1000w ebike ???

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I,m afraid Morphix you are wasting your time on here.
This Forum could exert plenty of influence over the things you mention..Generally posters are apathetic with some defending their freedom to break law to the hilt..
A few take a similar stance but not many.
Many argue its been like this years, and historically the authorities have turned a blind eye , assuming this will continue to be the case.
Ebikes/ Pedelecs will soon under go an explosion in their usage. Numbers are growing and soon this growth will be exponential. When that happens,along with the inevitable accidents the authorities will have to change their approach.
We will all lose out, I suspect emtb,s more than anyone else.
The Forum should be managing and guiding folk to legal bikes. It chooses not to, actually openly helping to promote the things we are moaning about..
It really is crazy..
You will be met with derision and sarcasm pointing any of this out..( as above)
That's very unfortunate. I agree, the forum doesn't do enough to emphasize the inherent dangers and risks to themselves, to other members of the public, and the entire e-bike industry of riding clearly illegal bikes in public places.

I can guarantee you one thing though, Cycle Charge will never be accepting anyone with illegal bikes as members. And if we find anyone using charge points with illegal bikes they will be banned. Nor we will be supplying subsidized batteries to illegal bike owners or sellers.

When I roll out the new website we'll make it crystal clear what's legal and what's not and play our part, as members of the BEBA!

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Which 30mph would you most prefer to get hit at? Confusing isn't it. :)
Not confusing at all. If you're riding an e-bike with a motor larger than 250W or capable of going faster than 15.5mph without pedaling, you're breaking the law.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
When I roll out the new website we'll make it crystal clear what's legal and what's not and play our part, as members of the BEBA!
That'll make interesting reading. :)

250W is perfectly sufficient anyway for most riders...if you have high enough gearing and a light bike, you can easily hit speeds of 23mph on the flat and 30mph+ downhill. 23mph is about at the limit I'd say an e-bike should be going under power
Especially seeing as you've personally tweaked the ebike acceptable speed limit up by 7.5mph already. What else will you be tweaking. Suits you sir? :D

Not confusing at all. If you're riding an e-bike with a motor larger than 250W or capable of going faster than 15.5mph without pedaling, you're breaking the law.
Well Sir, you've confused me. So, which is it. 15 or 23mph? :) Oh, I get it. 15 is 'the law' but you're quite ok with 23mph on a personal level. So you're personally ok with breaking the law. Is that about right? Or did I miss your point entirely?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
BEBA hasn't existed for quite some time now.

Its the Bicycle Association now for a number of reasons.
I've been out of the loop for a year, so thanks for letting me know! Glad someone did. Has it just renamed/merged or actually closed down, and what happened to the founders, Whisper?

That's a worrying development. The BEBA was very important to the industry and I don't think you can lump the e-bike industry with the regular bicycle industry association. They are very different.

Mar 9, 2016
That'll make interesting reading. :)

Especially seeing as you've personally tweaked the ebike acceptable speed limit up by 7.5mph already. What else will you be tweaking. Suits you sir? :D

Well Sir, you've confused me. So, which is it. 15 or 23mph? :) Oh, I get it. 15 is 'the law' but you're quite ok with 23mph on a personal level. So you're personally ok with breaking the law. Is that about right? Or did I miss your point entirely?
I think you are deliberately clouding the issue. This happens on here a lot, folk then exploit the fog and buy/ sell/ ride illegal motorbikes.

You know full well what points he is making .

No point talking to black labs.It was the dog melud.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
A quick thought....

In the UK electric bike use generally is pretty paltry, so this conversation occurs based on lots of assumptions and speculation.

If we look towards other countries where electric bikes are a lot more popular, has there ever been a ban on any area of ebike use due to the use of illegal bikes? I know in China that there was a recent crackdown of non-pedal scooter style bikes, but even there, traditional ebikes are still okay.

