Hub gears for my bike

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
As mac user mentions, the Rohloff oil does cost, as you need both Rinsing Oil and Hub oil.

I bought two of 1lt Rinsing oil tins and one of the 1lt Hub oil tins, total cost back in 2004 was £50 and will in theory give 40 years worth of oil changes for the Rohloff, only done 11 oil changes so far, so just another 29 years to go!

If your going for a Rohloff, don't bother with the little 25ml bottles of oil, they don't do the 1lt tins anymore, they have now moved onto plastic containers, think you can get 250ml, 750ml and 1lt, although prices are now around £100 for the 1lt container, still much better value than the 25ml bottles.
I have 3 Alfine bikes, so bought a 1 litre tin (even more expensive) and it will probably be part of my estate. But isn't that what pedelecs is for; splitting up litre tins into single changes and selling to members at cost?

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Thanks for the information Rob, I hadn't come across the Sturmey version and didn't know SRAM had ceased making the DD3.
First few miles were perfect, just as I thought it would work out. Actually the 3 IGH can be changed at reasonable pace also, but I refrained. I however was useless, moving from single 14 speed twist shift to 2 x triggers needs a little time. Interesting that although no motor settings were changed on the BBS02, pedalling backwards is now making the motor jump forward on the sensors, assume this is a different issue, I'll look it up.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
First few miles were perfect, just as I thought it would work out. Actually the 3 IGH can be changed at reasonable pace also, but I refrained. I however was useless, moving from single 14 speed twist shift to 2 x triggers needs a little time. Interesting that although no motor settings were changed on the BBS02, pedalling backwards is now making the motor jump forward on the sensors, assume this is a different issue, I'll look it up.
Very interesting! I had that issue with the controller from an 09 battery and the GSM. It is the controller not reading the direction the pedal is turning, strange that the Bafang one does that (less strange that an external controller doesn't understand the weird internal PAS of these motors).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
moving from single 14 speed twist shift to 2 x triggers needs a little time.
I would struggle with that too, I have a marked preference for twistgrip shifting and have only used those for the last eight years.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Very interesting! I had that issue with the controller from an 09 battery and the GSM. It is the controller not reading the direction the pedal is turning, strange that the Bafang one does that (less strange that an external controller doesn't understand the weird internal PAS of these motors).
I have a theory about that but need an oscilloscope to prove it.
The normal PAS disc has 6 or 12 magnets, those are spaced out such that the gap between the magnets is more than 10 x the diameter of the magnet. The waveform of the Hall output should have a rising edge, a decay edge separated by large gap 10 x plus of no signal. If the controller is programmed to recognize this arrangement, it can distinguish the direction of rotation (N-N is a rising edge when the disc rotates one way, N-S is the rising edge the opposite way). On the BBS and the GSM, there are over 40 magnets on the disc, they are arranged a lot closer together. The gap between magnets is as small as the diameter of the magnets, the gaps are not big enough to work out if the edge thee controller is seeing is a rising or a decaying.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
My next bike i am going to buy will be a riese muller ebike i am going to make sure it has a rohloff hub in it so i don't have to bother changing cassette and generally less maintaince but for the moment a chain and a cassette is fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
I have a theory about that but need an oscilloscope to prove it.
The normal PAS disc has 6 or 12 magnets, those are spaced out such that the gap between the magnets is more than 10 x the diameter of the magnet. The waveform of the Hall output should have a rising edge, a decay edge separated by large gap 10 x plus of no signal. If the controller is programmed to recognize this arrangement, it can distinguish the direction of rotation (N-N is a rising edge when the disc rotates one way, N-S is the rising edge the opposite way). On the BBS and the GSM, there are over 40 magnets on the disc, they are arranged a lot closer together. The gap between magnets is as small as the diameter of the magnets, the gaps are not big enough to work out if the edge thee controller is seeing is a rising or a decaying.
Found this earlier this evening.

“Startup Dgree(Signal No.): 4\4\4\4\2”
Karl, have you tried what happens when you pedal backwards? In my motors, setting this value to 2 will make PAS activate when pedalling backwards. That’s why I also keep it at 4 (or maybe 3).

I'll check tomorrow if I set this to 2 last month when I last tweeked the controller settings.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Confirmation and Fixed. Do not set “Startup Dgree(Signal No.)” to "2" on BBS02 and possibly other controllers. Pedalling backwards will trigger forward motion on the motor.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV and Woosh

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Happy with the results. Definitely easier than just Hub or Deraileurs for a commuter/tourer. Suspect if starting from scratch I would choose a Sturmey Archer F30.

bike.jpg

Reactions: flecc