ZeSven's hunt for ze ebike (swedish girls inside!)

ZeSven

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2014
Hi lads! New guy from Sweden here ready to take a plunge on a entry level electric and looking for some advice. There's mainly four options I've been oogling and I've tried to do as much research as possible but I'm having a difficult time weighing the pros and cons and that's where you clever blokes hopefully can be of help. Lets get to it...

Option 1 is on top of my list at the moment. It's from a china maker called Apollo/Orion which is known for it's cheap, relatively good quality dirt bikes and things of that nature. It's fairly inexpensive (100 SEK ~ 9 GBP) so will allow me to fit it with a set of Schwalbe Big Bens and some extras of my choice. I've gathered the motor is a Bafang but according to the seller it's unmarked so if someone could identify it it'd be great. Also curious if you can swap the standard LED panel for a LCD one, and if this will allow me to "tune" the engine with speed settings etc? And will the 26 inch wheels equate to less stress on the small engine in terms of torque? Lastly I'm sceptic about the battery. I can find replacements for it locally but there's not a lot of import options and more importantly no Samsung or Panasonic ones as far as I can tell. Is this a deal breaker or..?

link

Option 2 has a japan/china Dapu front hub. The name reads like a bad omen but other than that it's a standard china kit with the more common rear rack battery pack. I'm wondering if the LCD panel will allow me to change the speed to more than 15 mph? And how much of a trade off it is going with a front hub compared to a rear hub in a small 250w motor such as this? Will the rear rack placement of the battery be noticable in the balance of the bike?

link

Option 3 is from a danish company called Promovec. Same china kit except they have a "unique" 2 speed Multigear front hub (I'm assuming it's the new XiongDa 2-speed?), Sony battery cells(?), LCD and six assist levels rather than the standard three. It's significantly more expensive than the other two so I'd need it to be significantly better in order to go for it since I'm on disability pension and juggling the purchase with everyday needs such as cocaine and prostitutes (just kidding... I don't do coke). If the other two works just as well only a bit more rough and slightly less efficient it's not worth it to me but if it's the difference between purchasing something poor and purchasing something acceptable I can make room for it in my budget.

link

Option 4 is from german Kreidler and comes fitted with a Bosch Classic mid-drive system, Schwalbe Energizers, (I think) the Bosch Powerpack 300 with 300 Wh etc. Seems like a great kit but it's again a cost vs benefit issue. The Bosch batteries costs quite a bit more than the china flavored Samsung/Panasonic packs as well, nearly twice as much, so this would also be the most expensive long term option I reckon?

link

Finally I'd love to hear some hands on experiences from the sick and/or elderly (I'm thirty something fyi). I wont bog you down with the grit and grime of my medical history but lets just say I get very easily fatigued from simple walking so it would be nice to hear from someone who shares that experience and thoughts on what the ebike has done for them and what it could do (or not do) for me and so on. I can keep a good pace spinning but any more than that for longer periods of time and I'm treading water. My hopes are the ebike will give me that spinning like experience and just enough push to help me get up the slopes without having to take a nap afterwards, hah.

And if you've made it this far I suppose you deserve a treat. My computer wont accept the meatballs and the pesky swedish girls are not fond of getting stuffed into boxes (removing the airholes helps some but) so please treat yourselves to this acoustic UK performance from swedish angels First Aid Kit.

That's about it. Hope I didn't flood you with too much information and apologies for the english. Any input big and small would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

/ZeSven

D

Deleted member 4366

If you get easily fatigued, forget the Bosch motor. It's probably more powerful, but you can't take a rest from pedalling, and you have to pedal moderately hard to go up hills.

The speed of a hub-motored bike depends on its windings. Without knowing its winding speed, it's not possible to say whether you can make it go faster. Most seem to have a no-load speed of about 30km/h. If it's restricted to 25km/hr, there's normally something you can do to derestrict it, but I wouldn't expect too much extra. Even if it's restricted in the controller software, you can get a really nice unrestricted replacement controller with LCD for about £50.

To change the LED panel to an LCD one in the first bike, you'll probably have to buy the £50 controller.

The two-speed motor is very interesting. I'm still evaluating one. The climbing power is very good, but slow. It'll do about 32km/h in high speed setting and 16km/hr in low speed. Like the other bikes, at 15 amps it has enough power if you're light, but if you're over 90kg, you can solder the shunt in the controller to increase the torque. I run mine at 20 amps, which is great for my 100kg. Mine is a bit noisy. I quietened it down a lot by re-greasing the gears in the motor.

The Dapu motor is better quality than the Bafang, but it doesn't have any more power. If they fitted a Dapu motor, the rest of the bike is probably good quality too.

Reactions: ZeSven

ZeSven

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2014
Brilliant man. You saved me from a potential nightmare with the Bosch kit. That's just the type of advice I was looking for. Many thanks, mate. :)

Soldering and swapping controllers is not beyond me but with such a small gain in speed, yeah it's probably not worth the effort as you say. I'm 83 kg so not on the heavier side but not on the lighter side either. A few miles/kms here and there... comme ci comme sa.

I'm incredibly tempted (itching!) to do a sleek XiongDa/SRAM Automatix/2.35 conversion, but as it stands I've got to focus on getting out and about and building up my strength first. It's very easy to get sucked in once you start dabbling in pedelecs however, I've had to talk my way out of buying a kit several times just so I wouldn't spend the summer waiting for packages etc. But I will build my monster in time... and it will live.....

You've pretty much got me sorted with your knowledge dropping but if you don't mind one more sweep should do the trick and firmly push me over the edge.

I'm leaning towards option 2 with the Dapu hub now but it gets a bit slippery around these parts come winter time so a rear hub might serve my usage better? Or is it better with all-wheel drive? I've heard a few different opinions on the topic but from what I've seen I reckon yours is about as good and final as it gets.

Any thoughts on the square profile battery in option 1? Could it be a chore finding a good quality one if my local supplier runs out of stock? Any ideas on what type of Bafang hub it's fitted with?

And if you had to put a value on the 2-speed functionality of the XiongDa, would you say it's worth an extra £350-£600 or "interesting and usable but largely indifferent in the grander scheme of £££"?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Xiongda kit is very cheap. There's no reason why it should be more expensive, other than the shop might have more warranty issues to deal with.

With these lower powered motors, it makes little difference whether you have a front or rear one.

Reactions: ZeSven

ZeSven

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2014
Ok that settles it then. Dapu it is.

Thanks a ton for the help, I really appreciate it.