10 Year Battery Warranty

D

Deleted member 4366

If I've understood it right: £40 for a service twice times 10 years equals £800. I can buy four 10aH Lifepo batteries for my bike for that price.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But despite that I can't see it working.

A Wisper battery may just about last three years, though a daily commuter may not be able to get it to last even that long.

At most they get £240 during that time, less any servicing costs, but the new battery costs £500 after PX allowance. It just doesn't add up.

And there's the 50% capacity before they will change the battery, impractical for many commuters on some of those models. They can't charge during a journey and the scheme only covers one battery.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I think the 10 year battery warranty is to boost sales
and Like Flecc points out a 50% capacity and change only one battery sounds like a scam :)

Last edited:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I absolutely agree with Flecc. If the offer wasn't from such a reputable retailer I would swear it was a scam.

If I had a Wisper or (new) Ezee, and was doing a daily commute you couldn't sign me up fast enough - although the small print highlighted by Flecc makes it appear to be a worthless scheme.:(

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This is bound to lead to disputes and disappointment. Yet again, more of this crazy over promising with regard to batteries.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I think Flecc will come up with a way to get the battery to 49% cap :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think Flecc will come up with a way to get the battery to 49% cap :D
Probably not worth doing though Steve.

Trouble is that on many e-bikes a battery will no longer be any use well before it's down to 50% capacity.

What happens with all the more powerful motors is that voltage slumps under load with a battery as it ages, leading to low voltage cut-outs. The battery can still have two thirds or more capacity at that point, but the rise in internal cell resistance reduces it's ability to deliver current at high enough rates.

But on a capacity check basis, it still wouldn't qualify for exchange with this scheme.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fortunately our e-bike Li-polymer batteries are made to higher standards and don't do that these days. Last we saw of that was with the old cobalt cathode li-ions of around five years ago.

RC and laptop batteries still seem suspect though, and even small consumer lithium batteries for phones etc can still be a bit dangerous.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Does that mean I am safe or not running my Li-ion 36 v 22 ah without a bms?
I removed it as it's faulty and will I get more power out of it? :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The BMS is very important when charging, but it doesn't control the usage while running. So you could damage the cells during charge or end up with unbalanced cells after charging.

If the BMS has a usage low voltage safety cut-out, without it you could run cells into damaging low voltage regions

Last edited:

TeTs.BiZ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2009
Hello,
The 10 year battery warranty isn't a scam, it's just an offer that we think will be useful for customers who do a lot of commuting. If the bike is used for many miles in all weathers then it will need servicing... if we do this twice a year then we can be sure the bike is in good order and we'll offer the replacement battery as and when it is needed. Obviously the servicing costs go some way to enabling us to cover this cost.
We note the comment about the 50% capacity restriction - your feedback is appreciated. If this is too low, any suggestions as to what the battery capacity should be for it to still be useful? What do you think Flecc?

Jamie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Obviously it will vary for owners Jamie, but since most commuters seem to use much of their capacity, anything below 70% can become a problem. 50% is unlikely to meet most needs.

The biggest problem seems to be the financing though. I don't see the Wisper battery lasting more then three years for a daily commuter using much of it's capacity, and probably not for anyone. For example your income of £240 over that period won't cover your replacement cost of the £500 retail Wisper battery and the service costs as well. Something will have to give.

D

Deleted member 4366

For example your income of £240 over that period won't cover your replacement cost of the £500 retail Wisper battery and the service costs as well. Something will have to give.
Don't forget, it'll only be a very few people that will actually claim.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Does everyone remeber this one!

Hoover's free flights fiasco recalled

When Hoover's free flights promotion was launched to a wide-eyed British public in August 1992, it seemed too good to be true. Over the next 21 months, many Hoover customers discovered it was. :D

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I remember it very well Steve as I was one who was affected. To their great credit, Hoover sorted it for me as they did for nearly everybody involved.

Strangely, I cannot recall what I bought to become eligible for the flights offer but I really can't remember having anything with a Hoover name tag in my house....?

Indalo......F..k me; Ghana have just equalised!

D

Deleted member 4366

I think there's a bit of difference between spending £100 on a Hoover and getting a free holiday and spending £800 and getting a battery that's probably worth less. I personally don't believe it's much of an incentive apart from for those that aren't smart enough to figure it out.