Wisper 705 brake bleed adapter

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
I need to bleed my 705 brakes. I bought what is supposed to be a Shimano compatible MTB bleed bowl with adapters, but none of them seem to fit. The narrow one looks about right but a bit short, and the threads don't engage. Anyone any ideas what adapters or bleed kits I need to get?

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
I measured the port screw and the plastic adapter that came with EZmtb base kit. They are both M5 and the thread pitch looks the same. I can only assume that the plastic adapter is slightly undersized. I notice in the Wisper how to video, the mechanic uses a bleed bowl with a metal adapter.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Nearly all hydraulic bicycle brakes are self-bleeding. You don't need any bleeding kits. Just position the bike so that the hose goes generally uphill from the caliper and pump the lever until the air has come out.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
My wife needed to adjust the reach on her 705 ?

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
The metal bleed cup fitted perfectly, so both brakes bled at the lever and the sponginess has gone. I also increased the lever reach.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Nearly all hydraulic bicycle brakes are self-bleeding. You don't need any bleeding kits. Just position the bike so that the hose goes generally uphill from the caliper and pump the lever until the air has come out.
Where does the air come out? Do you take the lid off the master cylinder reservoir?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Where does the air come out? Do you take the lid off the master cylinder reservoir?
There's no need to take the lid off the reservoir because the volume in the system doesn't change; however, what I've noticed is that the more air is in the reservoir, the higher the chance of air going into the hose when you invert the bike. On the other hand, if you fill the rervoir to the top, then start riding your bike, the heat from the brake expands the oil, and it can make your brake jam on permanently until you let some oil out. That's why cars and motorbikes have that rubber bellows thing in there, but I haven't seen one in a bike brake, though it doesn't mean they're all like that.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
There's no need to take the lid off the reservoir because the volume in the system doesn't change; however, what I've noticed is that the more air is in the reservoir, the higher the chance of air going into the hose when you invert the bike. On the other hand, if you fill the rervoir to the top, then start riding your bike, the heat from the brake expands the oil, and it can make your brake jam on permanently until you le
Please forgive my thickness but where does the air come out then, when you pump the lever? Do you open the bleed screw on the caliper? Or does it rise to the surface inside the reservoir?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Please forgive my thickness but where does the air come out then, when you pump the lever? Do you open the bleed screw on the caliper? Or does it rise to the surface inside the reservoir?
No air can get into the system, except when you turn the bike upside dow, in which case a bubble gets into the hose and makes the brakes spongy. When you turn the bike up the other way, you pull the lever about ten times, and you feel it gradually becoming firmer as the air bubbles back into the reservoir and sits above the surface until the lever is firm again. I have had a couple of times when the air couldn't easily get back out because it was trapped further down the hose. In that case, I just tilted the bike so that it was uphill all the way up the hose. Air always tries to go upwards.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
No air can get into the system, except when you turn the bike upside dow, in which case a bubble gets into the hose and makes the brakes spongy. When you turn the bike up the other way, you pull the lever about ten times, and you feel it gradually becoming firmer as the air bubbles back into the reservoir and sits above the surface until the lever is firm again. I have had a couple of times when the air couldn't easily get back out because it was trapped further down the hose. In that case, I just tilted the bike so that it was uphill all the way up the hose. Air always tries to go upwards.
Good to know, thanks.

So I guess the only time one would need a bleed kit would be if you wanted to replace all the fluid or build a brake from scratch from separate components.

Apologies for the thread hijack OP.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Air space in the reservoir increases as the brake pad wear increases, unless one lays a bike on it's side or upturns it then air shouldn't be an issue.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Good to know, thanks.

So I guess the only time one would need a bleed kit would be if you wanted to replace all the fluid or build a brake from scratch from separate components.

Apologies for the thread hijack OP.
You don't need a bleed kit at all for most bicycle hydraulic brakes. I've replaced calipers and hoses, and I never needed one. Air always tries to go up in oil, so just hold everything so that the only way is up.

You never need to replace the brake fluid either. That's a scam when they do it to your car or motorbike. They tell you that the oil can absorb moisture, but the system is completely sealed. There's nowhere for the moisture to come from unless you open the reservoir every day to check something. My motorbike was 20 years old with 40, 000 miles and never had anything done to the coolant or brake fluid. Everything worked perfectly, especially the brakes. It had only done 1100 miles when I bought it, so all servicing was done by me. All it ever needed was engine oil and filter change, brake pads, occasional light bulb, tyres and occasional lube on the choke cable.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
You don't need a bleed kit at all for most bicycle hydraulic brakes. I've replaced calipers and hoses, and I never needed one. Air always tries to go up in oil, so just hold everything so that the only way is up.

You never need to replace the brake fluid either. That's a scam when they do it to your car or motorbike. They tell you that the oil can absorb moisture, but the system is completely sealed. There's nowhere for the moisture to come from unless you open the reservoir every day to check something. My motorbike was 20 years old with 40, 000 miles and never had anything done to the coolant or brake fluid. Everything worked perfectly, especially the brakes. It had only done 1100 miles when I bought it, so all servicing was done by me. All it ever needed was engine oil and filter change, brake pads, occasional light bulb, tyres and occasional lube on the choke cable.
I learn something new every day on this forum.

I remember years ago, me and my mate fitted a complete new front brake on his Suzuki GSX600 . All the components were dry and needed filling with hydraulic fluid.
We naturally assumed we'd just have to fill the reservoir, open the bleed screw on the caliper and pump it through.
But it didn't work, the fluid refused to budge no matter how much we pumped the lever.
A quick trip to our local motorbike shop and had a chat with a mechanic. He said we were filling it from the wrong end, he suggested we get a big syringe and pump the fluid into the brake from the caliper bleed hole and up into the reservoir until you got to the right level. It worked, once the brake components are filled with fluid you can bleed it to your heart's content.

Of course with pushbikes one simply buys the complete brake system pre-filled with fluid, just shove it on the bike, tighten three screws, job done.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Advertisers