Wisper 905se City 2000 mile review.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
2000 mile review of Wisper 905se City (aka Superbikey).

Superbikey is as spritely now as he was 2000 miles ago. The battery still registers a healthy half-full yellow light when I get home (15 mile a day journey). Bear in mind that Superbikey does the bulk of the work as my fitness level approaches 0 (from the negative side). I'm not that bad, honestly. Mostly I'm faced with a wind on the homeward leg and SB takes the brunt of that. If it's too stiff I do assist with a fair bit of effort (SB probably thinks it's not a fair bit) just to keep the speed up.

80% of my journey is derestricted so more power is used, but the batteries are still amazing. My journey is mostly flat with only two moderate but short hills. Hills is the wrong word as they are more akin to the length of an off-ramp on a dual carriageway.

SB is still in excellent condition and has been subjected to many downpours. He looks as good today as he did on the day I got him.

Only downside is I've now had seven broken spokes on the back wheel. I had two go in one week but mostly each break is spaced out to three to four weeks. Many thanks to Norman at Wisper for providing me with spares.

The spokes are dead easy to replace due the wheel design having a double construction hub side. The spoke nipples do not come anywhere near the innertube and are free to rotate without causing damage. This means that if you are careful you can thread the new spoke, remove the old one and keep hold of the nipple then thread it on to the new spoke and tighten it up. Takes less than five minutes. I tighten it up so it 'pings' like its neighbours when plucked.

I did notice at the 500 mile point (when adjusting the spokes) that some seemed very over tight, to the point I couldn't slacken them because the nipple was in danger of being rounded off by the spoke key. I suspect it's these ones that are snapping. I expect the breakages will stop once those are gone. I'm no light-weight and SB is kept on 80% power mode so after half a pedal rotation the motor kicks in and you occasionally hear a spoke groan. I feel the spokes on the rear wheel could be a little thicker.

Ah, the spoke always breaks at the hub. All seven of 'em.

Oh, did I say that I've only had one puncture (touch wood) in those two thousand miles? No! Well I have. The Kenda puncture resistant tyres 1.25" wide, do an admiral job of protecting my tubes (not those tubes - INNER tubes). The Slime in the tube let me easily get home after the one and (so far) only puncture. But here's the rub, it took a week to find out I'd got one. It took ages for the tyre to lose pressure enough to the point where I suspected a puncture (the hole was tiny, miniscule even).

So, the upshot is this: Am I still happy with my Wisper 905se City? You betcha sweet little thingy I am. Nothing, not even broken spokes, has diminshed my love of this great bike.

Vikki (casts a salute toward the Wisper guys).

PS: Any typos come free of charge.

Last edited:

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Vicki, how long is the journey taking you? I'm interested in the speeds you are maintaining.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Just under 30 minutes each way. More accurately, 28 mins to work (wind usually with me). 31 mins home (wind usually against me).

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi Vikki: Enyoyed reading your review of SB while tucking into my lunch. I take it thats 15 miles a day return - 7.5 miles each way. Thinking about it that's a daft question since SB would going like the clappers if it wasn't:eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Vikki, do you really think you should need to change spokes so often?

My rear wheels were rebuilt by SJS under warranty.....it has been bomb proof since. I'm around 16-17 stone and the bike has been fine for 9 months now. Mind you I don't use it for a long commute but try and get out regularly for exercise.....just did 10 miles and thats enough for me!

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
No, I don't, but the breakages are getting longer between and I'm hoping it settles down to no breakages. :) Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought this was normal, I don't, it just doesn't rattle my cage. If I had to take the tyre off each time it would seriously rattle my cage.

2000 miles in 7 months BTW. Forgot to put the timescale in.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Hi Vikki, do you really think you should need to change spokes so often?

