Woosh Scirocco noisy

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Hello my husband has a woosh scirocco it started to make a whining noise when he took it out a few weeks ago but when going out today it got really bad & he said he had a lot of drag on the bike he was pedalling & struggling to get the bike to go up a hill that he's been up loads of times. I was with him on my whisper with no problem at all. He said it seemed as if his motor wasn't working as it should. He turned the motor off but it still whined
Any suggestions before he rips it apart
Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Before starting on the motor, check the simple things, like the brakes aren't binding or the tyre rubbing on something. if it's definitely the motor, you'll have to open it up to see what's wrong. You can get spare parts for most motors.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Dona,

If you make a video of the noise, we may be able to tell.
Check the following anyway:
1. Spin the rear wheel forward. It should spin freely. No noise other than the clicking in the freewheel.
2. Turn the rear wheel backward. The clutch should engage, you should feel a bit of resistance but not to difficult to turn.
3. Lift the rear wheel, turn the throttle to start the motor. It should spin. Does it make a different noise to normal motor noise?

We'll go back to work on Tuesday. If you need to contact support, please email support@wooshbikes.co.uk

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hello my husband has a woosh scirocco it started to make a whining noise when he took it out
Thanks
Sounds like a Brexitier.

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Hello Dona,

If you make a video of the noise, we may be able to tell.
Check the following anyway:
1. Spin the rear wheel forward. It should spin freely. No noise other than the clicking in the freewheel.
2. Turn the rear wheel backward. The clutch should engage, you should feel a bit of resistance but not to difficult to turn.
3. Lift the rear wheel, turn the throttle to start the motor. It should spin. Does it make a different noise to normal motor noise?

We'll go back to work on Tuesday. If you need to contact support, please email support@wooshbikes.co.uk

Hi so due to a knee injury my husband could not use his bike so we just maintained it by using it a very little once a week & charged battery regularly to stop battery dying today he was able to use it again to its full potential, Hes established that the whinnig noise stops when he applies the brakes but has said he don't feel the brakes are that good

I have managed to find the details on the original sale details of the bike as it was 2nd hand
could any of the modifications that the bike had be causing the issue

here's the modifications

It's standard apart from a rear rack, front / rear mudguards, and Avid disc brakes front and rear.

As a commercial engineer i'm sure he'd like to take the bike apart but I have said no to that, I don't fancy having bike parts all over my dining room

He said he thinks the brakes definitely need replacing would you suggest just changing the discs or something else

Any advice much appreciated

one thing to note he is extremely pleased with how well the battery has held its charge considering its hardly done any mileage in 2 years he thought it might have killed the battery

Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Donna,

Check first if one of the brake pads touches the rotor.
If your husband wants to replace the brakes, choose something like this to replace with, they cost about £10 and are widely available at any local bike shop including Halfords:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If his disc brakes aren't working properly, find out how to set them up properly and adjust them. there are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do that. First, you have you have to determine whether you have cable or hydraulic ones as the setup procedure is different.

If you have cable disc brakes, whatever you do don't spend any money on changing anything other than an upgrade to hydraulic brakes. hydraulic brakes don't cost much and are not only a million times better in their ability to control your braking, but they're set-and-forget, i.e. they don't need constant adjustment. Once setup, no further adjustment is needed.

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
If his disc brakes aren't working properly, find out how to set them up properly and adjust them. there are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do that. First, you have you have to determine whether you have cable or hydraulic ones as the setup procedure is different.

If you have cable disc brakes, whatever you do don't spend any money on changing anything other than an upgrade to hydraulic brakes. hydraulic brakes don't cost much and are not only a million times better in their ability to control your braking, but they're set-and-forget, i.e. they don't need constant adjustment. Once setup, no further adjustment is needed.

Husband thinks his is cable so where would he get an hydraulic conversion for it, Hes going to check settings before he looks at replacing them but if hes going to replace he thinks he would like to upgrade

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Husband thinks his is cable so where would he get an hydraulic conversion for it, Hes going to check settings before he looks at replacing them but if hes going to replace he thinks he would like to upgrade

Thanks
Loads on Ebay - new and used.
If you choose one with the hose length the same as your cable length, it's a very easy swap. You only need the lever, hose and caliper, which come as a ready assembled unit. you don't need a new disc nor the caliper adapter, but you do need to make sure that the caliper mounts in the same direction (post vs side mount) otherwise you have to buy the caliper adapter too.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Thanks
the Clarke cable operated brakes lets you keep the sensored brake levers. If your husband upgrade the brakes to hydraulic, he should also fit hydraulic brake sensors to stop the motor overrun when you turn or slow down.

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
I fitted the avid bb7 cable brakes to my Scirocco and they are excellent, a huge improvement on the original Tektro brakes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I would never recommend upgrading cable brakes with cable brakes. Hydraulic brakes are hardly any more expensive than BB7s, and they're loads better in performance, serviceability and reliability.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would never recommend upgrading cable brakes with cable brakes. Hydraulic brakes are hardly any more expensive than BB7s, and they're loads better in performance, serviceability and reliability.
the Sirocco needs brake cutout switches.
It's not kind to the motor and the brake pads if you don't fit them.
BB5 and BB7 are good. The efficiency of the brakes is proportional to the pads surface. Brakes with larger pads (Avid BB7 uses larger rectangular pads) are better than those that use round pads (like Avid BB5).
As far as I know, Woosh is the only stockist of sensored hydraulic brakes, and they cost more than double normal hydraulic brakes.

Advertisers