12 Hours

C

Cyclezee

Yesterday morning I left home in MK at 6.30 and drove to Maidenhead. I arrived at 7.45 and by prior arrangement with George, bought his non running Ezee Quando for the agreed price of £70.
A week earlier, I won this same bike in George's eBay auction for £201.11 with the understanding that if I was not happy with it I could walk away as it was being sold in working order. When I arrived to collect my auction prize via a trip to visit my daughter in London, I took a fully charged battery with me as George had told me that his battery just died under load. When the bike was wheeled out I turned the switch, both the controller light and the battery meter light came on. Next I fitted my battery and went for a test ride, this lasted all of 20 yards before the bike ground to a halt. The controller led and the battery meter lights had gone out, switching the key on/off produced a clunk from the motor and the front light came on for a split second, but nothing more.

I explained to George that I thought the controller had died for what ever reason and it would need to be replaced before the bike would run. George said OK, I could have it as it was for £100, or he keep it get it fixed and re sell it. I turned down his offer, we shook hands and I drove away.

Later in the week, I read on the forum that Dave in Guildford had several Ezee parts, motors, charger, wheels and a Mk1 Torq available. This started me thinking again about the Quando. So I agreed to collect everything from Dave for £50, then I phoned George and enquired about the Quando, he had not done anything with it and we agreed I could have it for £70.

By 8.00 yesterday morning I have the Quando in the back of my car and am heading to Guildford. Before 9.00, I am in Dave's garage and collecting a well used and venerable Torq with 40,000 miles under it wheels (yes, 40,000 that's not a typo), a couple of spare motors, tyres, wheels and a charger in new condition.

By 10.30 I have arrived back in MK and am unloading my booty. The first thing I do after a cup of coffee is to take the Quando apart and check all the wiring, but it looks OK. Then I took the controller apart, it looks like water damage, so it goes straight in the bin. I know the controller on the Torq is working as I have had it running. So I remove the controller from the Torq and test it on the Quando and it works perfectly, once I get the phase wires connected in the correct sequence that is:eek: Yellow to green, green to blue and blue to yellow:confused:
Next I needed to shorten the motor phase and Hall wires to fit the Quando more neatly. This involves re wiring a JST plug and some new bullet connectors. Checked again that everyting is working and start about heatshrinking the cable tying. The battery conector plate on the Torq was like new so I used it on the Quando along with the key switch which has 2 spare keys. I also salvaged the battery meter clamp and rear light bulb from the Torq.

By 18.00, I have lubed the chain, pumped up the tyres and taken the Quando for a ride:)

Now I have pile of bits including 2 almost dead batteries and a Torq in need of major restoration, I think that is going to take longer than 12 hours.

Many thanks to George and Dave,

J:) hn

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Not bad going John -for a reasonable outlay! Really glad the old Torq came in handy -I expect to see her up for sale on Ebay [fully refurbished with high spec parts] in a few months so I can re-buy her !!!
40 000 miles +[ all derestricted] is quite true -despite the bike being a little knackered - the electrics / motor still running true. A testament to Ezee quality
----Cheers Mr Ching---- Cheers Aldby !!!!!

C

Cyclezee

Not bad going John -for a reasonable outlay! Really glad the old Torq came in handy -I expect to see her up for sale on Ebay [fully refurbished with high spec parts] in a few months so I can re-buy her !!!
40 000 miles +[ all derestricted] is quite true -despite the bike being a little knackered - the electrics / motor still running true. A testament to Ezee quality
----Cheers Mr Ching---- Cheers Aldby !!!!!
Indeed Dave, a very durable machine. Don't hold your breath for the refurbed Torq though, it will take a while...........at least a week:D

Photos of the Quando with old and 10Ah Phylion and 1 year old 14Ah batteries, plus the venerable Torq.

P1040900.JPGP1040901.JPGP1040902.JPG

J:) hn​

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So I remove the controller from the Torq and test it on the Quando and it works perfectly, once I get the phase wires connected in the correct sequence that is:eek: Yellow to green, green to blue and blue to yellow.
These colour codes as shown on my Torq 1 site on this link John. :)

Nice achievement on that Quando, unusually it's the fully suspended Quando 1 version, you should be able to pogo along well on that! :D

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the info Tony;)

I referred to a copy of the Service Manual which has wiring diagrams for all models. It can be downloaded in pdf from NYCEWheels along with other helpful documents. eZeebike tech documents and help .
I understand what you mean about the rear suspension, but I actually find it quite comfortable over rough surfaces.

