Windy but it's not that windy?

Chobbit

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
Manchester
It might be a placebo but this has happened to me a few times where I've cycled home on days that are warm/hot like today, when I'm not moving there's hardly any wind at all but as soon as you start cycling it feels like there's a constant wind pushing against me like I'm trying to cycle through water.

Is this a thing? maybe something to do with air pressure as I find it more on days that have a big change in temperature over the day.

Confused

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Is it happening over the cut off limit
If so it’s called getting fitter and the down fall of 21kg bikes :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Up to 12 mph wind resistance scarcely matters, but from there on it's increasingly felt and at 20 mph needs a lot of effort to overcome.

Pedelec power cutoff at around 15 mph makes the wind resistance above that feel even worse as said above.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Up to 12 mph wind resistance scarcely matters, but from there on it's increasingly felt and at 20 mph needs a lot of effort to overcome.

Pedelec power cutoff at around 15 mph makes the wind resistance above that feel even worse as said above.
Tomorrow's predicted 29 mph gusting 56 will need a LOT of effort...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tomorrow's predicted 29 mph gusting 56 will need a LOT of effort...
Not if the rider chooses the right direction, it could mean no pedalling, motor or 15.5mph assist limit.

As the apocryphal Irishman said when asked to give directions to a lost person, "If I was going there I wouldn't start from here". :)

• :D
Reactions: Fat Rat

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Burning hot southerly blowing to 20 kts, gusting has diminished somewhat since earlier but still to over 35 kts. The cloud is breaking up and letting through spells of brilliant sunshine.

Reactions: flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
when I'm not moving there's hardly any wind at all but as soon as you start cycling it feels like there's a constant wind pushing against me like I'm trying to cycle through water.
Yesterday I found the wind was from an unusual direction. I live on the North Wales coast, and it's usually the case that the wind is either helping me a lot or I'm riding virtually directly into it. Yesterday however the wind seemed to be blowing across me ie. out to sea, and I found it was sort of against me on the outward and homeward journey.

Chobbit

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
Manchester
I only ever run my bike on lowest setting which assists up to 7mph I believe, it just is wierd when you stop and feel no wind and not a tree or bush are swaying, then when your moving it feels like 20mph winds but its a hot day with 8mph winds.

Certainly glad I didn't cycle today its mental out there.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Certainly glad I didn't cycle today its mental out there.
I did cycle in to work - wished I hadn't bother with waterproofs - only a handful of drops.

More concerned about going home. Gusting 66 apparently at the moment.

Added:

Also cycled home. One hell of a lot windier and quite a lot of rain. But it felt surprisingly good.

Last edited:

Advertisers