Yamaha Battery/Charger Problem

Eroom1955

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2020
That's difficult, I have 3 complete plugs and sockets which I bought for another project which was cancelled. I live in Maidenhead Berkshire and anyone in this area can have a set free and one day if I can't find a home for them they will go in the recycle bin

Attachments

Cosas

Jun 16, 2020
Hi friends,

I just registered and want to end your nightmares with Yamaha plug system. I´m located in Germany and have all parts to replace broken plugs. Unfortunately I can not ship the charger plug for self mounting because it needs spezial tools.

In those cases you have to ship the charger. The male part in the battery can be shipped for self installation.

Further on I can make your battery work again if you ran into the AFE fault (F & E LED flashing). In those cases I have to remove the whole electronic and install my designed board. All functions on the display work as before and also the LEDs in the battery are showing the status. For charging you need a new 3Amp. charger which is included in the repair.

After it you will never have problems like before and your bike and battery works as normal.

For more information, send me a privat message.

Regards

Cosas

Last edited:

nielsw64

Just Joined
Sep 25, 2020
Hi friends,

I just registered and want to end your nightmares with Yamaha plug system. I´m located in Germany and have all parts to replace broken plugs. Unfortunately I can not ship the charger plug for self mounting because it needs spezial tools.

In those cases you have to ship the charger. The male part in the battery can be shipped for self installation.

View attachment 36211

Further on I can make your battery work again if you ran into the AFE fault (F & E LED flashing). In those cases I have to remove the whole electronic and install my designed board. All functions on the display work as before and also the LEDs in the battery are showing the status. For charging you need a new 3Amp. charger which is included in the repair.

After it you will never have problems like before and your bike and battery works as normal.

For more information, send me a privat message.

Regards

Cosas

nielsw64

Just Joined
Sep 25, 2020
Hi. I have broken one of the pins in the battery (, and can not charge. I would like to replace it to avoid buying a new battery. Can you ship a male part to me in Norway?

nielsw64

Just Joined
Sep 25, 2020
Hi again. Just an update. Today I finally got to fix my broken charger contact on my Yamaha batteri. Thanks to Cosas who sent me a new contact from Germany (recommended), and my local electro shop manager, who changed it for me. everything works perfect. Total costs 60Euros.

Reactions: georgehenry

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
Hi all... I had the same issue with my Yamaha battery male connector and have just fitted the new part (thanks to Cosas) ... fitting was very easy and literally plug & play ... however I don't have the play bit as I do not have any charging... the green light on the charger does not come on at all.

My problem was one broken pin on the male (battery) end (the plastic surround broke previously as per others) ... the broken pin could be seen on the connector laying flat so was not stuck in the female charger connector.

The charger was previously working fine ... just had to be careful connecting to the exposed male pins. First time it wouldn't charge is when I noticed the broken pin.

I've checked the plug fuse for the charger and it is OK.

On advice from Cosas... I've checked resistance between the yellow wire in the charger and blue on the battery connector... all seems OK there and all wires appear OK on both connectors.

Any ideas ?

Cosas

Jun 16, 2020
What are the LEDs showing when you push the button on your battery?

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
What are the LEDs showing when you push the button on your battery?
Hi Cosas...

LED flashes when pressed (flashes 5 times I think) ... only one LED as the battery is low.

If held down it eventually goes solid for a bit ... then eventually all LEDs flash I think. (or come on)

If I stick battery back on the bike it works as normal.

Just if connecting to the charger there is nothing and no green light on charger.

Cosas

Jun 16, 2020
When 1 LED is flashing fast, the battery might be at too low voltage. Then the charger does not start.
Measure both outside position contacts on the battery motor connector and tell me the voltage.
Dont touch the middle data line contact.

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
When 1 LED is flashing fast, the battery might be at too low voltage. Then the charger does not start.
Measure both outside position contacts on the battery motor connector and tell me the voltage.
Thanks Cosas... I will do that tomorrow and let you know.

battery being too low did cross my mind but surely the battery should still charge if you run it down completely ?

Cosas

Jun 16, 2020
When discharge level is too low, the charger does not start. The limit is arround 30V.

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
When discharge level is too low, the charger does not start. The limit is arround 30V.
sorry to ask the obvious ... but how do you then charge the battery ?

wouldn't that happen if you fully ran it down on a ride ?... my battery will still power the bike as normal with one flashing light on the controller LED.

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
sorry to ask the obvious ... but how do you then charge the battery ?

wouldn't that happen if you fully ran it down on a ride ?... my battery will still power the bike as normal with one flashing light on the controller LED.
If you run a battery down on a ride the BMS (battery management system) will prevent it's running completely down. To protect the battery it will cut off the motor while there is still some juice left in the battery.

If you just leave a battery uncharged for a time, the slow internal discharge will take it below that safe point and there is nothing the BMS can do to help.

Once the battery is very low there are special chargers that can try to recover, or open up the battery and charge individual cell groups side-tracking the BMS. (Wait for someone else to comment on the details of safe ways to do that before you try it.)

Reactions: Alfasean

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
good to know, thanks.

that said... the battery will still currently power the bike as normal so nothing has cut it off yet when in use.

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the help again Cosas...

Ok so I measured the outside contacts on the battery and I get 33.7.

When the battery button is pressed the 1st light flashes 1 time per second for 5 seconds.

If I hold the button down after around 20 seconds the same light comes on solid for around 5 seconds.

After another 10 seconds or so all lights come on for around 5 seconds.

If the battery is connected to the bike... the bike will ride powered like normal... the display shows one flashing bar.

When the charger is connected to the battery there are no lights on battery or charger.

Yellow charger wire and blue battery connector wire do have resistance.

Alfasean

Sep 28, 2015
Ok folks... so I'm pleased to report it looks like the problem is solved... though I am not clear exactly what it was.

I was told it would not be the charger but running out of options I opened it up anyway and saw one fuse... I nudged another fuse up against it (the universe didn't implode), connected the battery and hey presto all lights come on and the battery was charging for the fist time in weeks.

So I thought that it was that fuse... but I then switched off, removed the bridge on the fuse and switched back on ... and it is still working again. So without the fuse being bridged nothing is different other than I have opened up the charger. Pleased I did.

I will not argue with this... it's a result so happy days.

New bike in 2 weeks too so the old Haibike will be a good spare for friends as planned.

Thanks for the help all.

Reactions: georgehenry

Advertisers