Wisper 905se city 3500 mile review.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Well, it's that time again. Me and SuperBikey have hit the 3500 mile mark and we took 16 month to do it.

So far nothing major or minor has happened. SB has been a star or the first order. He's been reliable and faithful.

Wear is starting to show now but not in anything you wouldn't expect.

BATTERY: No longer shows half full when I get home but nor is it showing signs of flagging. Still seems as strong today as when I first got him (I suspect range might be reduced but since I've never ridden it to full range I'd have no way of knowing. All I care about is the 15 mile weekdaily commute).

TYRES: Rear tyre replaced as I'd worn all the tread off and was down to a green belt. Don't know how I didn't notice it sooner. Front tyre still good with tread on it. Tyres fitted when I bought him were Kenda KWest with Kevlar guard. Only had one puncture in the front and one in the back in 16 months. Plenty of indication in the tyre that the Kevlar saved me from loads of punctures. Inner tube came filled with Slime as well. Don't know if this is still the case. Tyres originally fitted were 26" by 1.25". Narrow puppies and nice.

REAR WHEEL: Looking good and feeling funky.

FRONT WHEEL: Wear indicator has just vanished indicating a new front wheel is due. Shall get and fit that this week and replace front tyre at same time. Not bad for 3500 miles.

Everything else appears in fine fettle. Motor is in good working order as is the running gear.

No electrical problems at all (touch wood). All round - a good, solid purchase.

If I was in the market for another electric it would be a Wisper.

Am I still pleased with my purchase? You betchya sweet fluffy bunnies I am!

Vikki.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
The gears have been no trouble at all, David. Not even had to adjust them.

All told, SB was worth every penny. Considering for the last few months he's been driven flat out (wink-wink) the battery is also remarkably perky. No probs in that department :D

Best regards.

Vikki.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Yep, I pushed the pannier aside and there they were :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks Vicki for such a glowing report after 3500 miles.

How have you found the Alivio gears?

Best regards

David
I have had a decent comparison as I thought the rear mech was faulty and replaced it with a Deore mech, that was after several people told me I would notice a huge difference. I had done about 15000 town miles with the Alivio so lots of gear changes and I was disappointed when I swapped as I didn't notice a difference.
The fault was mine for fitting Suntours* gears that are spaced differently to Shimano, correcting that didn't change my decision about the lack of benefit buying a Deore mech.

* It wasn't a price issue, I chose Suntours as it gives a wider spread between top and bottom gear.