Review Woosh Rio MTB Review/Initial Impressions

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did you have to push the M5 in a bit before it caught the threads?
yes, the M5 thread is recessed about 3mm from the opening. If you shine the opening with a torch, you can see the thread.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Cheers Tony! :) Have you sen the weather that Ireland is getting today? Me and the Rio will be commuting home through the heart of Hurricane Ophelia later today!

So that should be exciting! :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, I am watching the BBC reportage of it on BBC news right now.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
What am i supposed to do with the battery over winter? Not ridden in about a month and when i was did the battery was 3/4 full. Should I charge it fully or leave it alone? Its in the garage right now

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
3/4 full is perfect for storage up to 3 months,
You may need to rebalance the battery after a long (3 months) rest.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Curious how other members are getting on with their Rios now it has been out about a year?
Mine is now up for sale as surplus to requirements (need garage room for motorbike) but other than that one issue where the controller was replaced promptly under warranty, covered 912 trouble free miles. Not a single puncture in that time either.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
My bike has been absolutely faultless, I've covered about 500 miles since I bought mine and again, not even a puncture in that time.

I still use it every day to commute to and from work. It performed beautifully through all the wet drudgery, rain and snow of the winter so I'm really looking forward to enjoying the bike all through summer this year!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Oh, there is one thing. the little rubber cap that seals the plug to charge the battery has been getting harder and harder to get back in......this morning for the first time I just gave up.....the little bugger simply would not go in no matter what I tried! :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.the little bugger simply would not go in no matter what I tried! :)
can you post a picture? it may have got misshapenned.
Put a tiny drop of oil over it to soften it up a bit.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do yourself a favor and spend more on a Suntour NCX. It doesn't act like a pogo stick under your backside, you won't regret the extra comfort.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Do yourself a favor and spend more on a Suntour NCX. It doesn't act like a pogo stick under your backside, you won't regret the extra comfort.
They are more than twice the price though, I know everyone gives the Suntour great reviews but I just saw the Zoom for £24.99

Does anyone have direct experience of the Zoom suspension post?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are more than twice the price though, I know everyone gives the Suntour great reviews but I just saw the Zoom for £24.99

Does anyone have direct experience of the Zoom suspension post?
Do you want to bounce or do you want to absorb bumps? I have had mine for about 5500 km now which = about 0.01€ / km of ache free comfortable riding. Your choice...

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and D C

KEN OPENSHAW

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
After a lot of research with a more budget price range in mind, I went looking for an ebike, my criteria was as follows
After a lot of research with a more budget price range in mind, I went looking for an ebike, my criteria was as follows:

Must be a hybrid or MTB
Must have a battery capable of 30 miles on one charge
Must be at a max £1200
Must have half decent components suitable mainly for road use

And settled with the Rio MTB.

Ease of assembly:

Very easy. The bike comes in two boxes for added protection. All you need to do is put the front wheel on, pedals, handlebar, mudguards and lights. Then tweak as necessary. I took my time as it's been a while since i've owned a bike but the manual explains it well. Worth double checking all nuts and bolts and follow the separate maintenance manual.

Build quality:

Seems sturdy enough. Again this is initial impressions. Frame seems well built, gears work smoothly, front suspension is great with preload and lockout. I tend to not have it locked out as I use farm tracks and bumpy roads a lot of the time which it helps a lot with. Hydraulic brakes are bedding in nicely and stop the bike with ease, very easy to lock the back wheel. The front brake makes a high pitched high speed clickclickclick noise when engaged however, not sure why as it runs true, might be something to do with the motor cut off.
Paint quality could be better, it chips easily. No creaks or weird noises.

Features:

Easy to see backlit LCD display. Shows speed, two odometers, average speed, journey time. Power ranges from 0-5, I like being able to have 0 assistance but still have the display running. Also shows how much power is going to the motor. I believe there are settings to increase the motor cut off speed but will void your warranty, so maybe do that after a year or leave it alone. Battery will suffer anyway.
Hydraulic disc brakes front and rear.
Bell
Lights front and back, AA batteries, cheap but does the job.
Mudguards, the back one is nice but front is more for show than anything.
USB charging from the battery, lockable battery with 2 keys
Throttle
Push assist

Performance/battery life:

From powers 1-5, 1 hardly helps at all, useful if you're already really fit but then why buy an ebike. I tend to be using powers 2-3 for 90% of my rides. I'm 5ft 11 and 164lb. Worth mentioning I have a rack and heavy lock on the bike adding about 4kg.
I use powers 4-5 only on steep hills and it does fine. It will get me up a steep hill on throttle alone, but it will drop down to 12 or so MPH, will suck the life out of the battery so I always pedal. Yet to be out of breath from a hill.

Battery life, early days but still showing 2 bars left and 29 miles covered. So the bike meets my needs of 30 miles on one charge. Something I was concerned about.

Downsides:

Paint quality
Due to frame design, not much space to add things like bottle holders or a lock mount. Even a frame back isn't really possible because the cross bar is flat and not a tube so most conventional ones will slide all over the place.

