Wisper...better riding position.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...I recently acquired a Whisper eco....I am trying to improve my comfort / riding position.
I'm only small, 5' 7", I would like to lower the saddle height but that is not feasible so i'm thinking to raise the handlebars slightly.

Has anyone changed the bars to get a better position ? or do you just cope with what you've got ?
Has anyone...my height, altered the riding position for better results and how did you do it ?

What about a suspension seat post....is there a really beneficial post ?

cheers....Mike

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Hi...I recently acquired a Whisper eco....I am trying to improve my comfort / riding position.
I'm only small, 5' 7", I would like to lower the saddle height but that is not feasible so i'm thinking to raise the handlebars slightly.

Has anyone changed the bars to get a better position ? or do you just cope with what you've got ?
Has anyone...my height, altered the riding position for better results and how did you do it ?

cheers....Mike

Yes,

I've changed the handle bars to some "Dutch" style sit up and beg. And also the seat post to a longer solid style. I'm not your size, but I found no real problems doing it, it's all standard bike stuff.

I'm not sure if the Eco model has it, but have you tried altering the quick release handlebar stem?

Cheers

Steve

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

cheers....Mike
Do you not have the adjustable handlebars? I thought they were standard on all 905s. :confused:
You should put the saddle at the correct height for your legs, unless you are a woman (due to the shorter legs) that will not be it's lowest setting. You are risking pain and knee injury if you sit too low.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Yes, the ideal I believe is to have your knee just unlocked when the pedal is nearest the ground. This way you get the maximum power/range of movement, without impacting the knee joint. I'd agree that handlebar adjustment is the way to go, all about positioning your weight so it's comfortable, and balancing this against your aerodynamic profile - the more upright you are, the more wind resistance you'll generate.

I should also mention that swapping out the handlebar grips helps a lot with regard to comfort - I use soft rubber motorcycle grips, that cost under a tenner, and made a world of difference.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
....thanks everyone for your input.

Do you not have the adjustable handlebars? I thought they were standard on all 905s. :
My Wisper is a Works 905 ...whatever that means :
It does not have an adjustable handlebar stem but I am wondering if I can change this fixed stem....anyone know ?

....Mike

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Handle bar positions

Hi Mike

I am exactly the same height as you and I have set up my bike to be extremely comfortable, the Eco does not have adjustable handle bars however if you contact Norman at Service@wisperbikes.com he will advise you on whether our adjustable fitting will fit your frame (I can't imagine why it wouldn't). If we have them in stock I am sure Norman will be happy to sell you a set!

All the best David