 winters with no maintenance at all).

Geared hub, Carbon Belt and mid drive are the Holy Grail imho.
I'm beginning to think there's the start of a debate here. How about it? The Enviolo Nuvinci system is revolutionary. It's the first really new idea for decades. It matches the "e" bike perfectly. Come on all your thoughts on this system both for it and against it but keep it clean and sensible. You never know we may actually come up with ideas to improve on it.
THE THEME IS ENVIOLO NUVINCI AND GATES CARBON DRIVE BELT IS IT RIGHT FOR PEDELECERS?

Reactions: Jasebabe

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I'd like a belt capable frame with disk brake mounts eventually to transfer all my kit over and convert to Carbon Drive/ Nuvinci Hub and TSDZ2 Mid drive. For me that would be an amazing ebike.

I have a spare GTECH but that is on rim brakes (and my wife has her eye on it!).

Richard Newton

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2021
I'd like a belt capable frame with disk brake mounts eventually to transfer all my kit over and convert to Carbon Drive/ Nuvinci Hub and TSDZ2 Mid drive. For me that would be an amazing ebike.

I have a spare GTECH but that is on rim brakes (and my wife has her eye on it!).
Hi Keith
Good point about the frame. As the carbon belt is endless you do require a special frame that has a brake in it or window to allow the belt to be fitted. I would imagine they are reasonably easy to get now as endless belts have been around a few years.
Any chance your wife will be reasonable and allow you to have the GTECH? If not have a look at the Kalkhoff range they do a number of belted options some with the Nuvinci system.
RichardN