Customer service:

Great. My bike came damaged, the wheel had rubbed against the battery casing scraping some paint off. Woosh arranged delivery and collection of a new battery and also sent some stickers to cover one scratch on the frame. They have since added more padding to prevent this from happening to someone else. Quick to answer emails too. The bike was build well with only a minor tweak needed on the gear tension.

Modifications:

Gel seat cover
Slime in tyres
Mobile phone holder
Rack
Bottle and holder (not sure where to put it yet)
Ulock and mount

Quick video demonstrating the bike, towards the end I use the throttle only. The clacking noise you can hear is not the bikes fault, the cheap rack I bought has a vibrating plate on it, need to stick it down somehow. The motor just has a quiet whine really.

Overall very pleased, will update at 50 miles, 100 miles and so on.

View attachment 19526 View attachment 19527 View attachment 19528 View attachment 19529 View attachment 19530 View attachment 19531 View attachment 19532 View attachment 19533 View attachment 19534

Must be a hybrid or MTB
Must have a battery capable of 30 miles on one charge
Must be at a max £1200
Must have half decent components suitable mainly for road use

And settled with the Rio MTB.

Ease of assembly:

Very easy. The bike comes in two boxes for added protection. All you need to do is put the front wheel on, pedals, handlebar, mudguards and lights. Then tweak as necessary. I took my time as it's been a while since i've owned a bike but the manual explains it well. Worth double checking all nuts and bolts and follow the separate maintenance manual.

Build quality:

Seems sturdy enough. Again this is initial impressions. Frame seems well built, gears work smoothly, front suspension is great with preload and lockout. I tend to not have it locked out as I use farm tracks and bumpy roads a lot of the time which it helps a lot with. Hydraulic brakes are bedding in nicely and stop the bike with ease, very easy to lock the back wheel. The front brake makes a high pitched high speed clickclickclick noise when engaged however, not sure why as it runs true, might be something to do with the motor cut off.
Paint quality could be better, it chips easily. No creaks or weird noises.

Features:

Easy to see backlit LCD display. Shows speed, two odometers, average speed, journey time. Power ranges from 0-5, I like being able to have 0 assistance but still have the display running. Also shows how much power is going to the motor. I believe there are settings to increase the motor cut off speed but will void your warranty, so maybe do that after a year or leave it alone. Battery will suffer anyway.
Hydraulic disc brakes front and rear.
Bell
Lights front and back, AA batteries, cheap but does the job.
Mudguards, the back one is nice but front is more for show than anything.
USB charging from the battery, lockable battery with 2 keys
Throttle
Push assist

Performance/battery life:

From powers 1-5, 1 hardly helps at all, useful if you're already really fit but then why buy an ebike. I tend to be using powers 2-3 for 90% of my rides. I'm 5ft 11 and 164lb. Worth mentioning I have a rack and heavy lock on the bike adding about 4kg.
I use powers 4-5 only on steep hills and it does fine. It will get me up a steep hill on throttle alone, but it will drop down to 12 or so MPH, will suck the life out of the battery so I always pedal. Yet to be out of breath from a hill.

Battery life, early days but still showing 2 bars left and 29 miles covered. So the bike meets my needs of 30 miles on one charge. Something I was concerned about.

Downsides:

Paint quality
Due to frame design, not much space to add things like bottle holders or a lock mount. Even a frame back isn't really possible because the cross bar is flat and not a tube so most conventional ones will slide all over the place.

Customer service:

Great. My bike came damaged, the wheel had rubbed against the battery casing scraping some paint off. Woosh arranged delivery and collection of a new battery and also sent some stickers to cover one scratch on the frame. They have since added more padding to prevent this from happening to someone else. Quick to answer emails too. The bike was build well with only a minor tweak needed on the gear tension.

Modifications:

Gel seat cover
Slime in tyres
Mobile phone holder
Rack
Bottle and holder (not sure where to put it yet)
Ulock and mount

Quick video demonstrating the bike, towards the end I use the throttle only. The clacking noise you can hear is not the bikes fault, the cheap rack I bought has a vibrating plate on it, need to stick it down somehow. The motor just has a quiet whine really.

Overall very pleased, will update at 50 miles, 100 miles and so on.

View attachment 19526 View attachment 19527 View attachment 19528 View attachment 19529 View attachment 19530 View attachment 19531 View attachment 19532 View attachment 19533 View attachment 19534

Hi thanks for all,the info on the Rio...think I may be to heavy for it ..the top frame tube looks a bit thin ..I’m 16st ! Is the carrier a woosh supplied one ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi thanks for all,the info on the Rio...think I may be to heavy for it ..the top frame tube looks a bit thin ..I’m 16st ! Is the carrier a woosh supplied one ?
This rack is the one we supply and fit:

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.think I may be to heavy for it ..the top frame tube looks a bit thin .
the bike is fine for 16st, height wise, I would recommend for riders up to 6ft. Over 6ft, the Oxygen may be better.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the rack (supplied and fit) costs £25. You can choose any rack you want, plenty to choose from on amazon and ebay, but if you want to have a high load pannier rack, you will need a new seat post clamp with rack mount, this is because the frame does not have threads for the rack arms.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrager-eyeleted-seatpost-clamp-EV159295

• Informative

Related Articles

Advertisers