12miles on cycle track Ah?

sam_uk

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2014
Hi all

I'm considering a ebike for a regular 24 mile round trip. I would be able to recharge for a 3-5 hours at the mid way point. I'm guessing I need about 14ah at 36v lithium for this?

It would all be along an off-road cycle track. Do the 200w rules apply to off-road cycle paths?

I was thinking of building my own 'pushalong' powered cycle trailer, Ideally I think i'd like a 500w motor.

Surely If I completely remove the throttle cable/ bike link to the trailer for the short on-road stretch then I wouldn't be riding an ebike for that section? I'd just be towing a battery in a cycle trailer?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sam

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I'd use something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKIIDDII-SINGLE-WHEEL-CARGO-BICYCLE-BIKE-TRAILER-/291118880318?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43c809963e with one of these on it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-bike-conversion-kit-with-80mm-250w-mini-hub-motor-16-wheel-no-battery-/130986598182 if you want to be legal, or just have a wheel laced with http://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/580-q11-48v1kw-front-driving-hub-motor-e-bike-conversion-kit.html to be badass!

A trailer with no swivel i.e. bolts to the dropouts will be better for pushing.

DISCLAIMER - I don't advocate illegal setups, just pointing out the options

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Do the 200w rules apply to off-road cycle paths?

I was thinking of building my own 'pushalong' powered cycle trailer, Ideally I think i'd like a 500w motor.

Surely If I completely remove the throttle cable/ bike link to the trailer for the short on-road stretch then I wouldn't be riding an ebike for that section? I'd just be towing a battery in a cycle trailer?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sam
The accepted limit is 250w continuous & applies to road & use on any land to which the public has access.

A pusher trailer is not allowed.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
12ah 36 volt lithium should easily do this.
Rules of thumb.
Energy (watt hours)......
Heavy cheap bike uses more.
Hills use more.
Throttle uses more.
Fat tires small wheels use more.
Lazy fat cyclist( me) use more.
Stop start cycling uses more.
Wind(exposed conditions) bad
Suspension uses more.
Off road/ bad surface eats power too.
Assist above 16 mph uses more.
That is a list of the down sides!

Best combo is good bike on good surface with geared drive ( hub or crank) with steady 12 mph and no wind gets miles and miles. And even more if you peddlepeddle

Reactions: RobF

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No dodges to avoid the law are possible unless with the owner's permission on completely private land to which the public has no access. As Jackhandy says, when in legal use, 250 watts is permitted due to a DfT waiver.

The only legal e-bike classifications apply to two wheel bicycles and tricycles conforming to the law. There is no legal classification for powered trailers, and an argument that the connected trailer means it's a quad bike won't work, for those are excluded from having e-power.

Basically the law says that if something is capable of operating under power, even when temporarily out of action for some reason, it's classification remains the same.