My rear wheels were rebuilt by SJS under warranty.....it has been bomb proof since. I'm around 16-17 stone and the bike has been fine for 9 months now. Mind you I don't use it for a long commute but try and get out regularly for exercise.....just did 10 miles and thats enough for me!
I am 10.5 stone and 5 foot 6 and still had one busted spoke on my Powacycle Salisbury in 2500 miles. (I do carry about 10-15 kilos of stuff in panniers). But I have carried all this stuff on my normal push bikes before and never had a broken spoke.

I think it may be also due to e-bikes generally putting more stress on spokes than normal pushbikes rather than the size of the riders..

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Super Bikey

Hi Vicki

Thanks for the 2000 mile review, I am delighted to read you are still enjoying him!

The spoke thing was a problem on a few bikes, however we have found that if the spokes are balanced after the first 100 miles or so the problem is virtually solved. We have recently changed to Alex rims which also seems to have helped, we now only rarely hear of spoke problems.

Have any of the new spokes broken or is it just the originals?

Best regards David

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, David.

As far as I know it's just originals but I can check tonight. One thing I did notice, I examined a few where the pimple had broken off and the first half of the break surface seemed smooth and shiny and the last half looked crystaline. Made me wonder if it was a dodgy batch. Not one has broken at the wheel end.

I'm going to recheck the spokes and see if any of those tight beggars are left. I would have liked to loosen them a bit but they didn't want to budge. I suspect it's those that have gone, which is why I think it may settle down.

Either way, I'm very happy with SB, he's a right little trooper.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Spokes

Hi Vikki

Do you have any of the broken spokes? If so would you be so kind as to send one to me? Norman can have it analysed, fromthe way you describe the breaks it seems that the batch was bad, especially if they are all snapping in the same place.

I will PM my address if you have one.

Best regards David

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I have five - count 'em - five of the little devils. The first one went into the chain and stopped SB straight away, good job I'd only just started off. That wasn't at home so that spoke is languishing in a tip somewhere.

The other one is performing an interesting service in the garden.

The other 5 I will gladly send to you. Send address by email if you would please.

Four spokes are snapped where the pip is and one is broken on the straight.

Best regards.

Vikki.

loubyloo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2008
York
thanks Vikki

thanks Vikki on your update, I keep thinking of buying a wisper and your threads definatly give me confidence, I had a lot of problems with my first e bike and it has made me very wary, just trying to persuade my employer to join the cycle scheme

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm going to recheck the spokes and see if any of those tight beggars are left. I would have liked to loosen them a bit but they didn't want to budge. I suspect it's those that have gone, which is why I think it may settle down.
Some spokes should be much tighter than others as the wheel doesn't go in the middle of the hub, it needs to be offset (dished) because of the gears. All done right the gears fit in and the rim is still in the middle of the bike even though the hub isn't. By loosening some spokes you could be causing a bigger problem, spokes are very strong and if they snap the blame may not rest with the spokes themselves.
This means the spokes on the side of the gears are far tighter, when one breaks it puts extra stress on other spokes and it may be that all the spokes need replacing before they will stop breaking. Anyway Wisper have done a lot of research into the problem so I'm sure Norman will find the answer.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Oddly enough the majority of the broken spokes have been on the gear side. But I'm talking ridiculously tight tight spokes. The majority gave a nice ping but these tight sods went almost ultrasonic, I'm pretty sure that that is too tight. Nothing to do with me, they came like that. I'll be checking this weekend but I bet I find fewer violin string tight spokes.

Update: Just been out back having a quiet ciggy and decided to look at the rim. I can see which spoke is going to go next, it is done up so tight that when I ping it I get surrounded by dogs. It is so tight that it has pulled the hole up where the nipple goes through. I couldn't have done that since I have trouble tightening the skin across a rice pudding :D Others aren't pulled that bad but evidence is there that some holes have been distorted. I guess someone got over enthusiastic when they tightened them.

The wheel, for all its little breakages, is still running true. I keep an eye on that sort of thing.

Last edited: