Wisper Promax disc brake pad replacement

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I've just replaced the pads on my Wisper front disc brake. I have the original Promax front brake. As others have posted, it's not the best brake around but I've always found it to be effective, when properly adjusted. It's the only bike I've ever had with a disc brake so I needed to do a little bit of homework to find out what to do but it is actually pretty easy and the new pads are working well.

The first task was to identify the brake model. Luckily someone on the forum had had confirmation from Dick Lai at Wisper that it was a DSK400.

Next step was to find suitable replacements. I bought these ones from eBay (£6 delivered).

The hard bit was tracking down the Promax web site to get instructions. After a bit of googling I discovered that the Promax brand is owned by a company called Leechi in Taiwan. They actually have a decent site. The pages you need are the DSK400 manual and pictures.

Paraphrasing the instructions, you need to turn the bike over, take the front wheel out, unscrew the brake with an Allen key, fish out the pads, put in the new ones, re-fit and re-adjust.

It took me about 5 minutes, and the brakes are working well!

Frank

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's useful, I'll put a copy and a link in the Wisper clinic later (if it's not already there) so it can be found easily. :)
Shame they are all medium density, I fancy trying different types. Not knowing what comes as standard these may be different, let us know if you feel a difference after they are bedded in.