Brompton conversion kit

curly7

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2024
Hi , I hope someone can help me. I have just purchased a second hand Brompton with a nano 36v 200w motor kit. The front wheel is the motor and everything seems to be there apart from the bag and the battery that clips onto the newly converted front carrier complete with copper side connectors. I would like to use a Bosch 36v 4amp battery but don’t know how to connect it to the front carrier. I assume it’s possible to by an adapter that the battery fits onto and then the carrier ?
I’ve been seatfor such a thing and can’t find anything. Any help would be appreciated, Regards curly

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi , I hope someone can help me. I have just purchased a second hand Brompton with a nano 36v 200w motor kit. The front wheel is the motor and everything seems to be there apart from the bag and the battery that clips onto the newly converted front carrier complete with copper side connectors. I would like to use a Bosch 36v 4amp battery but don’t know how to connect it to the front carrier. I assume it’s possible to by an adapter that the battery fits onto and then the carrier ?
I’ve been seatfor such a thing and can’t find anything. Any help would be appreciated, Regards curly
Why a Bosch one? Do you already have it? A hoverboard battery would be better than a Bosch one if you want a lightweight battery.

Whichever battery you use, you should connect directly to the controller rather than special contacts. If you follow the wires from those contacts, they should come to the connector on the controller, which are probably ordinary bullet connectors.

A Brompton with a Nano conversion an no battery or bag? Are you sure it's not nicked?

Reactions: Tony1951

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I assume it’s possible to by an adapter that the battery fits onto and then the carrier ?
The adapter is very likely unique to Nano, so they are probably the only source for a spare batterybag\adapter.

Odd for there to be no battery bag with the bike ?

curly7

May 3, 2024
Hi thank you for your reply, I have a Bosch 36v lawnmower and batteries and charger and I’ve only seen these being used but I’m open to better battery options, I just don’t know how I connect the battery to the Brompton front plate.
I was told when I bought it that someone had stolen the battery bag and cut the wires so I’m left with everything but.

curly7

May 3, 2024
My apologies I though I mentioned that the bag and battery were stolen when I purchased it

curly7

May 3, 2024
The adapter is very likely unique to Nano, so they are probably the only source for a spare batterybag\adapter.

Odd for there to be no battery bag with the bike ?
You may be correct, the nano website is down atm so will have to keep an eye out. I was wondering if there were any other options.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I was wondering if there were any other options.
You could try a standard 36V battery, the bag adapter on the front block is likely only two wires, + and -

However its possible the Nano controller is looking for the temperature sensor that is inside the Bosch batteries. It might do this in order to cut off the power if the battery starts to overheat. So whilst there are basic batteries out there, such as the hoverboard types, the Nano controller might be looking specifically for a Bosch power tool battery.

I was told when I bought it that someone had stolen the battery bag and cut the wires so I’m left with everything but.
Which wires were cut ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi thank you for your reply, I have a Bosch 36v lawnmower and batteries and charger and I’ve only seen these being used but I’m open to better battery options, I just don’t know how I connect the battery to the Brompton front plate.
There are no wires to cut. Why would anybody want to steal a battery for a Brompton Nano? What could they do with it? Brompton Nanos are quite rare. Who and where did you buy it from?

curly7

May 3, 2024
Why a Bosch one? Do you already have it? A hoverboard battery would be better than a Bosch one if you want a lightweight battery.

Whichever battery you use, you should connect directly to the controller rather than special contacts. If you follow the wires from those contacts, they should come to the connector on the controller, which are probably ordinary bullet connectors.

A Brompton with a Nano conversion an no battery or bag? Are you sure it's not nicked?
I like the sound a hoverboard battery as they appear to be half the price of a Bosch 32 v 4 amp
Would I get the same performance do you know ?
You could try a standard 36V battery, the bag adapter on the front block is likely only two wires, + and -

However its possible the Nano controller is looking for the temperature sensor that is inside the Bosch batteries. It might do this in order to cut off the power if the battery starts to overheat. So whilst there are basic batteries out there, such as the hoverboard types, the Nano controller might be looking specifically for a Bosch power tool battery.

Which wires were cut ?

curly7

May 3, 2024

I like the sound a hoverboard battery as they appear to be half the price of a Bosch 32 v 4 amp

Which wires were cut ?
The live and neutral coming from the Brompton front carrier plate

Attachments

curly7

May 3, 2024

The live and neutral coming from the Brompton front carrier plate
Excuse my lack of knowledge regarding this issue, I’m just guessing there should be an adapter of some sort that connects to the Bosch battery with wires going out to the controller

curly7

May 3, 2024
There are no wires to cut. Why would anybody want to steal a battery for a Brompton Nano? What could they do with it? Brompton Nanos are quite rare. Who and where did you buy it from?
I don’t know why , maybe because Bosch batteries are expensive so they just took the bag or just ripped the bag off. Got it used from Facebook market place with the understanding that the battery and bag and been stolen