Oxygen emate 3 months later....

Pete666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2015
Phil, Mine came from the dealer (Oxygen) complete with stand - and it is very necessary. Closeups of my rack set up attached, let me know if you need more - note the rack was also fitted by the dealer for free!. The bags are from Lidl - not great but cheap. I only have front brake cut out - no wires from back brake lever.

Collected my Oxygen MTB on Monday night from Absolute Bikes and had a cracking first ride on it last night (was tipping it down Monday night..:()

I'll have to check my brake levers later and report back. I think both levers cut the power..but there's definitely a cut-out wire coming from both.

Can I ask what kickstands people have fitted to these bikes..? Ricoghardforth's stand in his photo looks pretty sturdy. I like the look of the Pletchsher double stand where both legs park to the side under the chainstay..neat solution. Anybody use one of these and is it likely to fit the Oxy MTB..?
Looking at racks, I notice Pete666 has fitted a 'normal' rack but as there's no threaded lugs on the rear frame drop-outs how did you fit that Pete ? Can you post some close-up photos of your fixing points please. Also which make of rack is that and is it a disc brake specific model..?
I'll post some of my own photos once I've made some changes and observations on the bike after a few more rides.

Attachments

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
I love the look of these..on a shortlist for next bike. can anyone advise how the 19" frame would be for fairly tall person..6'1" and 33" instep. Also are the forks and the rear hub motor suitable for light to moderate off roading. I can do trails on my cyclotricity revolver but possibly fancy something that will handle slightly harder going.One more question can the speed level be altered both up and down ?

Pete666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2015
Elec: I'm 6', 33 inside leg, I think all E-Mates are 27.5 wheels. The bike does feel big to me but probably because my previous was too small. Plenty of adjustment on the saddle post. The forks seem fine for off-roading and they have a lockout facility. In fact it just glides over medium rough stuff. The C of G is slightly high but you soon get used to a slightly different style of riding. The hub motor combined with the 27 gears and thumb throttle offer an infinite number of power variations and with the power off, on the flat or shallow gradients, it's a regular MTB. With a good bit of power on (say setting 4 out of the 6 settings) and rough going you have to concentrate and ride it or it will get ahead of you but the brakes are excellent and it makes for some exhilarating riding. Yes max speed is adjustable + and -.

I love the look of these..on a shortlist for next bike. can anyone advise how the 19" frame would be for fairly tall person..6'1" and 33" instep. Also are the forks and the rear hub motor suitable for light to moderate off roading. I can do trails on my cyclotricity revolver but possibly fancy something that will handle slightly harder going.One more question can the speed level be altered both up and down ?

Reactions: electrickery
D

Deleted member 4366

The motor maxes out at about 26 mph. 24 mph is a realistic on the road speed. You can set it to any speed up to and beyond that, but, obviously, if you set it beyond that, you won't get the set speed.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Thanks for the info guys...it does sound the business. Not looking for high speed particularly but I like to cruise my revolver at 18 mph when conditions suit.My local dealer (Linlithgow) doesn't have one in stock but offered me a short test on the full suspension batribike storm. Was really comfy to ride with 21" frame and full suspension. A slightly larger battery would maybe have sucked me in.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Ric, Where did you get the rack and bag? How much?
Thxs.
Topeak mtx beam rack with mtx DPM truck bag with additional side frame and mudgaurd £53 for the bag Amazon. £31 rack +£17 for side frames chain. Reaction cycles. £4 mudgard evans. Not cheap I know but I got the bag and a cheaper compatible rack for £19 but it wouldn't fit so had to go with the beam rack. It does make it really easy to drop off the rack at weekends when I don't want it though.

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Phil, Mine came from the dealer (Oxygen) complete with stand - and it is very necessary. Closeups of my rack set up attached, let me know if you need more - note the rack was also fitted by the dealer for free!. The bags are from Lidl - not great but cheap. I only have front brake cut out - no wires from back brake lever.
Hi Pete.

Thanks for your reply and photos. I've only just seen them and not sure why I didn't get an email alert as I am watching this thread...
Anyway John from Oxygen sent me a stand as mine should have come with one too, and it is an essential bit of kit as you say.
Good of Oxygen to throw in the rack for you, and good to see a normal one should fit. On closer inspection of the rear dropouts, the holes are indeed threaded to mount a rack so I've ordered a Topeak Tourist DX rack that should fit ok hopefully. I like that Ric's solution is easy to remove from the bike but prefer the security of a traditional rack and the extra weight it allows. Hopefully it'll fit over the Beavertail xl rear guard..
That's a nice MTX trunk bag Ric..have you used it fully loaded, panniers and all...and how does the bike ride with it on..?

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I ordered the Topeak Tourist DX but the F/Disc version and couldn't get the bottom larger square stand off connection points to locate on any of the threaded mounting holes so sent it back and got the seat post mounted beam rack instead.

