"Your Freedom" de-restrict e-bikes

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
You can go at 20mph if you wish - there's no legal speed limit on e-bikes at all, just on where the power cuts out.

If you want to go faster, there are plenty of electric bikes/ scooters that will do it, you just need helmet, insurance etc like any other motorcyle.

A 20mph limit doesn't mean you have to go 20mph, it just means that is the maximum.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Speed limits mean nothing to car drivers, unless there's a camera to catch them! I've seen them do what must be 100 mph up my 30 mph street, and that's just the police, of course the laws of physics don't apply to police cars, so that's ok!

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I wouldn't waste time on the silly Your Freedom site. The coalition already know what they intend to do. This site will be a device to enable them to cherry pick those ideas they already support and claim they have popular backing. Interesting to see that the top rated ideas on the site are to deregulate cannabis. There is clearly massive popular support for this but it ain't going to happen.

Their moderation policy includes this:

Please also ensure that your ideas and comments:

don’t break the law – this includes libel, condoning illegal activity, and breaking copyright

So you aren't allowed to suggest changing any law already in force because that would suggest you condone breaking that law! Or, for example, are we to believe that people who support abolishing of speed cameras never actually speed themselves.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
This site will be a device to enable them to cherry pick those ideas they already support and claim they have popular backing.
Yes like bringing back hanging:rolleyes:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I don't think the ebike laws are on the coalition's radar. Shame as I too would like 20 zones and be able to travel at the same speed as the traffic - much safer.

....Or, for example, are we to believe that people who support abolishing of speed cameras never actually speed themselves.
An interesting idea that. The whole speed campera project has been good for speeders, so why would they want a change of policy? The policy was just a way of saving money on the expensive traffic police units while at the same time giving the impression something is being done. We all know where the cameras are and it is open season on the roads with none (and residential roads are the worst in this respect). Cameras only catch the dopey ones and while that is a good thing the dopey are usually the ones supporting the cameras AND are the most indignant about being caught.

I am always amazed at the 80-85% who routinely flout the law, especially in town, so who exactly is supporting the cameras? Personally I think being a hypocrite is worse. Just one example where the law is seldom as simple as you think.