Review Woosh Rio MTB Review/Initial Impressions

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Amazing - thanks as always for your help!

The link for the tyres takes you to 700, I'm assuming it's the 26" equivalent?

Any hints on the throttle controller not working when adjusted round slightly?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/26-x-135-inch-35559-schwalbe-marathon-plus-hs440-tyre-26-inch-559/

those above don't have reflective band but otherwise just as good and a little cheaper too.
I usually buy a few at a time from Rose bikes to save on postage.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-clincher-tyre-718649?product_shape=black

No, all I can think of is somehow the cable from the thumb throttle may be strained/pulled.
The throttle needs to be activated by pedaling for a second first. Once activated, it will remain active until the motor cuts out. You have to pedal a little again to re-activate it.
If you still think that moving the throttle stops it from working, move the grip, left brake lever and LCD a little to the left out of the way first before moving the throttle to the right.
You may find out what causes it.

bom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2019
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/26-x-135-inch-35559-schwalbe-marathon-plus-hs440-tyre-26-inch-559/

those above don't have reflective band but otherwise just as good and a little cheaper too.
I usually buy a few at a time from Rose bikes to save on postage.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-clincher-tyre-718649?product_shape=black

No, all I can think of is somehow the cable from the thumb throttle may be strained/pulled.
The throttle needs to be activated by pedaling for a second first. Once activated, it will remain active until the motor cuts out. You have to pedal a little again to re-activate it.
If you still think that moving the throttle stops it from working, move the grip, left brake lever and LCD a little to the left out of the way first before moving the throttle to the right.
You may find out what causes it.

Thank you!

Does it make much difference which width I go for? I notice there are options between 1.35 and 2 inches?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thank you!

Does it make much difference which width I go for? I notice there are options between 1.35 and 2 inches?
I prefer 26 x 2.0, better for potholes.

bom

Apr 24, 2019
First day commuting to work today which was exciting!

Sadly I kept getting an "Error 30" displaying, combined with it registering 0 on the speedo afterwards.

Any ideas what this could be?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

scotjimland

Jul 5, 2020
I am very sorry about this, the USB port on the battery is not connected.
The online manual has been updated accordingly.
Just bought a Rio and expecting delivery tomorrow , is the usb socket still not connected ?? if not that is very disappointing ..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am on holiday at the moment - will ask Andy to check it for you.

scotjimland

Jul 5, 2020
ok, thanks.. will soon find out, will be delivered today, but it seems odd that Woosh advertise a feature that doesn't work, it's clearly pointed out in the Rio pictures with a big arrow. It's. like saying it has a nice bell but it doesn't ring or lights that don't work.. I've read all the Rio manual and can find no reference to it.

scotjimland

Jul 5, 2020
I can now confirm that there is definitely no output from the USB socket, which is rather disappointing ..

I don't understand why it is shown on the Rio pictures on your website saying that there is.. it's not a big deal but it would have been great if it was working.

Other than that I am highly delighted with the bike.. will give a ful review once I have a few miles on the clock ..

James

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Andy confirmed that the USB port is not connected.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks for reply,

I'm puzzled why this feature is clearly pointed out on photo of the bike, also puzzled why the battery manufacturer fits a usb socket but doesn't connect it..
I don't want to disappoint you, but I'd take ant bet that the forks aren't tapered too.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm puzzled why this feature is clearly pointed out on photo of the bike, also puzzled why the battery manufacturer fits a usb socket but doesn't connect it..
the Dorado battery case has provision for a USB socket but the battery factory did not use a BMS with USB output.

Reactions: scotjimland

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't want to disappoint you, but I'd take ant bet that the forks aren't tapered too.
it's only a detail but the RST Omega fork is tapered.
You can see the shape change at the base of the head tube. It's much wider at the base than at the top.

Edit:
after the USB port, I have to check to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotjimland

scotjimland

Jul 5, 2020
the Dorado battery case has provision for a USB socket but the battery factory did not use a BMS with USB output.
fair enough, but should this should not be pointed out in the bike description .. it's misleading to say it has a usb outlet without saying it's not connected .. reading the thread, Woosh have known about this for some time .. Not doing so also affects the reputation on the company and leads seeds of doubt being sown.

Related Articles

Advertisers