I am concerened about the punture resistance of the Kenda Kwest tyres, so I will probably splash out and buy a pair of M+ or maybe Big Apples.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am concerned about the puncture resistance of the Kenda Kwest tyres, so I will probably splash out and buy a pair of M+ or maybe Big Apples.

I left the Kendas on my Quando until I converted it to the Q-bike, doing about 1200 miles on them. During that time I had numerous punctures on the trailer I was towing with it, but not a single puncture on the Quando's Kendas.

I changed to MPs as a precaution when I did the Q conversion, and eventually got my only puncture ever on that bike in the rear MP.

So the Kendas did well, as they also did for a bit over a year on the Torq 1 without a single puncture, after that fitting MPs.

C

Cyclezee

I left the Kendas on my Quando until I converted it to the Q-bike, doing about 1200 miles on them. During that time I had numerous punctures on the trailer I was towing with it, but not a single puncture on the Quando's Kendas.

I changed to MPs as a precaution when I did the Q conversion, and eventually got my only puncture ever on that bike in the rear MP.

So the Kendas did well, as they also did for a bit over a year on the Torq 1 without a single puncture, after that fitting MPs.
OK Tony,

I will leave the Kendas on for the time being, I quite like the feel of them. Your recommendation is good enough for me. But I really don't want a puncture on the rear as that would be a real pain to fix out on the road.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did manage to repair that one rear puncture with the wheel in, and mine's a converted Quando 2 with lots of frame, carrier, dual stands folding to the side, and towing elements in the way. Your one is much clearer in that area:

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Just downloaded some photos from my phone, one shows the phase wires colour sequence before I disconnected the faulty controller, should have checked and saved some time doh:eek:
PIC019.jpg
Quando 1.jpg

J:) hn​

C

Cyclezee

Hi Dave,

Just to let you know that your old Torq is now restored and fully working.............well bits of it are;) on a Torq II, a wheel rim from one of the spare wheels, bottle carrier and that's it.

The frame and forks were donated to a recycling centre that sends bike bits to Africa, the rest of the parts are in a big box for some future project.

But seriously, without the controller from your Torq, the Quando might have taken the same route to Africa, but it lives on in Milton Keynes.

Thanks again Dave.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the update John
I knew there were a couple of good bits left on the old girl !!! Reminds me of when the old Cunard liners were put out to pasture. How legends are born etc !!
About time you got involved in the Ebike building biz ---the Ezee kit is very appetising -I'm seriously considering fitting one to my old 26" Claude Butler.
With your new connections is there any chance of getting me a Titanium T1 for test purposes [Illegaly fast motor please] ?!!

C

Cyclezee

About time you got involved in the Ebike building biz ---the Ezee kit is very appetising -I'm seriously considering fitting one to my old 26" Claude Butler.
With your new connections is there any chance of getting me a Titanium T1 for test purposes [Illegaly fast motor please] ?!!
Anything is possible Dave............at a price!

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
John
despite what I said regarding my love of the Glens [Stolen Wisper thread] in this instance you must try to forget you are a first and foremost a Scotsman.
Instead - an Ezee ebiking evangelist spreading Mr Ching's word to all across the land. With the help of a few select desciples on Titanium T1 's.
Yes I know --
got home early - a glass of Jura to far.

C

Cyclezee

2 into 1

Here is the reincarnation Dave with parts from your old bike, one wheel rim and well worn Marathon Plus tyres pumped up to 90 PSI. A couple of other parts are still to be fitted.

Torq II 1.jpgTorq II 2.jpg

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Very nice work John - bike looks great too.
Those tyres were well used - no punctures though. I have to ask - was it you who picked up the much maligned Wisper recently sold on on Ebay !!?

C

Cyclezee

Very nice work John - bike looks great too.
Those tyres were well used - no punctures though. I have to ask - was it you who picked up the much maligned Wisper recently sold on on Ebay !!?
Any idea how many miles the M+'s have done? I put another 20 on them this afternoon and they roll really well as they are almost slicks.

No Dave I didn't buy the Wisper, not my cup of tea. I much prefer eZee bikes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bought by a forum member as it got so much publicity here.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
I would estimate approx 23000 miles on the Marathons John [2nd pair]. I stuck with the Kendas for the first year I used the bike - then upgrading to the first set of M+. They last a long time - I really hammered them - not a single puncture.
They do ride like slicks- a little slippy in the wet though.They were great in the recent heavy snow . With reduced pressure they never failed to get me to work and back without mishap. Mind you the Torq handles really well in adverse conditions - the front hub provides excellent traction
90 psi --that's a hard ride on a Torq !! Good for speed though--- I chicken out around 70. Just fitted a new pair of 32's on my replacement Ezee.