Hopefully your getting the standard one and will have more luck.

I've only had it filled up once with both side panniers dropped down with the side frames fitted but it really wasn't a heavy load just bulky so it didn't effect handling that much.
Usually I just use it as a trunk bag and manage to squeeze every thing for my commute with the side panniers folded up. I actually removed the side frames and keep them at work just in case I need to drop the panniers down and take some larger items home.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks Ric but I've ordered the standard version (with the spring) as I've already got the disc version of the rack on my Ezee conversion and having measured the width between the Oxygen's mounting points I realised I didn't need the extra clearance of those wide stand-offs, They also make the rack look too wide from behind as well imo...
Hmm...I'm tempted by the bag but will sleep on it..:confused:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi everyone, I am new to the site and nearly bought the Oxygen Mountain Bike after owning an emate city and being very happy with it. I bought the Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL 2015 YamahaI instead which is working well for my 13 mile mostly off road commute to work with a 10 mile hilly B Road return home journey. I have a rack attached to that and carry quite a bit of stuff in two Ortlieb panniers. One thing I would highly recommend having used a rack off road on both my electric bikes is to replace the fixing bolts with the strongest ones you can source. You should be able to find much stronger ones than those that come with the rack. This should avoid the bolts shearing through stress over time. I have never had a rack fail but the attaching bolts can be a weak point. It is a real pain to get the remains of a sheared bolt out of the threaded hole.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Any one still have and using their Oxygen Emate MTB 2015. I'm got mine 8 years ago and i'm still using mine occasionally in the summer for my 13 mile commute. Its still on all original components and battery. I would say the battery has maybe lost more than 1/3 of its range and I tend to charge up again fully while at work to make sure I can get home. It really needs a proper service and probably new chain, gears and cassette as its very noisy in some gears and slips in others under hard pedaling. Not sure on the mileage as the odo keeps resetting guess anywhere between 1500-2000 miles.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
ricoghardforth, I am sure there is no reason why a 2015 Oxygen Emate MTB might not have survived, like yours, however I fear some discard them rather than fix them, which is a shame, as they are more easily fixed than the purpose built ones with defeat software.

I still have my Emate city road bike dating from 2011, and have bought another second hand Emate City of a similar age for just £100 to keep it company! They are both still in very good working order and get used regularly. My original Emate is about to begin work as a commuting vehicle again, carrying my daughter to her new job about six miles away from home.

As I said I was tempted to buy an Oxygen mountain bike back in 2015 when I wanted to commute to work using a mostly off road route. It might have been great but I will never know as I bought instead a Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL 2015 Yamaha , which is still working very well, using its original battery and will be eight years old in March. However it has done a relatively enormous mileage, currently standing at 17,828 miles. Luckily I have been able to fix the relatively few things that have gone wrong.

If I were you I would treat your bike to a good service with potentially new chain ring, rear cassette and chain. t will feel a lot nicer.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Looks like South Yorkshire Electric Bike company in Rotherham where I got it from have gone caput. Do I take it to a local bike shop or do I need someone who specializes with e-bikes. Can any one recomend anywhere in South Yorkshire.
I Keep looking to see on ebay if a Oxygen Emate MTB 2015 come up for sale hopefully cheap with a duff battery which I can then have a go at recelling myself. Then if successful do the battery on mine and then have one set up for actual MTBing instead of road commuting. With two battery's I c an change between the two.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Finding a bike shop that will work on electric bikes can be difficult.

Ideally you might go to a bike shop with a service department that sells geared rear hub motored electric bikes.

If this is not possible look for a good independent bike shop and have a chat with them.

However, putting a new cassette on, chain and chain ring is reasonably straight forward for most bike shops. They do need to be careful to take a note of how the spacers are arranged when removing the back wheel so that they put it back with all the spacers in the right place. Also to be careful where the main electrical cable exits from the axle and also that it is the right way up when they put the wheel back so that water cannot find its way into the motor. Basically the cable needs to be pointing downwards so that any water cannot run along the cable into the motor.

I think Woosh bikes have contacts with bike shops across the country to help any of their buyers who might prefer a bike shop to put their mail order bike together, and I am sure would let you know the shop they recommend closest to where you live.

I also think that Oxygen themselves were based in Yorkshire, but have gone through a change in ownership so do not know how good their after sales service is now. It used to be very good. When I bought my second hand Oxygen Emate City I dealt with a very helpful person called Dale, but I think not long afterwards the company changed hands.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The worst bit about LBS who don't work on rear hub bikes is the chance of damaging the motor cable if they aren't careful or aligning the two ends correctly.
Most thata sell mid drive will look at hub bikes as inferior and won't work on them, most have no idea how easy and relaxing hub bike sare because they are simply biased and will have never use done for very long periods of use or time.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Take pictures closeup of the cable and axle washers and spacers before anyone fiddles! Marking/labelling them would be even better.