wisper 806 torque advice needed

ElizaQ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2020
Hello, I'm new here. I've read discussions for a while and appreciate the information so after trying out my new Wisper 806 torque, decided that this was the place to come and ask for advice. Until yesterday (when my long-awaited Wisper finally arrived), I'd been riding a Popal E-Folt 1.0 which is a bit like the Wisper but didn't have torque and doesn't seem as well-made. But I got a shock. When I rode the Wisper, I found that I couldn't ride it up the hill to my house without using the throttle. On the Popal (which just had cadence sensors, no throttle) I could ride up the hill in pedal assist 4, sometimes pa3 (gear 4) with no problem, but on the Wisper I tried first of all in gear 4, pedal assist 4, then changed to gear 3 but that seemed worse (?!) then had to use the throttle (which worked fine). On my second trip I tried the hill in pedal assist 5 but still couldn't get up it and had to use the throttle again. My question is - is this normal? Is the torque option always harder to pedal than a bike with cadence sensors? (I also needed pedal assist 3 or 4 along the flat whereas with the Popal I used assist 1 or 2). If this is normal for a torque option then I'll just have to work harder at getting my legs stronger but it was a shock. I do have to add that the setting off with the torque was lovely and just how Wisper described it. The dealer that I bought it from (not local) was great and it arrived well set-up with everything working fine. Sorry for the long preamble, I'll be grateful to receive advice.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi, have you checked the brakes are not binding? try lifting the wheels and see if they are spinning freely.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did check that several times and both wheels are spinning freely. I wondered if it could be possible that the settings for the pedal assist were wrong? Could that be possible?

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
PS. That's what I first thought and it did feel as though the brakes might be binding when I was trying to pedal, but they weren't and they are still fine. Have just been to check them again now. Thanks so much for your reply.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are you putting in the extra effort that torque sensing requires ?
Unlike your PAS cadence style bike you can't just pedal without a care in the world.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I'm putting in as much effort as I possibly can because I didn't want to use the throttle at all. I had been feeling proud that I had reduced the pedal assist I used on the Popal uphill (from 4 to sometimes 3) and had changed the gear I used uphills from 3 to 4. But you might be right. Perhaps I need to build up my muscles still further. I am 72 years old, reasonably fit but not really a cyclist. I have only taken up cycling - and I mean ebiking - in the last year and have been thrilled to find how much I have enjoyed it - and how much I have started relying on it. The bike is my only form of transport. I don't have a car. But you might be right. I bought the bike without knowing that the torque sensor meant I would have to pedal much harder than I had done so far. I am trying. I just wanted to know if my experience was normal or if there might be something wrong with the bike settings. Thanks again.

JOIG

Sep 5, 2017
Scotland
Hello, I'm new here. I've read discussions for a while and appreciate the information so after trying out my new Wisper 806 torque, decided that this was the place to come and ask for advice. Until yesterday (when my long-awaited Wisper finally arrived), I'd been riding a Popal E-Folt 1.0 which is a bit like the Wisper but didn't have torque and doesn't seem as well-made. But I got a shock. When I rode the Wisper, I found that I couldn't ride it up the hill to my house without using the throttle. On the Popal (which just had cadence sensors, no throttle) I could ride up the hill in pedal assist 4, sometimes pa3 (gear 4) with no problem, but on the Wisper I tried first of all in gear 4, pedal assist 4, then changed to gear 3 but that seemed worse (?!) then had to use the throttle (which worked fine). On my second trip I tried the hill in pedal assist 5 but still couldn't get up it and had to use the throttle again. My question is - is this normal? Is the torque option always harder to pedal than a bike with cadence sensors? (I also needed pedal assist 3 or 4 along the flat whereas with the Popal I used assist 1 or 2). If this is normal for a torque option then I'll just have to work harder at getting my legs stronger but it was a shock. I do have to add that the setting off with the torque was lovely and just how Wisper described it. The dealer that I bought it from (not local) was great and it arrived well set-up with everything working fine. Sorry for the long preamble, I'll be grateful to receive advice.
I had a look at the 806 manual as taken from the the Wisper site . I think you can switch off the torque mode.
3.4.4 Setting H is used to turn off the torque sensor. On setting H as soon as the pedals are rotating you will receive maximum assistance from the bike. You will not get any assistance on start off until the pedals have been turned ¼ of a revolution. H setting should only be used when you want maximum assistance from the bike without putting much pressure on the pedals. Using H setting will reduce your range by up to 30%
Don't know if this solves your problem might be worth trying.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the H setting reverts to PAS cadence at max current.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi all,

The H mods is only on the older bikes. On the new bikes you can override the torque sensor by twisting the throttle. The torque system will give you instant power on a hill start but you have to either press harder on the pedals or use the twist throttle to get Max power.

All the best, David

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Thanks to you both. I've only just seen these replies. I have used the throttle when I couldn't manage to pedal any further up hill and it worked so that is very useful. The difference in ease of pedalling is huge. However, I'm still grateful to have the start-up power of the torque. Thanks again.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes