Wisper 905 - what's the Nm torque rating?

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
D 8veh and Trex do argue about crank and hub drives.
Cranks are good and potentially more efficient.
They were the best for a number of years and the Panasonic held the crown for most of them.
Hubs are simpler and cheaper with a greater selection on the market.
Panasonic are an up and coming brand here now?
You must remember that power up hill costs watt hours, you get better performance with a high powered motor.
But a lot less range.
A lower power motor will keep going for longer with the same battery. And usually that will mean greater range even if you don't pedal much.

But here's my hobby horse. A legal motor can make you a super cyclist.
If you do have an incident an illegal one could stop you from claiming and even end up I front of the beak.
If you want to do +30mph with a range of over 100miles there are plenty of mopeds.
the part about hub and crank drives are very true though, each having benefits - the only bit i would add (having just done fifteen miles on a kalkhoff Tasman) is that a good crank drive with a torque sensor is a revelation, a Chinese crank drive with a movement sensor is really not a revelation, at all, in any sense of the word...

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i wouldn't recommend 30mph on a pedelec to anyone though
What, not even downhill? I do that quite often downhill on my way back from the supermarket, gravity powered by shopping!

Here in pedelecs we actually have an unofficial 50 mph club for those who've exceeded that downhill. My best is just fractionally short of that.

See this link item

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the part about hub and crank drives are very true though, each having benefits - the only bit i would add (having just done fifteen miles on a kalkhoff Tasman) is that a good crank drive with a torque sensor is a revelation, a Chinese crank drive with a movement sensor is really not a revelation, at all, in any sense of the word...
the Bafang BBS01 is somewhere in between. Bafang are playing catch-up and will release their torque sensing version soon. The good thing about Chinese CDs is that you can get more powerful versions.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
What, not even downhill? I do that quite often downhill on my way back from the supermarket, gravity powered by shopping!

Here in pedelecs we actually have an unofficial 50 mph club for those who've exceeded that downhill. My best is just fractionally short of that.

See this link item
urgggh, yes, I have done 40 plus on a non electric racer downhill (breaking all laws except nature's), OK, maybe 30 is OK, but a pothole at 50 on my pedelec would definitely result in permanent removal from this forum, so to speak..

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I was with Shimano last week at Eurobike. I asked their tech Director what the maximum electronic power they would allow through ANY of their transmission systems, as we can turn the new Kombi centre motor up to well beyond 100Nm.

His reply was 30Nm from standstill building up to 50Nm when the bike was moving otherwise the Shimano components will not be within warranty. Worth remembering when purchasing a mid motor bike. The best set up is a Nuvinci 360 through a Gates or Continental carbon belt, but that is expensive.

Hub motors of course don't have to go through the bike's transmission.

All the best

David

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I was with Shimano last week at Eurobike. I asked their tech Director what the maximum electronic power they would allow through ANY of their transmission systems, as we can turn the new Kombi centre motor up to well beyond 100Nm.

His reply was 30Nm from standstill building up to 50Nm when the bike was moving otherwise the Shimano components will not be within warranty. Worth remembering when purchasing a mid motor bike. The best set up is a Nuvinci 360 through a Gates or Continental carbon belt, but that is expensive.

All the best

David
yes, I used to have a giant lafree/twist that aye hub gears (went through three in as many years). incongruously though my OH's klakhof tasman remains fine despite her (and me) putting much more than the maximum 70nM through its shimano 8 speed hub. I frankly don't understand it (I assume its the pause thingy between gears that make the teeth mesh much more completely)..

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
incongruously though my OH's klakhof tasman remains fine despite her (and me) putting much more than the maximum 70nM through its shimano 8 speed hub. I frankly don't understand it (I assume its the pause thingy between gears that make the teeth mesh much more completely)..
the Bosch Classic motor in the Tasman has 44T on the front cog, 20T on the Alfine-8 on the rear cog, the maximum torque transmitted to the rear cog is 50NM * 20/44 = 22.7NM, within the recommendations.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yes, I used to have a giant lafree/twist that aye hub gears (went through three in as many years). incongruously though my OH's klakhof tasman remains fine despite her (and me) putting much more than the maximum 70nM through its shimano 8 speed hub. I frankly don't understand it (I assume its the pause thingy between gears that make the teeth mesh much more completely)..
The four speed Shimano hub gear that was on one of the Lafree range for a while suffered numerous failures and as a result, Shimano discontinued it. That was replaced by the SRAM 5 speed and later the SRAM 7 speed hub gear, but they suffered a very slow downward gear change. Trying to rush those usually lead to eventual trouble due to chips of metal being broken away and either breaking up the rest or jamming the gear stationary.

The much larger diameter Shimano 8 speed hubs have more robust components, probably contributing to the better reliability.

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
the Bosch Classic motor in the Tasman has 44T on the front cog, 20T on the Alfine-8 on the rear cog, the maximum torque transmitted to the rear cog is 50NM * 20/44 = 22.7NM, within the recommendations.
I'm afraid youre wrong - teh tasman with impulse 2 (that's all tasmans that are less than a year old) have an impulse 2 motor with 70 nM.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
The four speed Shimano hub gear that was on one of the Lafree range for a while suffered numerous failures and as a result, Shimano discontinued it. That was replaced by the SRAM 5 speed and later the SRAM 7 speed hub gear, but they suffereed a very slow downward gear change. Trying to rush those usually lead to eventual trouble due to chips of metal being broken away and either breaking up the rest or jamming the gear stationary.

The much larger diameter Shimano 8 speed hubs have more robust components, probably contributing to the better reliability.
one other thing that makes shimano 8 speeds attractive are that their very cheap..

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
but you are right to bring in the way gears (naturally) affect torque on a hub, it's easilly overlooked (though my lafree with all of its 24 V nonetheles ate all hubs - sram included - until i put in a rohloff )

hoppy

May 25, 2010

All the best

David

All the best

David
30Nm from rest is remarkably low when a 15 stone rider standing on the pedals exerts a torque of over 140Nm.

Advertisers