EDIT: In fact, let's take it further - Has there ever been a ban of ANYTHING legal due to illegal use of the very same thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Morphix
Please pm me with details ..think Forum is sick of me so will be win win...
Pity this one cant be more responsible.
Take care.
Thanks Flud. I'm beginning to see a lot has changed in the short time I've been away. And not for the good either.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You know full well what points he is making .
I know what he said Flud. Was it me that clouded that by quoting him then?

From my viewpoint, the whole thing is very cloudy indeed. Maybe you could lend me your silver lining glasses? :)

EDIT - I do like your posts Flud. You keep things 'balanced' as you see them. :)

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
A quick thought....

In the UK electric bike use generally is pretty paltry, so this conversation occurs based on lots of assumptions and speculation.

If we look towards other countries where electric bikes are a lot more popular, has there ever been a ban on any area of ebike use due to the use of illegal bikes? I know in China that there was a recent crackdown of non-pedal scooter style bikes, but even there, traditional ebikes are still okay.

EDIT: In fact, let's take it further - Has there ever been a ban of ANYTHING legal due to illegal use of the very same thing?
Thinking further about this, a good parallel is the use of air weapons. They can be difficult to distinguish from an illegal firearm, but they've never been banned.

The more I think about it, the less likely it seems like a general ban would occur due to the use of illegal bikes.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
there is no chance of a general ban, there isn't enough interest in this to even generate column interest in the daily fail (or flud would be hanging out on the letters pages instead of trolling on here.) much less any kind of real action.

Thanks Flud. I'm beginning to see a lot has changed in the short time I've been away. And not for the good either.
bit harsh man, to be fair since flud appointed himself resident troll/forum police, this forum has changed from a friendly helpful place to discuss/get advice on ebikes, to a friendly helpful place to discuss/get advice on ebikes with a resident troll/forum police.

(and to be fair, when flud isn't on his soapbox, he seems just as keen to participate and be helpful as anyone else around here)

wouldn't get too carried away - spirit and actions of this forum doesn't seem to have changed in the last couple of years to me, except for the above :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been out of the loop for a year, so thanks for letting me know! Glad someone did. Has it just renamed/merged or actually closed down, and what happened to the founders, Whisper?
For a while Wisper merged with Freego, but later they agreed to part again. As part of that to establish a separate identity again and to establish that he represented some other bike marques, David Miall changed the company name Wisper to Amps Electric Bikes.

He still sells the familiar 705 to 905/6 Wisper models but also some German e-bikes:

Amps Electric Bikes

BEBA merged into The Bicycle Association since it was thought their interests had so much in common and there is strength in a larger organisation.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A quick thought....

Full bore handguns are now banned, as are automatic weapons.
And knifes now require a lot more care. When I were a lad as a 5 year old I could buy a knife and use it for cutting wood etc.

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can buy any cal gun as long as you have the right licence for it and prove you have a use for it.

ie you cant get a machine gun for taking out rabbits ;)

i have a real hand made katana from Japan and is reg with the police.

stateless steal are banned unless you are in a dojo ken jitsu club.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
you can buy any cal gun as long as you have the right licence for it and prove you have a use for it.

ie you cant get a machine gun for taking out rabbits ;)

i have a real hand made katana from Japan and is reg with the police.

stateless steal are banned unless you are in a dojo ken jitsu club.
Section 5 is quite explicit. Yes you can access some wpns. But fulbore pistols, sawn off shotguns, APFSDS are all illegal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The supply of lock knives is now totally banned, this resulting from their popularity in carrying out stabbings. For quite a while they were the weapon of choice for this purpose, so easy to carry yet very safe in use ( for the user!).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with a 50 cal it must be single shot bolt action rifle. and no tracer rounds armour piercing ect

easy way to get a section 1 licence is get a boat that can go out to sea as a flair gun needs a section 1 licence.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
The supply of lock knives is now totally banned, this resulting from their popularity in carrying out stabbings. For quite a while they were the weapon of choice for this purpose, so easy to carry yet very safe in use ( for the user!).

Uhhhhmmmm you sure? Illegal to carry in public without a good reason sure but you can buy and sell quite happily afaik

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Flick/gravity/balisong all illegal but lock just treated as fixed blade not folding?