Wisper 905se City (2008)

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Well, my odometer hit the big 1k today (applause, applause – bows modestly), so I thought I’d do the decent thing and write a review for the benefit of anyone who might be interested…

Pros:

Power control options – there’s a throttle/pedelec combination for every occasion, and it all becomes very intuitive after a while – it will be a sad day if/when throttles are made illegal.

Ride – fast, smooth, and remarkably stable. This bike isn’t what you’d call “nimble”, but is great at taking corners with confidence due to a seemingly low centre of gravity. I’ve found my riding style adapting over time to make best use of the weight, not something I can adequately describe, you’ve just got to find it for yourself.

Tyres – barely showing any wear, and no flats (touch wood). They are, IMHO, a fair compromise between slick speed and good grip.

Frame – solidly built and pleasing to the eye.

Mudguards – light, no rattle, in proportion with the rest of the machine.

Battery – incredibly light for such a large energy capacity, it sits unobtrusively in its slot, so much so that I had to point it out to my friends when I first showed them my new toy. It doesn’t seem to be that noticeably affected by temperature, and no cut outs under load so far.

Motor – nice amount of torque in the mid range, and you really notice the kick when you push the ‘high’ button. The bike isn’t what could be described as a “hill climber” but to be fair it’s not marketed as such. On saying that, however, it does make a pleasing difference on gradients as opposed to a standard bicycle.

Gears – once you’ve got them properly adjusted there’s not much more fiddling to do. They’ve got a good range of ratios, I’ve never used 1st though (but hey – I live in East Anglia).

Cons:

Saddle – Now, call me a hardass, but personally I don’t require a sofa on my bike. I can, however, appreciate that some may. I felt this also somewhat marred the aesthetic appeal of the overall package, so instantly replaced it for a much sleeker WTB model.

V Brakes – spongy and powerless – replaced with “Avid single digit 5”s + “Rim Wrangler 2” blocks (also from Avid), firm braking with a light action. As decent brakes are probably top of the list in terms of a bike’s safety equipment, it puzzles me as to why such a shocking original was chosen, particularly as a much better engineered version really isn’t that expensive (under £15 a pair, and that’s retail).

Computer – suffered interference from the motor – at one point showing my speed as 85mph! Replaced with a Cateye wired version,

Rear Light – never felt confident about its visibility, so replaced with a much brighter Cateye unit.

Handlebar grips – a matter of taste really, but I found them quite old fashioned in style, and pretty hard. Replaced with a cheap set of motorcycle grips, made from softer rubber. I also had the problem of the LH grip slipping, but believe this is now being addressed by Wisper.

The bike is very heavy to ride without power due to its weight. It’s not impossible, but I wouldn’t want to be more than a mile from home if the battery died.

Conclusion

What it may lack in finesse, it more than makes up for in solid reliability, and underlying such niggles as I’ve had, is a great workhorse of a machine. I can honestly say that it has made a significant difference to my lifestyle and has made my regular commute to work a pleasure rather than a chore. I’m somewhat inclined to forgive any inadequacies I’ve found, as e-bikes are still coming out of the shed in terms of mass produced development, and from what’s been reported, the forthcoming Wisper 906 looks very promising indeed. If we’re really going to reduce our environmental impact, rather than just talk about it, then all such developments in personal transport require our encouragement, in my view.